Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

seeking Gcode Viewer / Editer

Posted by myrddinstarhawk 
seeking Gcode Viewer / Editer
January 24, 2014 04:23AM
i am looking for a gcode viewer / editer or someone to help me design one.

what i want to do.
after creating a gcode file in slic3r or skeinforge i want to be able to open the Gcode file in a graphic editer interface. view each layer like a page in a book with each layer on a separate page. be able to select points in the Gcode and preposition them. be able to tweak the paths to allow for certain openings that i can use for making paths for multi material prints and sharpening edges of shapes like artwork lettering and complex geometries. be able to cut and past pages so i can duplicate identical layers for extending prints. be able to edit and add supports so prints are not clogged with supports too thick or unreachable to be removed. be able to add in pauses at certain points or layers to filaments or hotpoints can be change or swapped out or for parts to be inserted into the print before continuing. i want to be able to customize internal structures so electronics can be added or unused volumes to use as chambers for liquids, coolants or other such to be inserted. tweak paths that wires and cables can be run through for controllers or cabled like in the inmoove robotic hand, etc. like in the images below i want to be able to tweek the shells and details of the lettering and the paths the printer traces for surface artwork like on the disk. so i can make them sharper or change filaments at a certain level to make the knotwork pattern on the disk stand out.

I am working on a reprap printer design that allows "hot"swap of hotpoints heads. sort of like the new modular heads for the makerbot printers. so materials can quickly be changed without having to re-feed filaments into the same hotpoint. to do this i need to have another motor or two added onto the hot point print head bracket that can pick and place swap-able heads from a rail on the top front edge of the printer.

myrddinstarhawk@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 04:25AM by myrddinstarhawk.
Re: seeking Gcode Viewer / Editer
January 24, 2014 01:59PM
myrddinstarhawk
be able to select points in the Gcode and preposition them. be able to tweak the paths to allow for certain openings that i can use for making paths for multi material prints and sharpening edges of shapes like artwork lettering and complex geometries. be able to cut and past pages so i can duplicate identical layers for extending prints. be able to edit and add supports so prints are not clogged with supports too thick or unreachable to be removed.
So that's all? Well that would be simple enough. O_o Adjusting a particular path could have significant side effects. Just moving a vertex a smidge would effect the shells that go around that vertex, which would also alter the infill pattern that was next to those shells. Depending on the direction of print head movement, infill pattern, it could be a nightmare to correct all the cascading changes needed. This would have to be done on every subsequent layer individually. All that is the job of the slicer.

myrddinstarhawk
be able to add in pauses at certain points or layers to filaments or hotpoints can be change or swapped out or for parts to be inserted into the print before continuing.
Can't that already be accomplished by inserting the appropriate G- or M-codes for your firmware to cool and position the extruder, then pause the print until an extruder is changed? You'd have to recalibrate things every time you changed the extruder. Yuck.

i want to be able to customize internal structures so electronics can be added or unused volumes to use as chambers for liquids, coolants or other such to be inserted. tweak paths that wires and cabes can be run through for controllers or cabled like in the inmoove robotic hand, etc.
Those internal structures should have been in the original design before it was sliced.

I understand what you're trying to do with your ideas and wishes, but I think you'd be really abusing the process and in the end, you'd have real print quality issues even with the ton of effort in your tweaking.
Re: seeking Gcode Viewer / Editer
January 24, 2014 05:55PM
There are several GCode viewers e.g. [www.thingiverse.com] (see also [gcode.ws])

It shows layer by layer GCode paths.

However it doesn't edit. (I dont know any that do)

IMHO, Unless you can find someone else who needs / wants this, you're either going to need to program it yourself (using the source code downloadable from thingiverse of the viewer) or possibly pay someone e.g. on one of the freelance programmer sites, to program it for you.

You have very complex requirements that sound akin to using something like Adobe Illustrator, and I think it would take ages to program (or $$$), however if you are programming it yourself, and could accept much less functionality, the first step may be to get the existing code to reconstruct the gcode from the on-screen paths, and save the gcode out again.

Then you'd need to write code to edit the path node point positions, and add pauses etc.
You could probably also move multiple points on the same layer and cut and paste layers.

However modifying multiple layers at the same time and adding support etc etc etc, is a far higher level of complexity, In which point you are getting into the realm of a 3D program, and you may need to take a completely different tack and not base the code on JavaScript based viewer, but possibly heavily customize something like Blender - (Good luck if you want to do this, as its months of work or $$$$)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 06:02PM by rogerclark.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login