Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are there Marlin updates since 1.0.0 release worth checking out?

Posted by Karmavore 
Are there Marlin updates since 1.0.0 release worth checking out?
February 06, 2014 11:50PM
Hello.

I'm running a pretty-much-vanilla i3 with RAMPS 1.4 and the June 1.0.0 Marlin release. I saw some posts recently suggesting that I could improve the performance of my printer by changing the firmware code. This got me to thinking that perhaps a reasonably tested set of such updates can be found in an updated version of Marlin.

I took a look at the github, and there's a lot of activity on it. Poking around a little bit, it seems that most of the new features are for deltas, or for doubled x and y motors, or something called "babystepping." This is great, but it's not a reason for me and my printer to upgrade.

That said, I did see one change dedicated the easier Arduino processing, and there could easily be others. Does anyone out there know about any, and have they incorporated any of these changes on top of the 1.0.0 release?
Re: Are there Marlin updates since 1.0.0 release worth checking out?
February 07, 2014 06:21AM
improved performance, better lcd support, support for bt, and better memory utilization, as strings are stored in eprom, and no longer stored in precious ram. (this may have been around a while)

for example i have used this to use bt, and increase my buffer size.

I am assuming you mean why i would want the most current builds. marlin development is still very active.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 06:30AM by jamesdanielv.
February 07, 2014 11:04AM
Thanks for the reply, you are indeed interpreting my question correctly.

I did see robust activity on github, which I interpreted as a risky thing to port over to my machine. And because the version number in the code hadn't been incremented, I took this as a clue that the Marlin Poobahs didn't necessarily recommend grabbing the current version just yet. And given that merging configuration.h settings and some custom menu changes is non-trivial, I thought I'd ask before just diving in. It sounds you'd recommend that I make the jump, and I'll do it. I'd like to compare before-and-after prints.

And I'd like to know if there is anyone out there willing to go into more detail on the "improved performance" part. Where should I look in the code, and how did your printer's performance improve?
February 07, 2014 11:07AM
I've been motivated to switch to the new version in order to do automatic bed leveling once I implement the HW changes in my printers.
February 07, 2014 12:59PM
Automatic bed leveling is the number one reason you should upgrade. I did it recently and I am certainly glad I did.
February 07, 2014 04:28PM
Hmmm. I have to say I'm a little surprised by the outpouring of support for the automatic bed leveling feature. Instinctively, this feels like a very clever and impressive solution whose drawbacks (additional complexity and carriage weight) allow it to lose out to the boring, obvious solution (build a stable and level bed.) I would feel differently if I was still working with my dual-plate i2, but my i3 is solid. And I've spent so many hours becoming a bed-leveling pro, this might also be a solution arrived too late. winking smiley

But I don't want to hijack my own thread. I'm still looking for examples in the Marlin code of performance improvements made since the June 2013 1.0.0 release.
February 07, 2014 05:01PM
Every time I have upgraded my FW I have found some improvements. Most of them have been cosmetic (lcd display) but some are functional. There is no reason not to update your firmware. The biggest PIA is that you can't just copy your config.h file over. You have to go in and manually set all the settings. It would be nice if someone wrote a program that stored your basic printer settings and modified the firmware for you.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
February 07, 2014 08:27PM
Karmavore
Hmmm. I have to say I'm a little surprised by the outpouring of support for the automatic bed leveling feature. Instinctively, this feels like a very clever and impressive solution whose drawbacks (additional complexity and carriage weight) allow it to lose out to the boring, obvious solution (build a stable and level bed.) I would feel differently if I was still working with my dual-plate i2, but my i3 is solid. And I've spent so many hours becoming a bed-leveling pro, this might also be a solution arrived too late. winking smiley

But I don't want to hijack my own thread. I'm still looking for examples in the Marlin code of performance improvements made since the June 2013 1.0.0 release.
I agree it's always better to fix the real problem or the root of the problem and not use something else to go around it to make it work
February 07, 2014 09:43PM
jzatopa
It would be nice if someone wrote a program that stored your basic printer settings and modified the firmware for you.

Do you mean something like the Repetier 0.91 auto-configuration web tool, where you can upload your last configuration.h file as a base for your new build?????
February 08, 2014 06:28AM
Is there any news about E-stop or really working Pause buttom?
February 08, 2014 03:18PM
vreihen
jzatopa
It would be nice if someone wrote a program that stored your basic printer settings and modified the firmware for you.

Do you mean something like the Repetier 0.91 auto-configuration web tool, where you can upload your last configuration.h file as a base for your new build?????

I have not seen that so the answer is, possibly, yes.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
February 08, 2014 08:27PM
Feel free to take it for a test drive:

http://www.repetier.com/firmware/v091/

Not promoting one firmware over another, just pointing out that the Repetier web config tool does take your current config file as a base for building a new one.....
February 08, 2014 08:41PM
if it was made from the tool previously.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login