Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone tried one of the new all metal extruders?

Posted by andy-net 
Anyone tried one of the new all metal extruders?
January 03, 2014 05:42AM
So I am quite tempted by the all metal extruders sold on eBay from Israel. They look pretty solid, and the extruder really is where the magic happens so I am trying to work out if it is worth the investment.

So before I go and spend my money, I wonder if anyone else had seen them, and what kind of a reception they are getting. They seem to have a good design, and my wades is really showing its age.

Here's the link [www.ebay.co.uk]
Re: Anyone tried one of the new all metal extruders?
January 03, 2014 06:33AM
They do look good. I have seen them on ebay for a while now. My only concern would be speed. Can you really spin a what looks like nema14 motor geared 1:19 fast enough to feed at a decent rate?
January 03, 2014 07:31AM
I couldn't help but see that cute girl in picture #6..

Anyway, these extruders look good, but I can't tell about performance just by looking. They are all metal extruders, but are they a 100% sure that the gearbox doesn't have any kind of plastic gears inside?

I'd rather build my own extruder for that money. Having 'big texts' in red do not help sell an extruder.

Also, indeed the NEMA14.. I doubt it will work for a Bowden setup.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2014 07:34AM by Ohmarinus.
January 03, 2014 08:36AM
I have a Bulldog XL from RRD that I may get mounted tonight or this weekend for testing.
January 03, 2014 09:58AM
tjb1
I have a Bulldog XL from RRD that I may get mounted tonight or this weekend for testing.
Same here, i hope i have my OrdBot running with the Bulldog XL at the end of the weekend. So far i have a very good impression of it.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 03, 2014 10:48AM
Srek
tjb1
Same here, i hope i have my OrdBot running with the Bulldog XL at the end of the weekend. So far i have a very good impression of it.

I modeled most of the extruder and put the files up here ( [www.thingiverse.com] ), it's just missing the groovemount clamp so far and the brass adapters but every piece is available in STP, STL and 2013 IPT.
January 03, 2014 02:14PM
tjb1
Srek
tjb1

I modeled most of the extruder and put the files up here ( [www.thingiverse.com] ), it's just missing the groovemount clamp so far and the brass adapters but every piece is available in STP, STL and 2013 IPT.

Very curious if there are people planning to create the bulldog xl in ABS!
January 04, 2014 05:54PM
I have a qu-bd extruder I'm gonna throw on tomorrow, but I've ordered one out of curiosity. I just wanna make the thing more reliable and things like this seem the ticket. Will throw a j-head under it and write up a review when it gets here, could be a while though - I'm in the uk and its coming from Israel.
January 05, 2014 08:00AM
I have the Bulldog XL running now and i must say that it works A-OK. At first i thought that feeding the 1.75mm filament in would be a bit of a hassle, but it just grips it and pushes it correctly through its path. The manual release is a bit hard to press, but you actually don't need it very often.
I tried the extruder with my Marlin Hotend and a prototype of the Hexagon, both work just fine with it, for the Merlin you need the J-Head mount adapter.
Currently i'm printing PET with the Bulldog and Hexagon, the finish is just beautiful.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 05, 2014 04:48PM
Well I tried the qu-bd extruder and I can't say I was impressed. First time I used it the plastic burned in the nozzle, and it clogged, when I tried to clean the nozzle it disintegrated and the end turned into a 1.7mm hole. I'm not importing a new nozzle as the postage is extortion so I now have an expensive paperweight. I used the right thermistor tables etc so I can't see the temperature being enough off to cause the problem.

Hopefully the all metal extruder plus the j-head will do the trick, getting tired of the breakdowns. Gonna park it till the new kit arrives!
mrc
January 05, 2014 07:27PM
i think everyone who purchased an QU-BD had to go threw that, including me
(+nathan knows it but simply ignores it)
i still don´t know how the got such a good reputation here in the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 07:29PM by mrc.
January 06, 2014 02:30AM
I made video of the Bulldog in my Ordbot. It works pretty nice, the only problem i had was when the current for the extruder motor was set to high and the complete extruder heated up to a degree that the filament became to flexible. It took me about three minutes to clean the PET out of the extruder case and drive, including disassembling and reassembling. Not to bad.
[www.youtube.com]

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 06, 2014 12:42PM
andy-net
Well I tried the qu-bd extruder and I can't say I was impressed. First time I used it the plastic burned in the nozzle, and it clogged, when I tried to clean the nozzle it disintegrated and the end turned into a 1.7mm hole. I'm not importing a new nozzle as the postage is extortion so I now have an expensive paperweight. I used the right thermistor tables etc so I can't see the temperature being enough off to cause the problem.

Hopefully the all metal extruder plus the j-head will do the trick, getting tired of the breakdowns. Gonna park it till the new kit arrives!

I was going to tell you not to waste your time installing it... but I had to laugh when I read this post only 1 day later.
January 06, 2014 04:43PM
iquizzle
andy-net

I was going to tell you not to waste your time installing it... but I had to laugh when I read this post only 1 day later.

