Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

who decides to close a thread

Posted by jinx 
who decides to close a thread
January 02, 2014 06:14AM
HI,
"who decides to close a thread" is a group, a single admin/moderator. seen a few thread disappear or closed because an individual doesn't like the way a discussion is heading,,well isn't that just censorship of the worst kind. We all grown adults all with different views on a "tomato" . Do we really need to be told how too say it!!. or type in fear off "I may offend someone" and have my thread removed.. lets not start to stifle a debate solely on the grounds an idea a may offended a few. and IF a member becomes rude too another member, am sure that rude member gonna find himself in a lonely place.

HAPPY NEW YEAR. and pleasant printing too all
Re: who decides to close a thread
January 02, 2014 07:22AM
Didn't you read this part?

Feel free to open a new one

Closing threads is simply a way to interrupt overheated discussions. This way everybody has to step back for a moment, usually this also means they re-think about what's the real topic.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 02, 2014 07:46AM
hi,,

well i did but it doesn't make much sense to me chopping a thread in half to diffuse a few heated replies, that then disrupts the flow of the thread what happens when one half is lost in the forum abyss.

This way everybody has to step back for a moment, usually this also means they re-think about what's the real topic.
that makes a lot sense, but a well placed banana thrown at wrong doers may well be enough to bring the discussion back into order! or even a well written note from moderators "we have taken an interest " please refrain from insulting one another.hot smiley
January 02, 2014 08:07AM
jinx
hi,,

well i did but it doesn't make much sense to me chopping a thread in half to diffuse a few heated replies, that then disrupts the flow of the thread what happens when one half is lost in the forum abyss.

This way everybody has to step back for a moment, usually this also means they re-think about what's the real topic.
that makes a lot sense, but a well placed banana thrown at wrong doers may well be enough to bring the discussion back into order! or even a well written note from moderators "we have taken an interest " please refrain from insulting one another.hot smiley

it really depends on the thread, some threads are started with a hidden agenda and are only ever going to go one way or the other and closing them is really the only sensible option, threads where a spectating moderator is lurking have in the past been warned and the direction of the thread brought back on topic, sometimes it's done through private message.

ultimately it's something you assess thread by thread

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

January 02, 2014 06:38PM
that OP and his recently closed thread was shameless and I have to say, very un-American.

I appreciate the closing of it and the diligence of the moderators.

Well done.
January 03, 2014 03:20AM
HI,
after reading again and rereading " takes a few reads to sink in ". I fully appreciate the moderator move to calm the recent thread, and as I recall some of the other thread that were heading down a similar road,, If my off the cuff comment of " censorship " has offended any of the moderators I apologise.
wasn't my plan to accuse any of the moderators of censorship " please excuse my poorly chosen word " merely interested in how the moderators came to the conclusion to close a thread.
January 03, 2014 05:32AM

very un-American

You mean, like appropriate for 97% of the world population? smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 03, 2014 07:06AM
As someone who actively partook in the mentioned thread, I wondered when the moderators would jump in to calm the situation, but I didn't expect the closure of the thread without any warning (that was visible to me, anyway). In some earlier cases, I have seen the mods step to action by calling out users for inappropriate actions / words, so immediate closure took me a little bit by surprise. Still, closing the thread was maybe the best thing to do in the end.
That being said, I may be partially guilty of letting things get out of hand. Although I wanted to reprimand what was rude behaviour in my eyes, I might have been a tad bit aggressive in doing so.
I am sorry if I caused any inconvenience with my actions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 07:10AM by uGen.
January 03, 2014 01:00PM
To me, it looked like a spam thread from the get go.
(Supposedly) An Interested consumer was asking if anyone knows about a certain product... once the product features are questioned suddenly this simply interested consumer starts defending this unknown product... when the conversation advances in a way they don't like, this simple consumer becomes angry and starts bashing other similar products in defense of the product they are trying to sell... wait, I mean, they are interested in purchasing

sorta internet sales on forum's 101 (you see it on any type forums were people discuss products)

Good job mods, for letting it pan out for all to see, before closing it. This shows you gave the benefit of the doubt that this was a simple consumer.

Now that thread should have been started in the "For Sale" section
or if they wanted to get Real Feed Back on the product they could have created a thread in General "Beta Testers Wanted for New (insert product)"

Note: Closing a thread in no way is censorship. Deleting a thread, in so doing, removing all history of the conversation, this is different. But a closed thread remains and a new thread can be created (much like this one) to carry on the debate, I mean, conversation.
January 12, 2014 04:56AM
well, i also understand why the thread was closed but am also interested in the answer to the question the thread was opened for in the first place.
January 12, 2014 07:09AM
Referring to the Infill 3D hotend, I'm always looking for new hotends to try, but I'm not a fan of "sock puppet" advertising. The seller only ships to the US, so I can't buy one anyway.

I am puzzled though why you would want more heat dissipation from the heater block. The radiator section yes, but the heater block you would want to retain heat surely?

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login