Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help Drawing cross hatch or mesh

Posted by ajmartin 
Help Drawing cross hatch or mesh
February 17, 2014 01:23PM
Hello,

If there ia a better place to ask this please point me there. I am using Cubify invent , trying to make a cross hatch pattern inside an irregular shapped oblong drawing. But just doing this in a rectangle would work as well, by cross hatch I mean intersecting lines with no material between them, like a net. I have taken the shape with out the cross hatch and extruded it to .030'' thick and it prints perfectly, but it is solid and I need it to be like a web inside. The oblong is 3.25'' long by 2.25 at the widest and .030 thick. In Cubify Invent it complains that my drawing in not closed if I try my attempt at this. I tried Sketch up also but can't figure it out. I am willing to pay someone if they can do this, then I can see how it is done also. Please let me know if you have any Ideas.

Alan
Re: Help Drawing cross hatch or mesh
February 17, 2014 01:36PM
Couldn't you just model it as a solid object and let the slicer generated fill create your cross hatch? Set the the perimeters to whatever number will give you the wall thickness you need.
February 17, 2014 01:38PM
Yea, you dont need to draw the infill. Your slicer should automatically generate it for you based on your specified infill density.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
February 17, 2014 01:41PM
Im not sure, In the 3D Invent software I cant see any way to do this. Then in the Cube SW, that is where the slicer stuff is correct, There are no tools to manitulate the drawing.

Alan
February 17, 2014 03:56PM
nevermind, I just did a quick google search and apparently you cant change the infill setting in the Cube slicing software...

greghoge.com

February 17, 2014 06:19PM
Great???? Well any one have an Idea of how I might make this type of design, It must be simple?

Thanks,

Alan
February 17, 2014 06:50PM
I have never used Cubify, but have played with Alibre which is I believe what is based on, and I use Rhino3D and SolidWorks. They all work similarly. There should be an extruded cut function. You sketch on the surface the hole shape and it cuts it out of the solid object. There also is probably a multiple copy or grid function that will let you make lots of copies equally spaced for the rest of the holes. Hope that helps.
February 18, 2014 08:03AM
Any Idea where I could find someone I could PAY to make this simple file for me?

Thanks!

Alan
February 18, 2014 08:47AM
ajmartin
Any Idea where I could find someone I could PAY to make this simple file for me?

I use Cubify Design so I don't know how that compares to Invent but it looks like you'd create two parts. The first part would be the outer edge of the ellipse. The second part would be the internal mesh. You can use Linear Pattern'd rectangles to create the internal mesh. Then you'd use a Boolean Unite to join the two parts and make them one.

edit: Well, you'd need 3 parts, one for the vertical beams of the "net" and one for the horizontal and one for the outer ring. Then Unite all those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 08:56AM by TedMilker.
February 18, 2014 09:54AM
ajmartin

Thanks!

Alan

PM me. I might be able to help you out.

greghoge.com

February 20, 2014 09:44AM
Thanks every one for the ideas, and thanks GMH39 for the great example! We finally got it done in Solidworks using a honey cone pattern instead of squares and that ended up printing very nicly on the Cube.

Thanks

Alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login