Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Garcads WATER-COOLED hotend produces high quality ABS prints!

Posted by papabur 
Garcads WATER-COOLED hotend produces high quality ABS prints!
January 05, 2014 05:15PM
What started as just a idea between two friends has been brought to life and is printing better then any other hotend on the market right now, and we have proof:
Youtube videos:
Printer is a oldie but goodie, reprap prusa-mendel that I have done some custom improvements on, enjoy the videos and more to come!
Garcads water cooled hotend <--First test prints
Garcads water cooled hotend fully calibrated_high quality <---Dialed in overhang/bridging
Garcads water-cooled hotend_pt1layer height .1 layer height, fully dialed in and perfection at its finest.

This hotend is also capable of printing PC with the same high quality results, video coming shortly.

We love feedback/questions so feel free to post any, thanks for watching and more to come very soon! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Moderator edit : thread closed, see last message for details.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 05:17AM by DeuxVis.
Re: Garcads WATER-COOLED hotend produces high quality ABS prints!
January 05, 2014 07:06PM

is printing better then any other hotend on the market right now,

lol

If you have to use that much z hop to get good prints, you are doing it wrong.
January 05, 2014 07:12PM
bold claim....

how you cool your thermal barrier does not particularly improve print quality, it just keeps heat from transferring up the barrier and causing filament jams and exturder skips.

My PEEK thermal barrier prints the exact same quality with and without a cooling fan, just may be more likely to jam without the fan on longer prints.

Personally I can say I top the print quality of anyone in my 3d printer group, and that's with a hand made Wildseyed hot end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 07:29PM by Dirty Steve.
mrc
January 05, 2014 07:24PM
my Aircooled e3d provides a much better quality...
January 05, 2014 07:44PM
I think to demonstrate such a bold claim, you need to have higher res photo/video, because the print doesn't look great from that...

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
January 05, 2014 08:12PM
if by high quality you mean that it doesnt jam, then yes you are succesful, however i think that the little square column on the last print probably came out really melty. and also you shouldnt need watercooling ust to run abs, its mostly for pla plastic which is a bit more tricky to print.
January 05, 2014 08:28PM
i think you are just complicating what already works, air cooled
January 05, 2014 09:46PM
Im sorry but air cooling will never be as good as liquid cooled....i dont see very many air cooled vehicles these days...lol..? I stand by my claim 100%.
January 05, 2014 09:57PM
It has nothing to do with how cold you make the barrier, you could liquid nitrogen cool the barrier and it wouldn't make a difference.

The barrier doesn't need to be cooled much more than 10c below the transition temperature of what ever filament being used.

The barrier has no effect on the filament coming out the nozzle other than heat creep and skipping.

There are many people in this forum who have been at this for quite awhile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 09:58PM by Dirty Steve.
January 05, 2014 10:09PM
Could you post up some high res pics of the prints?

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
January 05, 2014 10:11PM
papabur
Im sorry but air cooling will never be as good as liquid cooled....i dont see very many air cooled vehicles these days...lol..? I stand by my claim 100%.

strictly speaking every vehicle is actually air cooled, most cars infact have a nice big radiator cooled by the incoming air as the car goes forward and by a fan mounted to it, circulating coolant merely serves as a transfer medium to get the waste heat energy from point "A" to point "B"

liquid cooling is where you are simply taking the waste heat energy from point "A" and dissipating it into a large body of water relative to the heatsource, some of the pc water cooling setups work this way and the body of water dissipates the waste heat as fast as it gets heated in the first place

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

January 05, 2014 11:39PM
ive had both water cooled and air cooled, the air cooled works fine if you are not using a heated build chamber. however as soon as you heat the build chamber the water cooling comes in handy, because you can control the temperature of the transition zone separate from the build chamber. also running the water cooler allows you to cool the transition below the temperature of the environment.
January 05, 2014 11:45PM
I run 5 day ABS prints with a build chamber without any problems with air cooling. 25mm fan directed across my PEEK barrier.
January 06, 2014 12:40AM
It sounds like maybe you had a few very bad air cooled hotends in the past so you think this is the best when in fact I would say that many if not all of the best prints come from air cooled hotends. And just has already been stated it makes no difference if it's air or water cooled but rather how the hotend is designed.

I get very good prints use a Budaschnozzle, as good or better than what I can see in your videos. And admittedly there are a lot of people getting better prints than mine using air cooled.

If a guy has only eaten bologna for his life and someone gives him a cheapo steak he will proclaim it's the best thing ever while others sit by eating Filet Mignon and laugh at him. Not trying to make fun but just an analogy.
January 06, 2014 12:52AM
Dirty Steve
I run 5 day ABS prints with a build chamber without any problems with air cooling. 25mm fan directed across my PEEK barrier.

im not sure what the specs of your printer are but when im doing a 12x12x12" print I need to run the chamber above 80c, but whatever works for you. all i can say is that the watercooling works and it works flawlessly.
January 06, 2014 01:05AM
I can't tell from the low resolution out of focus video, but I think my prints are better. I just started not to long ago. With each day I learn more. Using a prusa i3 with a magma. But I can see the need for liquid cooling in a heated build space.
January 06, 2014 01:14AM
I'm at about 60c for ABS on my chamber with successful 9 inch prints no cracks or separations. Max Z on my set up.
January 06, 2014 01:20AM
nice, i have nothing against air cooled hot ends, i just prefer water cooling, because I feel i can control the hot end better with it. also i believe some of the proponents to water cooling say it lighter than air cooling, I have a hard time believing that for one hot end, but when you have 4 hot ends then yes it can be quite a bit lighter, if each hot end has its own fan and heatsink. according to sanjaym the kraken, a 4 headed water cooled hot end, will weigh only as much as two e3d v5 hot ends. so yeah if you have a 4 head setup it weighs less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 01:28AM by aduy.
January 06, 2014 02:45AM
papabur

I don't see many vehicles cooled with liquid nitrogen either, which would be far superior to water.

