Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spiral Vase Z lift problem on mendel90

Posted by dagusi 
Spiral Vase Z lift problem on mendel90
December 04, 2013 01:49PM
Sorry but I don't know if there it's a better place to ask this.

I have a mendel90 variation printer with ramps 1.4 on an arduino UNO and 4 pololous a4988, I'm running marlin on the arduino and repetier host on the PC (I dont have the SD reader, it's on the way from china)

I usually use KISslicer for my gcode but some models and single wall spiral vases are sliced on slic3r, works better.
All my print are comming out great but today I did my first Vase and one of the 2 Z steppers does not rotate properly, anyway if I do any motion it works great from the manual control on repetier host, but on the spiral is skips steps, but the other stepper goes on and both are connected to the same A4988. MEchanically everything it's ok, all part work great and on manual moves everything moves properly, running the G code fails.

I don't know where to look for the problem really, no clue.

someone have had the same problem? or any ideas? wires are ok, connections are ok, motor and driver are cold when running. mechanics are smooth.
Re: Spiral Vase Z lift problem on mendel90
December 04, 2013 02:26PM
dagusi
Sorry but I don't know if there it's a better place to ask this.

I have a mendel90 variation printer with ramps 1.4 on an arduino UNO and 4 pololous a4988, I'm running marlin on the arduino and repetier host on the PC (I dont have the SD reader, it's on the way from china)

I usually use KISslicer for my gcode but some models and single wall spiral vases are sliced on slic3r, works better.
All my print are comming out great but today I did my first Vase and one of the 2 Z steppers does not rotate properly, anyway if I do any motion it works great from the manual control on repetier host, but on the spiral is skips steps, but the other stepper goes on and both are connected to the same A4988. MEchanically everything it's ok, all part work great and on manual moves everything moves properly, running the G code fails.

I don't know where to look for the problem really, no clue.

someone have had the same problem? or any ideas? wires are ok, connections are ok, motor and driver are cold when running. mechanics are smooth.

Ramps runs on a an Arduino Mega, have you checked the driver current going to the motors?
December 04, 2013 03:53PM
z axis should be 2-3mm/s. my guess is that the spiraling is very taxing on the z axis, either it is running too fast to begin with, or overheating (pulsing on and off). try settings the max speed of z axis in repetier host software to 2-3mm/s or 180mm/m
December 04, 2013 07:02PM
current it's ok, I will try with the speed change. on KISslicer I have it on 6mm/s and works ok, on slicer I don't see an option for Z speed, I will check the settings on marlin and repetier.
December 05, 2013 07:27AM
Spiralling should only move Z very slowly but it will be continuously. My guess would be the firmware is configured to turn Z off between moves and the current is set too high so when it is moving continuously the driver overheats.

Make sure Z is not set to be disabled between moves and see if the driver then overheats.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 09, 2013 11:56AM
z is set to be on always. the controller it's not overheating and only one of the 2 z steppers it's stopping, so, I think I will disassemble and reassemble everything. Must be something mechanic.
March 15, 2014 09:49AM
dagusi, did you ever discover the cause of this problem? I'm having exactly the same problem.

-Mark.
March 15, 2014 12:40PM
My guess would be the opposite of what has been suggested. Since one motor moves every time it is clearly not the driver overheating or the firmware or the slicing software. So that would leave not enough current to move one microstep at a time, I would increase the current a little.

Also Cura has spiral vase mode as well if you want to avoid the issues with Slic3r bugs and still have spiral printing.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login