Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Code question

Posted by regpye 
Code question
February 18, 2014 09:38PM
I would like to add a piece of code to my slicing software (beginning code) and I am not sure how to do it properly.
What I want to do is add a line to print before the actual print starts. I want to do this so that the nozzle is fully primed before starting.
I can get the position right and extrude some filament, but the filament comes out in one go and then the line is drawn without the extruder pushing out more filament.
So what I need to know is how to draw a line, say 100mm long and deposit some filament down while it is drawing the line. I want to add this code to all files before they start the actual print, so I would need to add it at the beginning code section.

Anyone know how this is done?

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Code question
February 18, 2014 11:58PM
You could just add the gcode for this in the slicing program,depending on which slicer you are using. Slic3r has the option.
Edit: maybe i miss understood.. was my suggestion what you were asking how to do it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 12:02AM by cat.farmer.
February 19, 2014 12:08AM
Yes I am aware of that, but what to add is the thing.
I have auto bed leveling and the nozzle always starts at the front right hand side.
I can take the nozzle down to the bed no problem, and then move the nozzle 100mm to the left before it starts to do the print.
I would like it to extrude some filament on the way. I tried to send some filament out just before the 100mm move, however the filament comes out and then the nozzle moves.
What is happening at present with the prints is that the first few centimeters sometimes don't have any filament extruding when starting to print. If doing a perimeter around a print that is not so much of a problem, but if doing a raft it can mess up the raft where the perimeter is missing.

[regpye.com.au]
February 19, 2014 01:27AM
The easy way to prime the extruder is to use the skirt option under skirt and brims. Set it for one layer. Usually, one loop is enough, but you can increase the number of loops if you need.
February 19, 2014 06:26AM
Yes the skirt or brim option can work well with normal printing, but when using raft (Cura) it only allows a single perimeter loop around the print and if a part of that perimeter is missed it can cause the raft to lift where the perimeter is missing. That is why I want to run a line before starting the print.
Many small items that are being printed together I like to put on a raft so that they don't come loose and then I loose the lot.

[regpye.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login