Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any user reviews on Mega Bot by MakeMendel

Posted by dc_nova 
Any user reviews on Mega Bot by MakeMendel
February 16, 2014 06:32PM
Hello All,

I am looking to buy a large volume 3d printer and looks like MegaBot is the only option. Are there any existing users of this. If so could you guys please share your experiences, the good and the bad.
The company website does not have much information, they have not really printed any large volume object for us to see how good it is printing that.

[makemendel.com]

Thanks in advance..
Re: Any user reviews on Mega Bot by MakeMendel
February 16, 2014 08:57PM
(apologies for the somewhat-blatant advertising)

You may also want to consider a printer I have been developing: [www.fusion3design.com]
February 16, 2014 09:14PM
Its nice but expensive and also does not offer the large print volume I am looking for.
So not deviating from the topic, I am still looking for real user reviews of mega bot.

Appreciate any user feedback on the topic.

Thanks..
February 16, 2014 10:30PM

Its nice but expensive and also does not offer the large print volume I am looking for.

You didn't specify exactly what volume you needed, so I thought it was worth suggesting. Sorry to hear it won't work for you. What sort of projects do you have in mind that require that volume?
February 17, 2014 01:33AM
crispy1
(apologies for the somewhat-blatant advertising)

You may also want to consider a printer I have been developing: [www.fusion3design.com]

I wouldn't worry about that, the OP smells like astro-turfing. The megabot was launched a few days ago and then a new user turns up making dubious claims about the product and "asking for information"....seems suspicious.

Anyway it's certainly not the largest volume printer, although may be longest in single dimension. It's a kit, so the quality of printing will depend on the skill of the builder. If the vendor doesn't provide pictures of prints made by the printer, don't bother with it.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
February 17, 2014 02:08AM
Haha .. Trust me I am a noob and in NO way affiliated to makemendel/megabot, but I am considering it just by the build volume. The fact that there are no reviews on that is what worrying me and the reason for me to put the same question in this forum from real users.
February 17, 2014 02:58AM
How much time do you have?

I had a print this weekend about 4x4x6 inches, and it was a leisurely 30mm sec, .2mm layer, 20% honeycomb infill, and I may have gone overboard with the supports. It took and hour to slice and twenty hours to print.

Scale it up to a big build volume and it could weeks.

No thanks.
February 17, 2014 08:58AM
DonaldJ

I had a print this weekend about 4x4x6 inches, and it was a leisurely 30mm sec, .2mm layer, 20% honeycomb infill, and I may have gone overboard with the supports. It took and hour to slice and twenty hours to print.

No thanks.

Are you saying this was with the Megabot ?.

To others who are wondering what I am going to be printing with this. I am looking forward to offer 3D print services on craigslist in Washington DC area and thought getting a machine with large build volume would make my services a little different from other providers in this area. There is an UPS store with 3D printer close to my house and need to be competing with them too .. lol
February 17, 2014 09:48AM
If you are a noob to 3D printing and trying to offer services, I would go with something a bit more established, like a Mendel Max or a Mendel 90.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
February 18, 2014 04:53PM
All this time here in forum and no user reviews for this particular model. I am disappointed and think I will drop the idea of getting a megabot printer :-(.
February 18, 2014 05:10PM
dc_nova
All this time here in forum and no user reviews for this particular model. I am disappointed and think I will drop the idea of getting a megabot printer :-(.

I think your expectations are unrealistic.

The Megabot was launched on 30 Jan, 18 days ago. The delivery time is up to 8 days. That leaves someone 10 days to build the printer and tune it. The probability that anyone has done all that and is also a user here are remote.

What is Open Source?
February 18, 2014 05:43PM
bobc
dc_nova

I think your expectations are unrealistic.

The Megabot was launched on 30 Jan, 18 days ago. The delivery time is up to 8 days. That leaves someone 10 days to build the printer and tune it. The probability that anyone has done all that and is also a user here are remote.

Oh, I thought mega bot was launched in October based on their twitter feed, they kind of had some sale offer for $1199 back then. Anyway I am surprised none of the rapid bot users chimed in with any feedback. Well I guess I would have to be more patient then.
February 18, 2014 06:23PM
You could always buy one then tell us what it is like smiling smiley

ETA:

Oh, I thought mega bot was launched in October based on their twitter feed

That was the Rapidbot Mega, actually a different printer now apparently discontinued.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 07:06PM by bobc.

What is Open Source?
February 18, 2014 11:45PM
dc_nova
DonaldJ

No thanks.

Are you saying this was with the Megabot ?.

