Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the best way to store filament?

Posted by trsills 
What is the best way to store filament?
December 07, 2013 09:28PM
How are you guys storing your filament when not in use? I just got the 3D printer bug and now that I've got my machine up and running, I'm starting to collect spools of filament. I have 5 1kg spools of 1.75mm PLA.

I've been searching online and in the forum and have not come across a whole lot of info other than moisture absorption is a problem that should be addressed. But which is a good way to easily manage the spools as I swap them in and out for prints?

TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2013 09:29PM by trsills.
Re: What is the best way to store filament?
December 07, 2013 10:14PM
Best is not to collect spools of material grinning smiley
I have red in one of the companies that sell filament webpage that good idea is to put spools inside a plastic container and store a bucket full of rise next to it. That should collect moisture.
December 08, 2013 08:03AM
would a "dead" fridge help? storing welding rods in a non-working fridge and they're fine ... the seal keeps moisture out.
A2
December 08, 2013 09:27AM
The Filament Safe - 3D Printing Material Storage Solution
Perception Engineering, LLC
Grand Rapids, MI
[www.kickstarter.com]

[www.perceptioneng.com]
December 08, 2013 11:43AM
If moisture is the problem, I would store in any container with a resonably air tight seal and add some silica gel or other desiccant. Probably in a sock, stocking or some other way to keep it contained while allowing moisture flow rather than just in the bottom of the container. But I'm not sure it's a big deal if you regularly refresh it presuming you don't accidentally spill it all over the floor one day.

The Kickstarter stalls/safes look interesting but it seems to me any container which would fit your spools and which are resonably air tight would work okay when combined with a desiccant. In other words, I imagine many general purpose containers would do. Perhaps not as good as the safes (presuming they are really as airtight as claimed), but how much of a problem moisture is and how long do you intend to keep your spools?

As for a desiccant, here in NZ you can get stuff like this [www.damprid.com] but it's probably a little expensive. I would suggest some other source, e.g. silica gel cat litter (here in NZ which usually isn't the cheapest place for things although we are fairly cat nuts, you can get a bag of 2-3kg or so for about NZ$7), or this has other suggestions [www.ar15.com]

P.S. Diamondage recommends something similar [diamondage.co.nz] . They also suggest vacuum sealable bags. I was thinking of that but was wondering if it may be a little annoying and/or expensive, particularly if you want regular access but worth considering.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 02:20PM by Nil Einne.
December 08, 2013 09:45PM
Thanks for the responses. I'd forgot about rice and what it could do to absorb moisture. I'll look into finding an airtight container big enough to hold my growing collection of filament ;-)
December 09, 2013 11:29PM
I'm new to 3d printing and just finished my Prusa i3. It's working very well. I've been reading alot about storage and I'm using dessicant in a 5-gallon airtight food storage bucket. I have a hygrometer in it and it gets down to about 1.7% humidity. I assume that is going to work well for me.

I do have one concern. I read that ABS can absorb enough moisture to cause problems in just 12 hours. How then can you have prints running for several days without having problems? Do you need a roll of ABS for each day and switch them out daily?
December 10, 2013 10:09PM
I use Rubbermaid tubs with really good seals in the bottom I have a layer that has holes cutout towards the bottom and under that I fill it with kitty litter. The filament sits above the birch wood with the holes in it. I've been using this method for about a year now with no issues. I also throw in those little packets you get with shoes etc that sucks up moisture. I rotate packets and litter every few months.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login