Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pause command for G code?

Posted by gmh39 
Pause command for G code?
January 26, 2014 11:44PM
Is there a G-code command that pauses the print? I know you can use the "pause" button in Repetier, but I would like to be able to slice and run my code when I wake up, pause for the time that I am away at work and my GF is still sleeping, then resume once she is awake. Basically an 1-1.5 hour pause at the beginning of the g-code (before anything heats up).

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Re: Pause command for G code?
January 27, 2014 12:16AM
Not sure what firmware you are using, but there is a list of the G codes in The readme file in the Marlin folder.
January 27, 2014 12:28AM
M226: Gcode Initiated Pause
Example: M226

Initiates a pause in the same way as if the pause button is pressed. That is, program execution is stopped and the printer waits for user interaction. This matches the behaviour of M1 in the NIST RS274NGC G-code standard and M0 in Marlin firmware.
January 27, 2014 12:32AM
This is not as straightforward as it seems. When you pause a print, you really want the print to pause at the end of a thread and retract. You probably want more retract than usual to avoid ooze when you restart the print. Then the hotend must move away from the part and cool down there while the bed stays hot it it's heated so that the part doesn't come off. Then when you resume, you have to let the hot end warm up first. During that time, some plastic might ooze from the nozzle which you'll want to clean. Once warmed up, the the first thing it does is to advance by the same amout as the retract during the pause and resume the print.

I don't know if anyone has implemented something like this in the host or the firmware (if printing from SD card) yet.
Re: Pause command for G code
January 27, 2014 02:14AM
I think to do something like that you would have to write your own command. Or at least tweak one slightly. M600 would be a good place to start. You would just need to tweak it to not retract so much that it can continue without needing to reload the filament.

In marlin M600 lifts z, retracts, moves out of the way and keeps the bed hot.
January 27, 2014 03:31AM
you could maybe program in a bunch of X or Y axis moves, at a ridiculously slow feedrate? it would be difficult to get the timing exactly right though moody smiley
January 27, 2014 06:49AM
Silly me. Should not reply to forum posts while half asleep. I re read and realised what your trying to do.

You want G4 Dwell.

From the wiki

Wiki
G4: Dwell

Example: G4 P200

In this case sit still doing nothing for 200 milliseconds. During delays the state of the machine (for example the temperatures of its extruders) will still be preserved and controlled.

so if you were to put G4 P5400000 at the start of your gcode it would sit there and do nothing for 1.5 hours.

Thats assuming 5400000 isnt too big a number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 06:52AM by lazzymonk.
January 27, 2014 08:56AM
lazzymonk
Silly me. Should not reply to forum posts while half asleep. I re read and realised what your trying to do.

You want G4 Dwell.

From the wiki

Wiki
G4: Dwell

Example: G4 P200

In this case sit still doing nothing for 200 milliseconds. During delays the state of the machine (for example the temperatures of its extruders) will still be preserved and controlled.

so if you were to put G4 P5400000 at the start of your gcode it would sit there and do nothing for 1.5 hours.

Thats assuming 5400000 isnt too big a number.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

greghoge.com

January 27, 2014 09:37AM
OK. I thought he wanted to pause twice. Once before the print starts and another in the middle of the print. My bad.
January 27, 2014 12:40PM
If someone already said this sorry. I believe if you are using repetier you can add a @pause with a message to remind you what you need to do.
January 27, 2014 12:41PM
lazzymonk

You want G4 Dwell.
That may be good if you need a short period for something. But having the extruder stay fully heated for an hour and a half may results in oozing, or if nothing else, cooking the filament.

Plus, what was the original purpose of needing the pause? If it's from a safety aspect in case something overheats or worse catches fire, then just sitting there with both heat sources on but the printer not moving doesn't increase the safety.
January 27, 2014 12:43PM
gmh39
Basically an 1-1.5 hour pause at the beginning of the g-code (before anything heats up).
January 27, 2014 02:09PM
cdru
lazzymonk

You want G4 Dwell.
That may be good if you need a short period for something. But having the extruder stay fully heated for an hour and a half may results in oozing, or if nothing else, cooking the filament.

Plus, what was the original purpose of needing the pause? If it's from a safety aspect in case something overheats or worse catches fire, then just sitting there with both heat sources on but the printer not moving doesn't increase the safety.

I needed a way to pause my printer immediately at the start of the job for a designated period of time. This would let me slice and start a print when I wake up/am getting ready for work in the morning, then it would actually start heating and printing when by GF wakes up (about 1-1.5 hours after I leave for work) and can keep an eye on the print. It is basically to avoid the hassle of having her set it all up or me running it and waking her up.

greghoge.com

January 27, 2014 02:53PM
Ah. Then the dwell would work as long as it was executed prior to warming up the extruder or bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login