Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to buy an aluminium plate for heate bed

Posted by smartroad 
Where to buy an aluminium plate for heate bed
February 19, 2014 06:02AM
I have been having issues getting a decent aluminium plate for my machine. I can find people and compaines selling the things, but they are rarely flat. Does anyone know where I can buy a perfectly flat plate in the UK?
Re: Where to buy an aluminium plate for heate bed
February 19, 2014 07:07AM
Perfectly flat == machined == expensive

this is why most of us print on glass, its very flat and very cheap.
February 19, 2014 09:03AM
I use [www.ebay.co.uk] cheap and flat enough for me. Aluminium is better than glass i think because you can run it under a tap straight from printing without it breaking.
February 19, 2014 10:35AM
lazzymonk
Aluminium is better than glass i think because you can run it under a tap straight from printing without it breaking.
It probably won't remain flat for long if you do that often.
February 19, 2014 11:03AM
lazzymonk
I use [www.ebay.co.uk] cheap and flat enough for me. Aluminium is better than glass i think because you can run it under a tap straight from printing without it breaking.

I stick mirror in the freezer after printing...
A2
February 19, 2014 11:20AM
smartroad
where I can buy a perfectly flat plate

Buy ALCOA'x MIC 6, and have it ground flat.
[www.ebay.com]

ALCOA, MIC 6® Aluminum Cast Plate

Using proper aluminum machining methods, tolerances in the thousandths can be consistently maintained. MIC 6® Aluminum Cast Plate is finished to 20 microinches typical on both sides. Thickness tolerances is within +/-.005" from nominal on 1/4"- 4".

Flatness tolerance is maintained within .015" on 1/4"-5/8" thickness and .005" on 3/4"- 4" thickness. Thermal Cycling can be performed up to 800° F under controlled conditions.
[www.alcoa.com]
February 19, 2014 12:19PM
I tried ebay, and just got bent sheets. YMMV, but seems pot luck to me.

I now use 5mm Ecocast from [www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk]. It's precision machined and dead flat, and costs about £15 for a 300mm square plate cut to size, shipping is a little pricy but very good service.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
February 19, 2014 12:54PM
@ cdru i do it with every print and i have been using the same plate for over a year now.

nice find bobc ive used them before but never noticed they did them. I might get one soon and compare to the cheap plate i currently use ( its a bit banged up from trying to remove overly stuck prints, but still flat).
February 20, 2014 08:32AM
Thanks all for the replies smiling smiley

bobc
I tried ebay, and just got bent sheets. YMMV, but seems pot luck to me.

I now use 5mm Ecocast from [www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk]. It's precision machined and dead flat, and costs about £15 for a 300mm square plate cut to size, shipping is a little pricy but very good service.

I may go with that one. Using their quote suggested about £7 for a 200mm sized one (not counting shipping etc). First I will try without and just go glass bed.

Again thanks for all the replies, most helpful grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login