Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Leaders of a new generation.

Posted by sitinthehall 
Leaders of a new generation.
February 01, 2014 07:29AM
I suppose this is a little more of a rant than anything else. As of right now, I treat electronics as a hobby. A very intriguing hobby. I've always been interested in programming and circuits since I was a kid.
My dad is a mechanical engineer, and for as long as I can remember, I've asked him about what this or that does on a circuit board. And he's always seemed like a genius to me. On top of that, he's always loved a challenge. Any question I ask him has come with a rather short, but informative answer. One of those answers that requires me to research to find out what he meant. And, like you, I learned to love it! But if I ask him a question he doesn't know the answer to, he will find out the solution... And kick me in the butt with his knowledge yet again. Haha
I'm starting to build a prusa i3, with the help of my father. His work has some nice, expensive tools that can cut me the pieces I need for a single frame build. (And hopefully he can teach me come CAD too, we'll see how much patience he has for a noob)
Im new here, but I'm not asking for help. To be honest, I don't want help. I want to learn as much about this hobby as I can. But, I do have a couple things to say, since I'm new.
First, you guys/gals are awesome! You give straightforward advice when needed, and encourage everyone to learn!
Second, I really think if everyone were to dive deep into this, they would learn a very valuable skill. I am surprised that this movement isn't more popular! To be able to master a 3d printer, you have to have skills in engineering, software, hardware, an eye for art, and many other things.
And lastly, robotics. The real reason why I started this post. This isn't much of a mainstream conversation topic, but I imagine everyone in this community is gaining an invaluable skill by learning simple to complex robotics. Does anyone else here think about the implications, and the value of the skills you learn about mastering robotics? And how much the robotics industry will grow within the next few years?!

Questions, comments, concerns, and welcomes are... Well welcomed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 07:30AM by sitinthehall.
Re: Leaders of a new generation.
February 01, 2014 12:34PM
I think that people within a group, surround themselves with aspects of that group, and their lives become ingrained in that group, which leads them to believe that that group is much larger and more important than it really is.

I also am interested in electronics, robotics, and 3d printing, and also machining. I am not a degreed, professional engineer, but I have designed and sold electronic devices. I often find myself, especially when speaking of open source hardware/software, thinking "wow, this is so amazing; anybody can do this!" Then I look around, and see that nobody is. I am the only one. Nobody I know has a 3d printer, or a lathe, or a cnc machine. I can count on two hands how many have a complete socket set, and on one hand how many have a soldering iron. I login to a forum and see all the amazing things people are doing and making, and that is a sweet departure from reality for me.

I see things like Radio Shack starting to offer hobby electronics again and I get a false sense of encouragement, like "yes! People are finally starting to care how to make things again!" But that quickly dies when I realize that I'm the only nerd browsing that lonely corner of the store, and everybody else is huddled around the cell phone displays.

The truth is, this "new generation" of intelligent, highly technical people is an illusion created and perpetuated by intelligent and highly technical people who don't realize, or don't want to realize, that they stand alone. 95% of everybody else is content to be dumb consumers, who don't care anything of the genius it took to develop the tech that they scramble over on black friday. They don't care about how or why it works. They only care that they have the latest revision.

There is an undeniable movement, evidenced by things like 3d printing popping up and growing, and online sites like sparkfun being able to exist, but I posit that for every 5 nerds who are born, 95 dumb people are. In the big picture, we are still taking steps backward.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 12:47PM by strantor.
February 01, 2014 01:52PM
strantor
I think that people within a group, surround themselves with aspects of that group, and their lives become ingrained in that group, which leads them to believe that that group is much larger and more important than it really is.

I also am interested in electronics, robotics, and 3d printing, and also machining. I am not a degreed, professional engineer, but I have designed and sold electronic devices. I often find myself, especially when speaking of open source hardware/software, thinking "wow, this is so amazing; anybody can do this!" Then I look around, and see that nobody is. I am the only one. Nobody I know has a 3d printer, or a lathe, or a cnc machine. I can count on two hands how many have a complete socket set, and on one hand how many have a soldering iron. I login to a forum and see all the amazing things people are doing and making, and that is a sweet departure from reality for me.

I see things like Radio Shack starting to offer hobby electronics again and I get a false sense of encouragement, like "yes! People are finally starting to care how to make things again!" But that quickly dies when I realize that I'm the only nerd browsing that lonely corner of the store, and everybody else is huddled around the cell phone displays.

The truth is, this "new generation" of intelligent, highly technical people is an illusion created and perpetuated by intelligent and highly technical people who don't realize, or don't want to realize, that they stand alone. 95% of everybody else is content to be dumb consumers, who don't care anything of the genius it took to develop the tech that they scramble over on black friday. They don't care about how or why it works. They only care that they have the latest revision.

There is an undeniable movement, evidenced by things like 3d printing popping up and growing, and online sites like sparkfun being able to exist, but I posit that for every 5 nerds who are born, 95 dumb people are. In the big picture, we are still taking steps backward.
I agree with you I'm an older gentleman when I was young everybody built things in either a celler or shed with tools that were his father's it was almost the reverse of what it is now I think the United States has gone backwards we have a lot of highly educated people but it seems they don't have any hands-on or creativity
February 01, 2014 04:28PM
You raise some good points, Strantor. I do agree that the technical aspects of most things are outside of the average persons interest. Heck, I think most people quickly opt out whenever it comes to learning.
But, while the technical aspects of 3d printing or robotics aren't for everyone, I do think the possibilities for being able to learn, fabricate, and prototype are better than what they once were.
Even if the only people who are interested in advancing technology are like the people in this forum, it's still an exciting idea to think that the access to the tools and information required to prototype can be accessed from home, instead of a university or a job.
Oh, and if it's any consulation to you, cncdick, I'm 25.
February 01, 2014 04:44PM
LOL glad I'm not the only one who feels 'alone' in this world! smileys with beer

I think back to my younger years when Dad tried to get me into the shop to help him out, learn and play.
i was never interested (Typical kid/teenager I guess) but boy oh boy, do I regret not spending the time with
him. The things we could have done!

Today, I have a lathe and mill that I bought through auction houses. they were in pretty poor shape, so I completely rebuilt them.
Once they were built, I made the CNC machine with them.
With the CNC I built the 3D printer... to me, this is 'normal' all my peers think I'm a genius! lol
"He built a CNC in his basement! and has a 3D printer!" uhm... to me it was pretty easy, I guess it is when its a passion huh?!

There is a limit though, I'll weigh the time/cost to build/buy something now. but 9/10 I'll build it.
mostly cuz I can't afford it!

I only know of 1 person(IRL) like that, turns out he's my best friend, but we don't get into the shop much anymore.
So why don't you all move closer so we can hang out and build some awesome stuff?!?! lol

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
VDX
February 01, 2014 05:46PM
... hmm ... my dad was an electrician/engineer on power-plants and teached me some of his 'skills' with tools and hacks ... I'm a physicist with strong relations/interests into high-tech ... and both my sons (15 and 13) are reasonable interested in technical aspects ... so some hope, they'll continue the path grinning smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login