Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anywhere else to get Gen 3 kits other than Makerbot?

Posted by TomReinke 
Anywhere else to get Gen 3 kits other than Makerbot?
October 09, 2009 02:07AM
I've been looking around and the only other place that seems to sell Gen 3 parts is bits from bytes, but they're a little on the expensive side and they don't sell their parts in individual pieces, they sell them as kits so if I was to mess something up I'd be SOL on that piece.

Where do you guys all shop for your bits and pieces of your Rep Raps?

Also: Anyone have any word on why Makerbot is so slow to get more products out the door? I've been watching that Gen 3 fully built kit for a little while now and it's been out of stock for quite a bit. :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 02:08AM by TomReinke.
they just did a complete batch of bots and they are gearing up for another batch of bots so all the parts are currently going for more bots.
Re: Anywhere else to get Gen 3 kits other than Makerbot?
October 09, 2009 12:50PM
I frankly don't see that situation changing any time soon. From what I've heard, Makerbot is selling the Cupcake printer as fast as they can make them. That makes keeping extra controller kits for repstrappers a bit of a difficult situation.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
October 09, 2009 02:03PM
So do I have any alternatives as to where I can get the Gen 3 parts that are the same versions as the one as in those kits?

My senior project is riding on getting these parts - so maybe I should talk to the guy in charge of MakerBot and offer some money on top for the kit? :/
October 09, 2009 02:11PM
What do you mean with Gen. 3 parts?
October 09, 2009 02:27PM
[dev.www.reprap.org]

I suppose I could just get the PCB's and do the soldering myself. That'd be more fun anyways. smiling smiley
October 09, 2009 03:14PM
OK, the BfB electronics kit is not the same as the Gen 3 RepRap electronics. Its a completely standalone solution. Totally separate solutions.
October 10, 2009 01:21AM
unfold Wrote:
> OK, the BfB electronics kit is not the same as the
> Gen 3 RepRap electronics. Its a completely
> standalone solution. Totally separate solutions.

And, it appears, quite a good one.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
October 10, 2009 04:30AM
Forrest Higgs Wrote:
> And, it appears, quite a good one.

Yes, definitely! but less modular, if you are looking to build your own machine that might be a disadvantage no?
October 10, 2009 09:32AM
I think you're probably in pretty good shape with the firmware as long as you are using NEMA steppers and belts. The extruder firmware code could be a problem what with BitsFromBytes use of a threaded rod driven extruder when everybody else is using pinch wheels.

Thomas A. Edison
October 12, 2009 03:53AM
If anyone has an extra [www.digikey.com] laying around and is willing to part with it I'd be more than happy to take it off of their hands for them because that's the only thing besides the bare PCB's for the Stepper Motor Drivers v2.3 that I can't find.
October 12, 2009 06:31AM
Hi, I don't know what country you're in, but I got my driver for board v2.3, in the UK, from Farnell, who have operations in many places across the world.

Hazel.
October 12, 2009 10:08AM
The A3949SLB-T is actually for the extruder. The one that you linked to is the A3982SLB-T, but I managed to find the chip I was looking for on that website. grinning smiley

Now I just need to find some blank PCB's for the v2.3 Stepper motor drivers.
October 12, 2009 10:13AM
confused smiley
I thought you wanted the stepper motor driver chip for the stepper motor driver v2.3 board? That is the part I have on my stepper motor driver boards 2.3......

After re-reading, I think I understand - it was, perhaps, a little ambiguous! Sorry.
Anyway, glad it helped you out!!
Farnell, here at least, are excellent.

Hazel.
October 12, 2009 01:34PM
Okay. Bought all the PCB's minus the Stepper Motor Driver v2.3.

Time to get this ball rolling. smiling smiley

I'll be spending a lot of time in the IRC from now on. tongue sticking out smiley
October 12, 2009 02:24PM
I have to ask, what is IRC?
October 27, 2009 12:58AM
Well, it's official, there are no more Stepper Motor Driver PCB's or Kits left, anyone know where I can get PCB's for the Stepper Motor Drivers? Anyone know someone who has some?
October 27, 2009 07:22AM
whats wrong with the 1.2 stepper?
Still in stock.

[store.makerbot.com]

Stephen
October 27, 2009 08:56AM
In the US, you can order any custom PCBs you want from [www.batchpcb.com] It takes about 3 weeks to get it and will cost more than getting it from MakerBot. I believe all the source files you need to send them are available either on the MakerBot site or reprap.org.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login