Darwin Build Help
October 24, 2009 05:36PM
Hey guys,

My senior design group and I are working on building the Darwin. We are trying to figure out how much material is needed to build the parts of Darwin that can be made in a RepRap machine (we are going to manufacture our own parts). To do this, I figured I could download the parts list for Darwin 1-0-6 and find which parts are the plastic parts. I found no documentation on this. After I opened the STL file from the "Assemblies-and-parts" folder, all the parts of the STL file were listed in the folder, but the parts are labeled by numbers.

Is there a document that gives the part names for the corresponding part number used in the STL file of Darwin 1-0-6?

Is there any document that can give me the total volume of material needed to produce Darwin's plastic parts?

Thanks for the help.

-rusdp
Re: Darwin Build Help
October 24, 2009 06:33PM
The plastic parts are in the "Printed-parts" folder. They have names that correspond roughly to the BOM.

The total volume of plastic depends on how sparse they are printed. The volumes that I used are shown here: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 28, 2009 09:57AM
I checked out the "Printed-Parts" folder and see there are 84 .par files in there.

1. So I'm guessing these are the .par files we can print in a rapid prototype machine?

2. Where can all the other, non-printable parts be found?

3. We are looking to find each part's actual volume, as in the volume reported by the CAD software. So I guess we can open each part and find the volumes that way?

4. In the "Darwin BoM data" file found in the "Cartesian Bot 1.0.6" file, I see there are three pertinent worksheets. Two of them say RP (Rapid Prototype?) build checksheet (1) and (3off). What is the (3off) one for?

We really appreciate the help with this project. Thanks.

-rusdp
October 28, 2009 11:56AM
I believe you need .stl files to print with most rapid prototype machines.

I'm not sure what .par files are, but they may be SolidWorks files. I believe the RepRap guys use SolidWorks for most of their design work. Unless you have SolidWorks (or a package that imports that format), you won't have much luck with those.

In terms of the part's volume, if you mean the amount of material needed, that would also depend on the internal density of the part (e.g., is it solid, or just a sparse matrix to save material?) Keep that in mind when thinking about volume.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login