Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connect two fans in series?

Posted by jpan 
Connect two fans in series?
January 27, 2014 08:17AM
I just got a 80mm fan and a 40mm fan online. I plan to use the 80mm one to cool off the print and 40mm one to cool off RAMPS.

I checked and saw a small driver that sells more than $10 which seems to me too expensive. I am thinking maybe to connect the two fans in series would work, by which I mean connect one of the fans' (-)to the other fan's (+), and connect the first fan's (+) and the second fan's (-) to the board. I'm not sure if it might work:

1) will the current be enough?
2) 80mm fan requires more amps, is it fine to connect them like that?
Re: Connect two fans in series?
January 27, 2014 08:36AM
you'll probably find that the 80mm fan won't spin as fast as the 40mm fan, if at all.

in series they will both spin at 50% of normal speed anyway, even if the current draw was the same for both fans.

what about connecting your 40mm fan straight to the power supply (through a fuse!) so that it's always running when the printer is turned on? smiling smiley
January 27, 2014 08:56AM
Thanks, sounds good!
January 27, 2014 09:09AM
Why not just connect them in parallel? Anything that can drive one fan should not have a problem driving 2. They use less than 0.2amps normally.
January 27, 2014 08:11PM
That might work.. I'll try that out.

What about just double "max fan speed" on my slicer. Will that work? My guess is still the 80mm one would be slower, but 40mm will be at the normal speed.
January 28, 2014 04:53AM
that would only work with 6v fans. 2 fans connected in series with a 12v supply will get 6v each, Max. If you set the max fan speed to 255 (which is the max) you only get 12v still. Its simple electronics.

The best way to do it is to connect them in parallel.
January 28, 2014 04:53PM
Sounds good! Should I still double the max speed to let them work faster?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login