Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First print and calibration

Posted by calad 
First print and calibration
January 19, 2014 05:49AM
Hi. I have been building my prusa i3 but I have problems with printing: filament does not come out from hotend. When I myself turn gear filament does come out but not during printing.

Data:

prusa i3
filament is pla from here: [www.3d-printer-filament.com]
thermistor is EPCOS B57560G104F
there is no extruder fan
hotend is J-Head MK-V 0.4mm
printing software is cura but I am also familiar with pronterface
firmware is marlin from here, thought not latest: [github.com]

I suspect that my problem are about temperatures and other moon magic.

What I have done here is to keep heatbed clean, make sure hotend is about 0,4mm up from bed and motors dont miss steps.

Thank you for all readers and helpers.
Re: First print and calibration
January 19, 2014 09:25AM
what temperature are trying? Can you get filament to extrude if you press the button in pronterface?

you really need a a fan on the barrel of the j-head to print pla. It is very difficult to print pla without it.
January 19, 2014 11:45AM
I have been trying range of 185-230 degrees but result has always been a failure.

Extruder works absolutely fine. I have made marks on filament to monitor how it is fed. When printing an object filament does withdrawn and is refed but still filament does not come out from hotend.

I have also cleaned hotend and sawn light going trough so it is not blocked.

Can you elaborate more what do you mean as the barrel? I have 12v minifans but I have no knowledge which part of extruder I should cool down.

I dont know right terms but is the problem that plastic part of extruder overheats and filament fails to reach hotend?
January 19, 2014 09:17PM
If you are setting your nozzle gap to 0.4mm, then that's miles too big. Set it to 0.1mm ( thickness of a piece of 80gsm copy paper). Nothing will ever stick with a 0.4mm gap.

Click here to login