Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

25 Button Serial Keypad for Headless Printing

Posted by lazzymonk 
25 Button Serial Keypad for Headless Printing
February 08, 2014 05:52AM
Im not sure if anyone else will be interested in this. But I have recently finished making a 25 button keypad that sends serial commands to my ramps.

I made it because im really not a fan of needing a computer to print, but like the controls you get by using a computer. So I made this

It is really very simple. Its just an Attiny85, some push buttons and a load of resistors. The resistors make are used to create a voltage divider when pressed that is read by an ADC pin on the tiny. Half the buttons are connected to 1 ADC pin the other half to another.

The far left and far right buttons, when pressed together shut of the power supply.

If anyone is interested (im sure your not) I can post the pcb layout and code.
Re: 25 Button Serial Keypad for Headless Printing
February 08, 2014 09:06AM
Don't sell your self short.. that is cool. I would like to know more about it.
Does it work along side usb,lcd?
Can you give more detail in it's functions?
Nice work..
February 08, 2014 10:08AM
Thanks smiling smiley

I have not tried it with the USB connected but there are no firmware changes needed for it to work so it should do. Only limitation is the attiny85 has a max serial baudrate of 115200.

It does work along side an lcd, I use it with an rrd LCD with encoder.

The functions are simply gcode sent to D0 pin on the ramps which is the USB serial pin. So you could make each button do what you like.
February 10, 2014 06:32PM
Anyone know of a gcode for relative tempurature changes? That would be helpful
February 10, 2014 09:50PM
I agree with cat.farmer. This is cool. I'd like to know more about the connections between this board and the arduino, and the firmware you have loaded into the Attiny.
February 10, 2014 09:55PM
From the marlin readme,it looks like M104. Or are you thinking adding to the current temp setting?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 09:56PM by cat.farmer.
February 11, 2014 03:58AM
Im thinking adding to the current temp. Like with movements using the m90/m91 commands to switch between relative and absolute.

I will post the firmware tonight. Im at work at the moment.
February 11, 2014 05:05AM
If you added the connection to D1 you could just read the result of a M105 and add/subtract from it.
February 11, 2014 05:10AM
Only problem with that is that the atting85 only has serial out. It can not read serial. It would have to use software serial which is hard get stable at 115200 baudrate
February 11, 2014 01:21PM
Below is the pcb design for the keypad

attached is the firmware. It is very basic and the ranges for each button are very wide. If you have a better selection of resistors than I have you should be able to work work out if more than one button is being pressed at the same time.
Attachments:
open | download - keypad.ino (2.5 KB)
February 11, 2014 03:02PM
So looking at the circuit diagram, from left to right, your 3 connections into the arduino are Ground, +5V, D0. Is that correct?

The firmware looks simple enough - just read in a single value from two ports and branch based on the voltage seen.
February 11, 2014 03:10PM
Thats exactly it. So simple im surprised it hasnt been done before.
February 11, 2014 05:26PM

Now has a faceplate too. stl files attached
Attachments:
open | download - keypadfaceplatebutton.stl (61.2 KB)
open | download - keypadfaceplate.stl (359.2 KB)
February 11, 2014 05:35PM
Could you use resistor networks in place of the rows of identical resistors? That would save some space and assembly time.
February 11, 2014 05:39PM
The resistors are different. You need 12 different values for it to work. So no, as it is you could not use resistor networks.
February 12, 2014 12:03PM
Have you tried this out with a computer also connected via USB? I would think there would be issues there, but I don't know enough about the electronics behind USB to know for sure. I like the idea of moving the head around, setting temps, etc, via something like this, but I also like to follow progress on my PC. The problem is the PC is constantly transmitting to the arduino while it is printing, and if we interjected a command via this board simultaneously with a PC-sent command, I would think things would get totally confused.

I'm looking at this idea as a nice enhancement to my shapeoko rather than to my 3d printers. The LCD/encoder on my printers gives me somewhat clumsy control over local movement, etc, so the need is less there.
February 12, 2014 12:39PM
jbernardis
I'm looking at this idea as a nice enhancement to my shapeoko rather than to my 3d printers. The LCD/encoder on my printers gives me somewhat clumsy control over local movement, etc, so the need is less there.

xpix has been working on this exact issue over on the shapeoko forums.
[www.shapeoko.com]
[www.shapeoko.com]

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
February 12, 2014 01:15PM
It does work with usb connected but sending commands from both at the same time does cause problems.
February 18, 2015 11:12PM
I've just finished a similar project
It does need the computer to run , But is way simpler to implement !

Have a look

[sites.google.com]
November 09, 2015 04:40AM
very interesting project

can you help me on a easy conversion

( i want to avoid all the soldering side)
if i take an arduino mega, can i assign 25 button to inputs

what change need to be done on the software side

thanks
November 09, 2015 06:25AM
Nice idea; but I prefer soft buttons on a touch screen, like this:

See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for more and [github.com] for the design files.[Full disclosure: mentioned stuff that I sell.]

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

November 09, 2015 08:41AM
i like that touch screen, would like to implement that to my design
November 09, 2015 09:03AM
Does it works with marlin and ramps?
November 09, 2015 11:27AM
fabrice974
Does it works with marlin and ramps?

It currently works with RepRapFirmware, and support for it is being added to Smoothieware. There are a couple of issues with using it with Arduino/RAMPS/Marlin:

- Marlin doesn't support some of the gcodes it uses. Specifically, the M408 S0 and M408 S1 status commands (needed to get good status information from the printer), the M20 S2 command, and the M36 code used to provide file information. See [reprap.org] for the definitions of these codes.

- Arduino/RAMPS can't supply enough 5V power for a colour touch screen backlight, or even a mono graphics LCD backlight in many cases. Although you can power the screen separately from a 5V USB power supply instead.

A colour touch screen of this size (i.e. 4.3, 5 or 7 inch) is also rather an expensive option for anyone using budget electronics such as RAMPS.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 09, 2015 11:55AM
Dc42 how does the duet pair up with these lcds? Very likely that's the boards I be using when the printer frame is done.
November 09, 2015 12:16PM
The LCD control board has a 4-way connector, which can be connected to the expansion connector on a Duet, or the expansion connector on a DuetX4 expansion board, or the dedicated PanelDue connector on a Duet 0.8.5. It uses async serial communication with the host. It's compatible with both 5V and 3.3V electronics, although for 5V electronics I recommend using an external pullup resistor on the data out connection. Connection instructions are at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

I have shipped around 170 of these so far, and I am about to commission manufacture of another batch.

November 09, 2015 01:33PM
cool, thats very much what I'm looking to do, thanks for info dc42, what are cost for the external pullups? thanks
November 09, 2015 05:59PM
The external pullup is just a 10K resistor, so costs almost nothing. But it isn't needed with Duet, Smoothieboard, RADDS or other 3.3V electronics.

November 10, 2015 07:25AM
ah thats cool, I have my mind set on duet smiling smiley
January 20, 2016 06:13AM
I am very interested in making the analog buttons for my Mostly Printed CNC. Where can I find more details about it (resistor values, etc)?

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login