No.
May 08, 2014 04:57AM
Hi Guys, Thread revival time... It's been a few months since launch now... Any reviews yet? I'm actually going to check out the printer in person on monday, so I was hoping to have some insight before I went. The company reviews don't seem too promising and looking at the build video on their youtube channel doesn't really inspire any confidence either. The only reasons for me to consider this printer are : -

1. Local availability, so no issues with shipping, customs etc. Also, local support if I need it, I can always barge into their office.
  2. Bed size seems to be the biggest in this price range, especially since it's also heated.

Soooo... Any inputs would really be appreciated... What should I look out for? What Questions should I ask? Etc...

p.s. this will be my first printer.

p.p.s. I'm not "Astro turfting" which seems to be the in thing these days, I'm just a confused first time 3d printer customer. (VERY confused... lol)
May 10, 2014 03:29AM
Hi Guys, I email MakeMendel questioning them about all the negative reviews about their products I could find online, and this is what they came up with. Still going for the demo on Monday, But not sure what to expect anymore... I mean why should I have to do the extra work to get the heated bed up to temprature, and why is this something they aren't doing themselves? Just one of the questions I intend on asking them... Anyone have any inputs? I really want to buy this printer, but I also don't want to land up with a white elephant... So please arm me with questions to help me get a better idea of what I'm getting into... Thanks grinning smiley

Hi Hansveer,

Below are our comments.

Feel welcome to contact, if you need any other help.
Thanks,
Rohini

Known issues : -

Q) Heated bed temperature very low - "The "heated" bed only gets up to 45c and this is after warming for a half hour or so. I cant print ABS on it or it warps really bad. I contacted makemendel and they told me to cut the wires and wire it directly to the power supply..."

"The heated print bed kind of pisses me off. Its false advertising to say the printer prints abs because it has a heated print bed when the print bed only gets to 35-45c. Bait and switch..."

A) With PLA you do not need to heat your Printbed. You can use Glass for PLA print.
For ABS, Use PCB Heatbed and give direct supply of 12 V to PCB.
Find below attached files which will help you in connection of 3 PCB to ATX and Printrboard.

Q) Filament Jamming - "my filament kept jamming and that the z-motor was kind of skipping on the filament eating it away as it would not enter the hotend.
My solution was to ad an extra the spring to press the filament firmly to the teeth of the feedwheel...."

A) This issue occurs if your Printbed is not leveled properly. It should be all linear while printing.
Nozzle tip and Printbed should have space to allow material to come out. If this distance is not kept proper either print will not stick to Printbed or Hotend will jam.

To resolve jamming, you can follow below steps.
Set Extruder Temperature to 230 degree and Extrude the clog material using Extrude command in Pronterface.
OR If that is not working then use some small rod which can go easily in Hotend, with the help of that push the clog material out.

Q) Head Jumping every 10-15 layers giving print errors - "An other thing I was wondering if anyone has experience with: I just printed a vertical testshaft, round, 11mm diameter. 2 cm high with 0.1mm layers. I noticed that every 10 to 15 layers the x or y position of the head jumps about 0.02mm . it gives a small error in the print. the funny thing is that it corrects itself over the period of 5 to 10 layers. and eventually lines out again. this whole thing repeats over the whole Z-length of the print.
On average the print is within limits. it just gives an less pleasing finish on the side of the print."

A) This happens if your stl file is having some issue.

Q) Head cooling issues -

A) Kindly describe your point briefly.

Q) Instruction manual not comprehensive

A) We are working to improve our manual . We have New Wiki page for all our machines, where building information if given and we are trying to improve it.
A video Manual is also available. Here : [www.youtube.com]-

Q) No way to level print bed - "There isnt any good way to level the print bed. Actually you cant level the bed at all. To level the X axis I have to manually turn one stepper motor on the Z axis untill I level the X axis on the print bed. The Y axis cannot be leveled at all so hope yours is level when you get it or put it together."

A) To level Printbed, You need to make sure that all your nuts and bearings are equally loose, as entire Printbed is leveled on 6 vertical rods.
By rotating Z couplings you can level your Printbed.

Q) Mac Support?

A) Currently our machine does not support Mac.

Q) Printing temperature too low to print ABS.

A) It can be increase by giving direct 12 V supply to all PCB Heatbed. Printrboard can handle upto 12 V, which gets distributed among Motors, PCB, Hotend.

9) Power Supply mounted improperly (rapidbot 3.0) - "My one huge complaint, the power supply isnt mounted correctly and the screws they used to mount it are not the right size so they work their way out with multiple times plugging and unplugging the power cable. They over used masking tape, they used it for EVERYTHING, that and zip ties. The printrboard is mounted with zipties on the botom of the machine. The power supply is in the same regeon. All of the cables for the power supply are covered in masking tape holding them in place, not a very elagant solution but it works. Some of the vents on the PSU were covered with masking tape, i had to cut it away so it could breath properly."

