Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A big thank you to the admin or whomever...

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
A big thank you to the admin or whomever...
January 15, 2014 03:05AM
You actually implemented a proper quoting system. thank you so very much for taking my suggestion and finally implementing as it makes the forums a lot better and way more up to date.

Again, whomever did it I say thanks to you again. smiling smiley

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: A big thank you to the admin or whomever...
January 15, 2014 02:21PM
Sure it looks all pretty but it makes inserting responses in the middle of a quote a pain in the ass. So yes fancy looking but less functional. I guess that is the way the world is going with computing as they remove all users options in favour of preconfigured touch screen devices with no configurability other than move around icons.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 15, 2014 02:47PM
Sublime
Sure it looks all pretty but it makes inserting responses in the middle of a quote a pain in the ass. So yes fancy looking but less functional. I guess that is the way the world is going with computing as they remove all users options in favour of preconfigured touch screen devices with no configurability other than move around icons.
Grumble grumble.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
January 15, 2014 03:17PM
Sublime
Sure it looks all pretty but it makes inserting responses in the middle of a quote a pain in the ass. So yes fancy looking but less functional.
It's not too difficult to do.
Sublime
I guess that is the way the world is going with computing as they remove all users options in favour of preconfigured touch screen devices with no configurability other than move around icons.
January 15, 2014 03:27PM
samp20
Sublime
Sure it looks all pretty but it makes inserting responses in the middle of a quote a pain in the ass. So yes fancy looking but less functional.
It's not too difficult to do.
Sublime
I guess that is the way the world is going with computing as they remove all users options in favour of preconfigured touch screen devices with no configurability other than move around icons.
I know as I use many forums and that is how they all work.

_______
January 15, 2014 05:29PM
You used to just type where you wanted the reply and the >> would mark the text being replied too and was easy enough for anyone to follow.

Now you either have to cut and paste or write out code blocks which is a lot more work for no improvement other than cosmetic. This does make it less convenient to answer posts with a lot of questions in a way that is easy to follow. Now you just see answers to many questions posted below the quote.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
January 15, 2014 05:49PM
Sublime
You used to just type where you wanted the reply and the >> would mark the text being replied too and was easy enough for anyone to follow.

Now you either have to cut and paste or write out code blocks which is a lot more work for no improvement other than cosmetic. This does make it less convenient to answer posts with a lot of questions in a way that is easy to follow. Now you just see answers to many questions posted below the quote.
You sound like you are old and set in your ways AND/OR you have never used the rest of the internet's forums. Either that or you just like to bitch and complain.

The way the old system's quoting worked was straight out of Usenet while the rest of the internet continued to progress, and it was progress to get away from a reply system with a lot of greater than symbols showing the lines.

_______
January 15, 2014 06:02PM
Dark Alchemist
Sublime

You sound like you are old and set in your ways AND/OR you have never used the rest of the internet's forums. Either that or you just like to bitch and complain.

The way the old system's quoting worked was straight out of Usenet while the rest of the internet continued to progress, and it was progress to get away from a reply system with a lot of greater than symbols showing the lines.

Please please please explain exactly how this new system is better than the old one other than it is prettier? Just because that is how others do it does not mean it is the best way. If you want to do things simply because others do it that way you have issues. You should promote the method that is the most efficient to use.

January 15, 2014 06:13PM
Sublime
Dark Alchemist
Sublime

Please please please explain exactly how this new system is better than the old one other than it is prettier? Just because that is how others do it does not mean it is the best way. If you want to do things simply because others do it that way you have issues. You should promote the method that is the most efficient to use.
Look at the quoting system. You quoted me and I quoted you and both showed within your quote and because I just quoted you they are all there and easy to follow what happened when. The other way was just as messy as it was back in the Dinosaur days of Usenet. I actually can make out the replies now, in order, whereas before it was garbage. Might make it easier for you to cherry pick what to insert your bits of wisdom into but for a normal reader the new system is clean and allows for the quote to show a quote (how deep that goes I do not yet know). There are more readers, and lurkers, than responders and personally I don't have an issue with inserting a /quote and a quote= where needed if the final product is easier to follow. Time progresses and either you adapt or move on or try and revive Usenet again.

_______
January 16, 2014 07:57AM
The issue we have here is a tradeoff. With the old system it was easier to reply to quoted messages, however it isn't as readable especially with nested quoting. The new system is more readable however it's not quite so easy to reply to.
The best solution depends on whether you prefer ease of use or readability. Personally I prefer the latter, but that's just my opinion.
January 16, 2014 08:35AM
samp20
The issue we have here is a tradeoff. With the old system it was easier to reply to quoted messages, however it isn't as readable especially with nested quoting. The new system is more readable however it's not quite so easy to reply to.
The best solution depends on whether you prefer ease of use or readability. Personally I prefer the latter, but that's just my opinion.
100% agree to everything you said.

_______
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login