Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heat exchanger

Posted by dissidence 
heat exchanger
January 23, 2014 04:08AM
i am making a heat exchanger core with coroplast, but i just thought i would ask in anyone tried printing one with abs, or would that have too much thermal resistance compared to coroplast pieces.?

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Re: heat exchanger
January 23, 2014 01:12PM
Standard polypropolyene has similar thermal conductivity ranges as ABS and PLA, all between .1 and .25 W/m.K. They all suck as a heat exchanger material as they don't conduct heat well at all, but I understand why you're looking to use them. If you make the walls thin enough to maximize the heat exchange, I'd worry about how water tight the wall would be over time with thermal expansion and contraction. I'd think that the coroplast, with walls being extruded all at once solid, would have better long term results then something printed. But you don't say what is running through the exchanger, what pressure, temperatures, shape, layers, etc so there may be benfits where a printed exchanger's advantages outweight it's disadvantages (or at least uncertainties).
Re: heat exchanger
January 23, 2014 01:23PM
I thought it would be a good exparament. Though I am not sure how I would go about making a object that detailed.

what i have done so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 03:17PM by dissidence.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - heat exchanger.jpg (183.7 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login