Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MakerBeam and RepRap: Bearing Free Axis Constraints

Posted by Sam Putman 
MakerBeam and RepRap: Bearing Free Axis Constraints
October 18, 2009 04:00PM
Hi RepRap community!

I'm working on an open source project with relevance to the RepRap project.

It's called MakerBeam, and it's a miniature version of T-slot, which is used in many larger-scale CNC machines and other machine enclosure/automation purposes. Mini-T is 10x10mm in profile; existing T-slots start at 20x20mm and tend to be proprietary systems.

When we launched this project we had one eye on Cartesian control. I just finished watching the video on Mendel's axis constraints and I'm more convinced than ever that MakerBeam may allow for a simplified RepRap that can print more of its own parts.

Basically the beam is a squared cross section of extruded aluminum with slots running down each of the sides. By printing a slide bearing that fits into the slots, both rotation and skew are effectively constrained. An alternative would be linear ball bearings but in either case you have improved orthogonality and resistance to rotation around the constrained axis.

That's the idea anyway :-) We've raised funds to manufacture the beam and connectors and have started the tooling, and we're planning to make it available to the public in May of 2010. There are a few days left to get on the Beta team, which ships in February.

URLs:

[www.makerbeam.com]

[www.kickstarter.com] This has a lot of our content, including the video

[www.thingiverse.com] Our profile in printable form. Erik de Bruijn has had good luck printing the 1.5 scale version and connecting it together with M3 bolts.

We intend to get a 3d printer, probably a MakerBot, and start building and modifying a Mendel frame to work with MakerBeam. We'll keep the community up to date on this as it happens; nothing is likely to take place before 2010 given our production obligations between now and then.

If anyone feels inspired to get some beam and jump the gun on this, you're more than welcome. Ideally let us know so that we don't duplicate work.

That's it, really. I'm a total beginner to the RepRap project so it may take awhile before I have anything sensible to contribute. But I'll be around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login