I haven't heard much bad stories about the QU-BD, so I guess it must also be partially your own handling? Just cannot believe it immediately burned in the nozzle...
January 06, 2014 06:22PM
Ohmarinus
iquizzle
andy-net

I haven't heard much bad stories about the QU-BD, so I guess it must also be partially your own handling? Just cannot believe it immediately burned in the nozzle...

Open your eyes.
January 13, 2014 05:17AM
I think its pretty easy to see that the first QU-BD extruders are seen in a negative light. Of course it will be down to me one way or another, these are hobby items, meant to be used in an environment with a million different configurations, but I used the given thermistor tables with the standard thermistor and some makerbot filament so I don't think I was too unfair to it.

Either way, the new one was apparently due for shipping yesterday so I hope to get some pictures and a review up before long. Odly enough my tired old wades and J-head are making some of the best printes of their lives at the moment, they must sense the impending doom!
Re: Anyone tried one of the new all metal extruders? [Pics included]
January 20, 2014 10:53AM
Well, the extruder arrived today, very well packaged and the finish is just outstanding. This is a very professional product, and someone has obviously taken a lot of care in its design, I am very happy so far. Just wanted to get you all some pictures over.

I hope it extrudes as well as it looks! I will try and get it fitted this week and get a review over. I just hope the stepper is up to the challenge, if not I will have swap it out, but I have high hopes.
Attachments:
open | download - WP_20140120_15_30_28_Pro.jpg (569.6 KB)
open | download - WP_20140120_15_31_20_Pro.jpg (435.1 KB)
open | download - WP_20140120_15_31_41_Pro.jpg (425.1 KB)
open | download - WP_20140120_15_32_25_Pro.jpg (374.8 KB)
open | download - WP_20140120_15_32_41_Pro.jpg (409.3 KB)
January 20, 2014 12:33PM
One more on the Bulldog, i got it to work with flexible filament in a bowden setup
[www.youtube.com]

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 20, 2014 12:52PM
Srek
One more on the Bulldog, i got it to work with flexible filament in a bowden setup
[www.youtube.com]

What filament is that? I didnt think you could push stuff like NinjaFlex through a bowden. Also, why do you have the cover of the extruder off? That cover holds the idler assembly down.
January 20, 2014 01:23PM
It was the blue "rubber" material from Plastink [plastink.com]
I also tried FPE (shore 40D), but that is a bit to flexible, though i think i might get it to work.
The cover is off to show how the bowden is shaped to go in between the idler and the bolt.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 20, 2014 02:48PM
Srek
It was the blue "rubber" material from Plastink [plastink.com]
I also tried FPE (shore 40D), but that is a bit to flexible, though i think i might get it to work.
The cover is off to show how the bowden is shaped to go in between the idler and the bolt.

Oh ok, I see the bowden tube now. I've tried to get a sample of NinjaFlex but they won't budge on it... I wonder if anyone here that has it could try it though a bowden or even any of the Filaflex materials.
January 20, 2014 05:22PM
Haha, I cannot imagine retraction being worth nothing with this flexible filament. However, it's nice to know it works, but I cannot imagine it being useful with bowden?
January 21, 2014 12:35AM
Ohmarinus
Haha, I cannot imagine retraction being worth nothing with this flexible filament. However, it's nice to know it works, but I cannot imagine it being useful with bowden?
5 Hours of continous FPE printing later i can say that even this is possible with the bowden setup. FPE is a lot more flexible and i have to print it with 7mm/s, compared to 30 or more i can achieve with the "Rubber".
Retract is not useless, with the rubber it doesn't help much since it oozes out fast, but with FPE i get a nice clean print.
Cheers
Björn

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 22, 2014 09:32AM
All I can say about QU-BD is that they delivered my dual head extruder quickly (before Christmas) but they forgot the 2 motors I paid extra for. I'm still waiting for them after 3 emails. Needless to say that my first 3d printer project is on hold. Are these guys a "fly by night" business?
January 22, 2014 09:43AM
It took them 11 days to reply to an email to me....
January 22, 2014 10:57AM
Mmm... too bad. I tried to support them since they are in the US (so am I) but this is not gaining them any good will for a future purchase. As an engineer I see they have many interesting things listed that I wanted to try, but these delays make me doubt they have them in stock.
January 22, 2014 01:25PM
Andy-net can you put up a review? What do you think of the extruder so far? I have been really interested in that extruder but it's price is way out of my range.

I am currently looking for an all metal extruder myself. The problem I am running into is that there are very few proven designs out there. The Qu-bd is priced right but I have heard mixed reviews of their extruders. Is there a list out there of all the all metal extruders available? While I am on the subject, does anyone know how the RRD Bulldog compares to the Bulldog XL?

*edit*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 01:54PM by jzatopa.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
January 22, 2014 01:31PM
QU-BD has been around for a while. I have only once ordered a small item there, but I received it quicker than the bearings I ordered from France last week winking smiley

I hope it's just a one-time occurrence.
January 22, 2014 01:36PM
I often use QU-BD for the small steppers to avoid RobotDigg and the China leadtime and they are always fairly quick about gettings things out to me. That being said, I've read enough bad about the extruders and such that I won't buy anything they produce themselves.
January 22, 2014 04:14PM
tjb1
...to avoid RobotDigg...
why would you want to avoid RobotDigg? bad experience with them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login