Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r not speeding up prints!

Posted by ayouden 
Slic3r not speeding up prints!
February 05, 2014 02:00PM
Hey,

I have got my printer nicely tuned, so i thought I could up the speed on the prints.

However, the only layer I can get it to speed up is the first layer! I have both perimeter and infill to above 100m/s but it still moves as fast as my original settings.

But the first layer moves at the speed which I have set it.

Does slic3r or Repetier host prevent speeding up?

Thanks

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
Re: Slic3r not speeding up prints!
February 05, 2014 03:03PM
What do you have set as the max print speed in your firmware? That will override anything you put in slic3r.
February 05, 2014 04:04PM
I never realised that there was a max speed in Marlin, I will try and fix that now. Thanks
February 05, 2014 04:15PM
I altered the feed rate on Marlin, but that hasn't worked!
February 05, 2014 05:22PM
What happens if you increase the feed rate via the manual slider in Repetier?

Also, if your acceleration limit is low then the printer does not speed up much on short
runs.

I tend to use the Feed Rate slider in Repetier or the feed rate dial on my I3 vs playing
with slicer settings. I have found that to be easier since some filament does better at
higher speeds than others.
February 05, 2014 05:31PM
It seems that it will not go fast during certain layers of infill, however, when it gets to the top layers, it speeds up again
February 05, 2014 05:53PM
How did you change marlin? If you modified the source code and re-uploaded, that won't necessarily work if you have EEPROM enabled. If EEPROM is enabled, you should use the M203 command to change the speed.
February 05, 2014 05:56PM
The feed rate slider, I'd bet, does not change the raw speed value. Instead it changes the speed factor (see the M220 command) which is a universal multiple that affects all movement. If you want to change the basic speed limit on one or more axes, the best way is with M203. Even if you are able to modify and upload the source code, M203 allows you to experiment until you have the value you want.
February 05, 2014 06:08PM
It most likely the minimum layer time causing the issue. You would have found that answer if you had searched the Slic3r sub forum.

First post on the second page of the slic3r sub forum [forums.reprap.org] starts with

after the bottom layers are done and the spiraling begins it's slooooooow,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2014 06:23PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 05, 2014 07:35PM
There's that. I think it's in the cooling tab. If your are printing small objects, and the layer print time is very short, Slic3r will slow things down such that the layer lasts the minimum layer time.
February 05, 2014 08:01PM
read this:

[www.thingiverse.com]

it will speed up marlin for you!

replace the sqrt calculations with this and your performance with short lines will improve! if issues are not slow down from the cool feature.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2014 10:44PM by jamesdanielv.
February 06, 2014 09:25AM
jamesdanielv
read this:

[www.thingiverse.com]

it will speed up marlin for you!

replace the sqrt calculations with this and your performance with short lines will improve! if issues are not slow down from the cool feature.

Interesting,

Could you make better prints that showcase the differences better? I'm still not entirely sure what the benefit or your new sqrt function achieved in the final print.
February 06, 2014 10:21AM
If I was to disable the min. Time for layers. How mch of an effect would this have on print the quality? If at all.

Thanks.
February 06, 2014 01:51PM
ayouden
If I was to disable the min. Time for layers. How mch of an effect would this have on print the quality? If at all.

Thanks.

Give it a try - only you can judge the quality. There could be some degradation of quality, but that also depends on your printer.
February 07, 2014 02:50PM
the minimum layer time is there to allow for cooling of the just extruded material. If you keep adding more and more hot material in very short duration layers then you'll end up with a blob. If you disable the mimum layer time then you should implement forced air print cooling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login