Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

J-head with ceramic body instead of PEEK

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Re: J-head with ceramic body instead of PEEK
January 26, 2014 03:49PM
However, I see all these new hotends, but none really perform with PLA. It's all ABS-hotends. Even your hotend doesn't function well with PLA from what I've read ohioplastics.

I would wish that we don't just look at thermal conductivity (seen this word a thousand time the past few days on the forum winking smiley ) but also at material compatability on other levels.

And to be honest.. Who wants a 'do it all' hotend that does everything on a below-average quality while you can also just pick one that fits your printing material that performs above average?

Car-engines also don't run on both gasoline and diesel, and I don't know anyone that complains about this winking smiley
Anonymous User
January 26, 2014 04:52PM
I've read you can feed the filament through a cotton ball soaked with vegetable oil above the extruder to make it work with PLA.
http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2010/02/06/oil-helps-pla-yes/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 04:58PM by ohioplastics.
January 26, 2014 05:00PM
ohioplastics
I believe it's the only way to bring the cost down for everyday working people.

so hotends aren't yet cheap enough?

you might bring the initial cost of purchasing a hotend down, however as a lot of people have found out in the past the hard way is that the money you save in going for the cheaper option you can loose very quickly in failed prints and eventually entire spools of plastic, the jhead clone story is now a classic

when you buy a hotend you are not just paying for the parts and labour and postage/shipping you are also paying for the development of it in the first place and funding future development

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Anonymous User
January 26, 2014 05:20PM
I disagree. The cost of the development of the technology shouldn't be rolled into the unit cost. Especially in open source products, where %90 of the product is someone else's technology.

As for the cost, it's a fallacy to believe that because you pay a lot of money for something that it'll work better than the cheaper alternative. That's human psychology and prejudice.
January 26, 2014 05:38PM
ohioplastics
I disagree. The cost of the development of the technology shouldn't be rolled into the unit cost. Especially in open source products, where %90 of the product is someone else's technology.

As for the cost, it's a fallacy to believe that because you pay a lot of money for something that it'll work better than the cheaper alternative. That's human psychology and prejudice.

so where does the money come from that pays for extensive testing and that %10 of development ?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Anonymous User
January 26, 2014 05:53PM
It's negligible.
It'd be a lot easier to understand if you just watch "Moneyball." Great movie. Oakland A's. Brad Pitt. I guess you wouldn't understand it because you guys don't play baseball, but the point is, you find the raw material that will get the job done. There's a lot of outdated facts that when you look really hard at them, aren't really facts, like PTFE is too weak of a material. That was the thinking because nobody took a second look at it when 1.75mm filament came around and I found it worked just well enough. It costs a negligible amount of money to develop, because the J-head, the MK7, and the Arcol got me %90 there. The other %10 took place in the shower. Unless you roll in the cost of shampoo and body wash, where's the development cost?
January 26, 2014 07:11PM
ohioplastics
Unless you roll in the cost of shampoo and body wash, where's the development cost?

Sorry, I find this remark a little offensive.

I have spent almost two years building and testing hotends for use with PLA. There has been considerable cost in trial and errors, lost materials, time and manufacturing. The cost of testing alone has been considerable, many rolls of PLA have been used, many thrown in the bin after failed tests.
I now have a hotend that works very well with PLA and am working on even further designs to use with later filaments that have surfaced.
The designs will be published on my website in due course.

I am sure that many others have also spent considerable time, money and thought into their designs too.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Anonymous User
January 26, 2014 07:54PM
You misinterpret me. I've destroyed countless hot ends trying to find a solution for PTFE. I'll stand behind my product, even if it looses me money, unlike Joe Prusa, who sold $100 hot ends which didn't work and then go into hiding. But I'm also competing in a global market place. My goal isn't to recoup the money I spent, it's to take money out of Chinese pockets.
January 26, 2014 08:00PM
ohioplastics
You misinterpret me. I've destroyed countless hot ends trying to find a solution for PTFE. I'll stand behind my product, even if it looses me money, unlike Joe Prusa, who sold $100 hot ends which didn't work and then go into hiding. But I'm also competing in a global market place. My goal isn't to recoup the money I spent, it's to take money out of Chinese pockets.

by under cutting them .....

Anonymous User
January 26, 2014 08:11PM
They don't have any special sauce that makes them immune to competition. Ohio is a industrial ghetto with low cost of living too. Besides, It's really not that hard to do and the material is dirt cheap.
January 26, 2014 08:22PM
ohioplastics
They don't have any special sauce that makes them immune to competition. Ohio is a industrial ghetto with low cost of living too. Besides, It's really not that hard to do and the material is dirt cheap.

ah! the Made in America bit, yes we have a similar thing being pushed by small groups here "Made in Australia" , the issue is that totally ignore the local cost of local production, if produced my hotends here i'd have to charge double what the E3D costs just to break even,

while the evolutionary cycle will ultimately decide the fate of everything, in the mean time a price war with the Chinese isn't going to help anyone, no-one wins a price war especially the consumer.

January 26, 2014 08:25PM
ohioplastics
You misinterpret me.
\

Sometimes your choice of words lead to misinterpretation, it is hard not to take offense the way that you often say something.
I also think that you have the wrong idea about the Chinese. These are very hard working people, do a great job of most of their products, and are very easy people to deal with on the whole.
I have no problem with Chinese manufacture, the biggest problem is the high cost of shipping to Australia. Similar parts made in Australia have been very expensive, poorly finished and take too long to be made, so I have been forced to source from China on many occasion.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Anonymous User
January 27, 2014 12:33AM
You're next door to the second largest and most populous economy in not only the region, but the world. When I was in the marines my unit's motto was: "Find a way or make one." They eventually transfered me out of that unit, but that's a different thing involving me listening to an Ipod while watching over some humvees, which is ######## because no one's gonna steal a humvee in camp margarita.

But I digress. Take whatever you think you know about 3d printing, curl it up in a nice neat little ball, and throw it out the ####### window. Forgive me for my plain speech. I am the product of my culture. But one shouldn't be discriminated against because of his manner of speech. Cultural norms of and for the affluent are to refrain from swearing, but no such norms exist in my culture.

And since every man's opinion is equal, banning this post because of my swearing would be repression of free speech, WHICH, is the everyday norm for the Tibetan people, and for all of the political dissident in China.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 08:31AM by thejollygrimreaper.
January 27, 2014 12:50AM
This thread was previously closed for Bad language , however now that everyone has cooled off it has been reopened so that the original conversation can take place.
please refrain from swearing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 08:40AM by thejollygrimreaper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login