Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temp. Sensor and Heater

Posted by ayouden 
Temp. Sensor and Heater
February 18, 2014 07:38AM
Hello,

For a small project I need something to be heated, yet held at a constant temp.

My initial Idea was using a 3D Printer board like a sanguinololu. However, I don't need any drivers or end-stop switches. Just 1 Extruder slot and 1 Thermistor slot.

I would buy a fully un populated sanguinololu board and build it up but not include all of the things I don't need, but I noticed there was a surface mount component. Now with my soldering skill I can't solder a surface mount component.

Does anyone know of a really cheap and simple Arduino set up or 3D printer board for this type of thing?

Thanks

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
Re: Temp. Sensor and Heater
February 18, 2014 09:24AM
you dont need anything fancy. Just a mosfet and an arduino. thermistors can connect directly to an arduino and the mosfet can too. but a few resistors are always good.
February 18, 2014 10:03AM
Check out this for an example of a MOSFET circuit. The thermistor temperature sensor is just an analog input into the arduino. Just google the terms and you should be able to easily find some resources. Also, you might want to check out the "Arduino Cookbook". It has a lot of examples, complete with sample code, for how to do things with an arduino
February 18, 2014 10:06AM
lazzymonk
you dont need anything fancy. Just a mosfet and an arduino. thermistors can connect directly to an arduino and the mosfet can too. but a few resistors are always good.
Even using an arduino makes it fancier then it needs to be. I guess it all depends on the specifics of the circuit. How precise "held at a constant temperature" needs to be? What temperature is being monitored? Does it need to be variable/adjusted? A simple thermostat switch and relay (other than the power source, heater, wire, etc) may be all that's needed.
February 18, 2014 10:35AM
cdru your following me around lol.

Another alternative is something like this [www.ebay.co.uk]
February 18, 2014 11:04AM
lazzymonk
cdru your following me around lol.

Another alternative is something like this [www.ebay.co.uk]

That looks chepaer and more effective than any Arduino board, so I am guessing that I just wire in my heater. Would this work with [www.ebay.co.uk] ??

Thanks

(NB: I would get heating to around 200*C)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 11:14AM by ayouden.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login