Advanced

Shipping cost in Ebay suddenly much higher when paying

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Shipping cost in Ebay suddenly much higher when paying
February 06, 2014 03:33PM
Does anyone ever have this?

I'm buying this:
[cgi.ebay.nl]

For me it says I have to pay 8.09 euros for shipping. However, when I want to pay, it's suddenly way higher.

The shipping cost end up to be 24 euros instead of 8.09 euro. This cannot be right!!! What!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 03:40PM by Ohmarinus.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 9.21.51 PM.png (187.7 KB)
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 9.22.25 PM.png (97.9 KB)
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 9.23.54 PM.png (17.4 KB)
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 9.24.01 PM.png (30.9 KB)
Re: Shipping cost in Ebay suddenly much higher when paying
February 06, 2014 04:10PM
I am in the UK. I have learnt from experience that when you order from the States the postage is often for just within the US mainland.
You need to check carefully before you buy.
February 06, 2014 04:16PM
dave3d
I am in the UK. I have learnt from experience that when you order from the States the postage is often for just within the US mainland.
You need to check carefully before you buy.

On the sellers page you can calculate the shipping cost, below the description of the product. There it also said 10 us dollars for international shipping to The Netherlands. (See attached image)

So, I did check carefully before I buy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 04:18PM by Ohmarinus.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 9.33.55 PM.png (100.6 KB)
February 06, 2014 04:26PM
How many did you order? That shipping total is for 1 according to the listing, so if you ordered 2, 4 whatever it would be more.

Did you choose the cheapest shipping, it looks like he has 3 methods 2 of them would be more money than the other.

Thais is the only reason I can think of for the higher shipping. I am a high ranked power seller for 14+ years on ebay.
February 06, 2014 04:32PM
There was a problem with the calculations. We have agreed to cancel the order and will try to solve it in another way.

Good service from 3dmakerworld and quick reply! smiling smiley
February 06, 2014 05:15PM
I think it's a shady practice to severely inflate the shipping costs in order to advertise a lower actual purchase price. It's a method to avoid having to pay ebay fees while still making the same amount. Domestic shipping for that item is 7.30 USD which is ridiculous.
February 06, 2014 08:25PM
""It's a method to avoid having to pay ebay fees while still making the same amount.""

Actually, ebay has charged fees on the total including shipping charges for about 3 years now. This was put into effect to stop exactly what you mention. If you sell something for $1 and the shipping is $100 the fee is then based on $101. Another case of a few bad people ruining it for everyone.
February 07, 2014 01:21PM
So I'm now back looking for a supplier that can sell me bronze bushings for the same nice price... It seems we cannot work it out.
February 07, 2014 11:33PM
cdru
I think it's a shady practice to severely inflate the shipping costs in order to advertise a lower actual purchase price. It's a method to avoid having to pay ebay fees while still making the same amount. Domestic shipping for that item is 7.30 USD which is ridiculous.

Depends on the method. UPS Ground retail price will be more than that except maybe for a local shipment. It's too thick to qualify for letter rate though I'm sure some have done it (and the ebay shipping calculator won't print that postage) First Class Package/Thick Letter is about US$2.00 these days for one, probably $3.00 for a dozen of them. It's at least $5-6 for Priority Mail. You can get that same thing direct from the manufacturer in the US but they'll charge you UPS retail rate for shipping plus a handling surcharge because it's a low cost order. IIRC the last time I bought from them it was US$12 or so for for shipping a dozen of them. Because of large retailers like Amazon building in shipping to the cost many that buy are used to discounted or free shipping. Most of the little guys aren't in a position to offer that service without somehow accounting for it in the bottom line. When I offer no cost or flat rate shipping it's built into the price of the item using an average shipping price or in lieu of a discount when multiple items are purchased.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login