I think you might be trolling us...

What is Open Source?
January 06, 2014 03:02AM
The reason for using water instead of air for cooling is the higher heat carrying capacity(Thermal Conductivity) and the Specific Heat Capacity of water compared to air that can be utilized at a very small section where you want to remove the heat. Heatpipe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe) will be better but not so easy to implement.

[koolance.com]
January 06, 2014 03:10AM
Xabbax
The reason for using water instead of air for cooling is the higher heat carrying capacity(Thermal Conductivity) and the Specific Heat Capacity of water compared to air that can be utilized at a very small section where you want to remove the heat. Heatpipe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe) will be better but not so easy to implement.

[koolance.com]

Sure, we all understand the physics. But if you can already remove enough heat with air cooling, then removing more heat won't make a bit of difference to the printing. There is no magic to water cooling.

In engineering you do enough to achieve the desired result, doing more is just a waste of money. Otherwise, why isn't everything water cooled ? Nothing in my house is liquid cooled, apart from the fridge, which has particular cooling requirements smiling smiley

Anyway, first we need to establish if it does improve performance, which is not yet demonstrated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 03:11AM by bobc.

What is Open Source?
January 06, 2014 03:58AM
It is just a little bit easier to implement water cooling on a delta printer than aircooling especially if you go dual or more extruders.
January 06, 2014 05:20AM
What fun,

What I can never understand is all the focus on cooling.
It's easy to adequately cool the cold end bit of a hotend. That's obvious by the small size and surface area of the heatsink.

There's not much heat to take away, it's not like a car, where there's loads of heat to dissipate. A radiator on a car isn't solid, it looks like it is because it's made up of many many layers of foil, to give it a massive surface area, it's a massive (and I mean MASSIVE) heatsink.

As for our hotends, I've seen bigger heatsinks on a FET.

Wouldn't working on making the hot bit of the hot end smaller, I.E, thermal transfer INTO the melt chamber be the important bit to improve prints?
Imagine a head with a tiny melt chamber, that'll give no back pressure, that'll equal no ooze and very precise control.

I think until there's a paradigm shift and someone uses piezo heating or laser or something, so there's a tiny melt chamber, it's not going to improve any more than it is.
Imagine if you just melt what you need and deposit it, bit like an inkjet.
*That's* when these will become consumer products, the tech for the rest is good enough, it's the hotend that is the constraint.

PS. With reference to cars being air cooled/water cooled, I've installed a 120v 1kW heater cartidge, that'll improve my prints as well won't it ? won't it ? I mean, when was the last time you saw a 40W kettle.
January 06, 2014 05:37AM
The main problem is to remove the heat in the stainless tube 2 mm from the heater block - not a lot of heat in the tube itself to remove. You only need about 2 mm exposure of the tube to some heatsink to remove the heat from the tube but the problem is to find a suitable way to do it so close to the heat source.
January 06, 2014 06:45AM
Agreed, and you can adequately do that with a heatsink and block at that point or via watercooling, or via a bit of dry ice or with liquid nitrogen, but they all do it adequately.
It doesn't really matter as long as its below the melting temperature of the filament being used.

(actually, it does matter if you think about it, because the hot bit has to be hot, so you don't want to overly cool the filament itself so that it arrives at the hot bit at -180, making the job of the hot bit harder)

I think we all understand how a hot end works, so cannot see how watercooling could improve prints.
January 06, 2014 07:19AM
Xabbax
It is just a little bit easier to implement water cooling on a delta printer than aircooling especially if you go dual or more extruders.

I don't see in what world that it is easier to put water cooling on a delta rather than stuff a fan on the end....not to mention all the weight the hotend is now carrying and the impact the hose will have on motion unless you use something with like 2mm ID for supply and return.
January 06, 2014 09:05AM
DaveS
(actually, it does matter if you think about it, because the hot bit has to be hot, so you don't want to overly cool the filament itself so that it arrives at the hot bit at -180, making the job of the hot bit harder)

ah see youve discovered something that water cooling can do that air cooling simply cannot. with water cooling you can actually control the temperature of the filament before it goes into the melt chamber, if you add say a few ice cubes to your resevoir you can actually cool the filament down before it goes into the melt chamber making it melt slower and reducing ooze. if you heat up your water you can actually transfer heat into the filament and make it flow more easily. now say you wanted to precisely control your resevoir temperature, what you do is add an inline pelt unit, which will allow you to heat and cool the resevoir. water cooling adds another element of control over the filament, the temperature it is before you melt it.
January 06, 2014 09:22AM
Brilliant, so you've implemented a way of controlling the exact amount of cooling on the cold bit of the hotend ?, why didn't you mention that earlier ?

That's fantastic.

So, are you must be using an extra thermistor on the cold bit of the hot end, so that you can measure it I presume? I also presume you are just adding ice as a proof of concept at this stage, otherwise it'd be pointless as it'd be so uncontrollable.

You really should mention such large steps, we'd all be interested, maybe we could help you develop them further. What firmware changes did you make, and how much improved are the prints ?
If it's due to this, why didn't you say ?!

Any chance of some high res photos ?, I'm sure everyone would love to see some.

Well done !
January 06, 2014 09:24AM
any pics of the actual hotend btw ? You've not even posted any pics of the hotend.
January 06, 2014 09:36AM
Hmm, another advantage is that if the hotend catches fire it can be automatically extinguished.

Also, you could wash the filament in the warm water before it goes in the hotend, make sure it's nice and clean.

I guess there are several advantages I overlooked smiling smiley

What is Open Source?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.