Prusa i3 with Dual Extrusion
January 13, 2014 05:16PM
Hello Everyone,

Someone is looking for a dual extrusion option. I have some unfinished Prusa i3 frames left, and I've seen a few of that style with dual extrusion.

Does anyone have any suggestions, warnings or recommendations for such a combination?

I have not experimented with bowden extruders(seems like a good match), but if that was the very best option I would look into it. For me it would be more straight forward to work with the non-bowden style. Obviously there would be a slight loss of print area.

Also, QU-BD paired extruders were suggested. If I remember correctly they are not getting the best reviews?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
Re: Prusa i3 with Dual Extrusion
January 13, 2014 09:58PM
Assemble the Y frame using 4 short M8 threaded rods, 2 M10 (M10 preferred over M8) or M8 long threaded rods and 4 y-corners. I had to drill out my y corners to accept M10. The newer parts are M10 ready.
-SPAM URL REMOVED-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 07:06PM by NewPerfection.
January 13, 2014 11:17PM
Yes, I upgraded to the M10 for the long parts of the Y axis frame, much better.

Ideally, I would like to find a good reliable compact extruder that I can pair up without adding too much mass and width to the X axis.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
January 15, 2014 01:03PM
Well my wife took a quick look last night to see what people are up to dual extrusion wise, and it didn't look very good. Seems there are quite a few complications.

Still very interested in feedback from anyone, as I want to build one of these machines, at least as a test bed. It may or may not be on a Pr. i3 frame if that is not a good match.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
January 15, 2014 07:05PM
I have the qu-bd dual extruder on my prusa i3. I had to design a new mount for it and it does work ok, after all the modifications. These include [www.thingiverse.com] and [www.mastersketchup.com] (I highly recommend you buy new barrels straight from [www.ebay.com] since they're actually incredibly difficult to make. I'm not happy with the mount yet, since there's no easy way to allow fine extruder head adjustments without taking the entire mount apart. Also, the vertical X-carriage with the belt in between sure looks nice, but extruder sits way out on a lever arm, making it rather heavy and unstable. It sounds like the cheap LM8UUs are starting to fail with such a huge load placed on them.

In other words, a bowden setup is probably worth your time.
January 16, 2014 01:32PM
Thanks, that is very useful info! I'm going to pass it on. We are looking at the Voxel Factory machine, but I don't know how reliable it is.

I'm guessing the barrels are made from a stainless bolt... those are dificult to drill through.

I'm going to look into this bowden option....

Yvan

Singularity Machine
January 16, 2014 10:11PM
So here is a 3DCR version of dual extrusion for Prusa i3.
Unique features:
-Nozzle to nozzle distance 20mm or 29.5mm (change without disassembly)
-Covers the whole 200x200mm heated bed at 20mm
-Fits directly to Prusa i3 X bars with LM8UU bearings
-Compatible with J-Head, MG Plus, E3D and other similar

---Removed Spam Link---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 12:53AM by NewPerfection.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login