A) We have modified design for better placement of Power supply. The cables which are not in use are sealed with paper tape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 03:32AM by psych0hans.
May 13, 2014 05:02AM
No comments, suggestions, nothing? Help out a newbie guys...
May 13, 2014 09:33AM
I wouldn't get the printer, especially as a first printer. Seems worse off than the Solidoodle, if you're going to be doing services with the printer, you want a rock solid reliable one. I'm going for the same thing. But I'm waiting to really offer services until I have my printer completely reliable. Just the piecemeal customers I have now are hard to handle with an unreliable printer. Get a printer that lots of people have so you can get faster feedback. I'm not the best RepRapper, but I can tell you that's a bad printer and I would be surprised to find more than a few people here who would buy that.
May 14, 2014 04:26AM
Hi MrDoctorDIV, thanks a bunch for your reply. You make a pretty valid point, but for me the proximity and bed size is the major attractions... Either ways, I'm scheduled for a demo on friday (it was postponed by me). I'll make my final decision then. I think printrbot plus or ultimaker2 would probably be my second choice.
June 06, 2014 02:06AM
Hi psych0hans,

I have recently purchased MegaBot from Makemendel, It was just amazing. they delivered me the machine within 1 week, I also assembled the same, Earlier I had some calibration issues after talking to their support team I am no more having any issues Its just working smoothly with the PLA and gives a good output.

I would recommend MegaBot from Makemendel. Their support is good thumbs up

Thanks... smoking smiley
June 06, 2014 07:12AM
I landed up ordering something completely different. They guys at makemendel got back to me about the drawing I sent them and told me it would need a dual extruder setup to print. So I landed up buying a duplicator 4x. Not nearly the same print size, but it has dual extruders and that serves my purpose... Glad you're happy with your printer. Good luck!
June 06, 2014 01:37PM
CrazyGeek
Hi psych0hans,

I have recently purchased MegaBot from Makemendel, It was just amazing. they delivered me the machine within 1 week, I also assembled the same, Earlier I had some calibration issues after talking to their support team I am no more having any issues Its just working smoothly with the PLA and gives a good output.

I would recommend MegaBot from Makemendel. Their support is good thumbs up

Thanks... smoking smiley

I have a very hard time believing this. Just a couple of days ago Tejal from Makemendel posted this [forums.reprap.org] which shows a medium size print from a megabot to show the quality of the print and I have to say it looks like something I would throw right into the recycling bin. The part looks like it has under extrusion problems and possibly over heated PLA trying to get it to extrude correctly. It looks fragile as a result and does not look like it is capable of producing structurally usable parts.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 06, 2014 01:39PM
Plus, look at his join date/number of posts. Definitely nothing to see.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 07, 2014 01:12PM
Hey look they just released an even bigger machine with even more design flaws. [makemendel.com]

It looks to be a giant HBot even though it is well known to have racking issues even on a small machine with short belts, but they decided to make a machine almost 1 metre square with this problematic system. Then they built a bed that is 900mm x 900mm out of a single sheet of acrylic without any ribs or reinforcements (can we say cm's of sag in the middle). They attached the bed using four lead screws and 8 linear guide rods just asking for binding issues. If all of this was not bad enough they built the machine out of small t-slot extrusions and the pictures show no triangulation or stiffening. It is quiet clear the designers for MakeMendel have little to no engineering experience or intuition.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 07, 2014 01:41PM
Agreed, makes me feel like a genius with my incomplete design that I thought was weak along the lengths..

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
August 04, 2014 11:47AM
Well all I can say about make-mendel is crap. Order something from them, they desptach to other addresses and then they accuse people of telling lies. Also, they do local fabrication of stuff with outdated tools with no regards to geometry or basic engineering. There super flawed hot end is one such example. To top bad quality, they have veen .worse customer service. All in all, they are just trying to sell dung to people in the name of cheap prices. Just see what kind of pictures they post of the prints. Even an un caliberated mendel will not produce such atrocious prints...tongue sticking out smiley
September 08, 2014 08:51AM
::::::::::::::::::::::: Beware of MakeMendel ::::::::::::::::::

rocky_reprap is right. I also bought recently one machine from them where the support is horrible. The same story they repeat ech time do you checked that this like that they time pass all the time. They are not confident on their product the same reason they are offering max 14 days warranty. There is no hierarchy mechanism. The same two numbers with all bull shit they will time pass . Finally Its crap products what they sell. Don't get tempted to buy by seeing low price.

::::::::::::::::::::::: Beware of MakeMendel ::::::::::::::::::
September 12, 2014 06:18AM
Hi everyone,

@Rocky Reprap what you purchased from Makemendel ?

Cheers
smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login