Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bulldog Lite Extruder Replacement fan?

Posted by 3DogNate 
Bulldog Lite Extruder Replacement fan?
February 21, 2014 01:26PM
I have a RRD Bulldog Lite Extruder, I really like my extruder... but the fan ceased functioning. I need a replacement fan... For two weeks I've attempted to contact RRD through their ticket system and through their forum and through PM in this forum.... No luck... so I have to take to to the masses and see if anyone knows of a replacement fan that is available to replace the low profile blower fan that is used in the Bulldog extruders?

I do have open requests from RRD so I'll not start shooting my mouth off... when I orderd they shipped promptly and was reiculously well packed and the product was very high quality... I'd like to give them the opportunity for quality service after the sale. But my patience is wearing thin.

So if you know of a compatible blower fan, please let me know were to find one.

Thanks in advance,
Nate
Re: Bulldog Lite Extruder Replacement fan?
February 21, 2014 01:34PM
3DogNate
I have a RRD Bulldog Lite Extruder, I really like my extruder... but the fan ceased functioning. I need a replacement fan... For two weeks I've attempted to contact RRD through their ticket system and through their forum and through PM in this forum.... No luck... so I have to take to to the masses and see if anyone knows of a replacement fan that is available to replace the low profile blower fan that is used in the Bulldog extruders?

I do have open requests from RRD so I'll not start shooting my mouth off... when I orderd they shipped promptly and was reiculously well packed and the product was very high quality... I'd like to give them the opportunity for quality service after the sale. But my patience is wearing thin.

So if you know of a compatible blower fan, please let me know were to find one.

Thanks in advance,
Nate

Can't you find a number on the fan? You can also try to track down BubbleRep on IRC, not happy with RRD or him to be honest for other reasons.
February 21, 2014 01:54PM
No markings on the fan at all... even pulled it apart... PCB markings are useless.

I've not used IRC since like 1995... just not my world any longer... seems archaic, I'll look into it though if that's my only hope...

3D printer parts supply chain needs to step up the QC/Documentation/Support after the sale... in general. A few are doing respectable in those areaa and are enjoying some success... others not so much...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 01:58PM by 3DogNate.
February 21, 2014 02:20PM
What are the dimensions of the fan? It looks like it's about the size of the stepper motor, and presuming that it's a NEMA 17 stepper, that makes it either 40, 45, or maybe 50mm square. There are a variety of fans here (or Newark or Farnell or Mouser or...) that would fit those sizes. The question then is the depth.
February 21, 2014 02:35PM
cdru
What are the dimensions of the fan? It looks like it's about the size of the stepper motor, and presuming that it's a NEMA 17 stepper, that makes it either 40, 45, or maybe 50mm square. There are a variety of fans here (or Newark or Farnell or Mouser or...) that would fit those sizes. The question then is the depth.

I'll measure when I get home... Yeah, it's probably in the 45x45x7mm range... could be 40 or 50... I didn't even think about Digi-Key... thanks... Mouser might have something also.. I'll check there too... I need to placea Mouser order for other stuff anyway.
February 21, 2014 03:34PM
3DogNate
No markings on the fan at all... even pulled it apart... PCB markings are useless.

I've not used IRC since like 1995... just not my world any longer... seems archaic, I'll look into it though if that's my only hope...

3D printer parts supply chain needs to step up the QC/Documentation/Support after the sale... in general. A few are doing respectable in those areaa and are enjoying some success... others not so much...

Well that's why I am not happy with them...promised drawings of the Bulldog Extruder, now mid-February and still no drawings but they have the nerve to get on my case because I reverse engineered the "opensource" extruder and put it on Thingiverse. Grow up RRD.
February 22, 2014 11:59AM
It's a 45mmx45mmx10mm blower...

I found these that might work

[www.digikey.com]
[www.mouser.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 12:07PM by 3DogNate.
February 25, 2014 11:07AM
I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge that BubbleRep (RepRapDiscount) did in fact get back to me and produced a replacement fan (and base) for me in a prompt fashion.. in fact I just recieved it today.smileys with beer

Good job pulling through.
May 10, 2014 08:21AM
I fried my Bulldog fan by connecting it the wrong way round (despite reading that it needed to be connected red +ve etc durrr)

I looked at the suggested replacements above and they look promising, however, RRD sell the replacement fan unit. The prices for the proposed substitutes are very similar to RRD, and the Mouser shipping cost is very similar to RRDs. I went with the RRD unit, and have it delivered from HK and fitted in UK in less than a week from zapping it. The shipping cost is off-putting (FedEx) but it is quick and, as I say, barely any different from the Mouser price.

It may be worthwhile looking at how to adapt a PCI slot blower into the system, however, I think RRD have done a neat design job, and that's the trade-off. By the way, the replacement fan comes complete with the mounting sled.
July 14, 2015 04:19AM
Just as an update. I found the exact fan at 2 locations. Aliexpress has it (free shipping to the US) $8.68 AB4512HX-GD7
and here (2 fans for 1 price. $3.50 shipping to the US) 12.99 for the actual Bulldog fan and a E3D fan. http://www.mini-kossel.com/
July 14, 2015 12:46PM
chrisbob12
I fried my Bulldog fan by connecting it the wrong way round (despite reading that it needed to be connected red +ve etc durrr)

I looked at the suggested replacements above and they look promising, however, RRD sell the replacement fan unit. The prices for the proposed substitutes are very similar to RRD, and the Mouser shipping cost is very similar to RRDs. I went with the RRD unit, and have it delivered from HK and fitted in UK in less than a week from zapping it. The shipping cost is off-putting (FedEx) but it is quick and, as I say, barely any different from the Mouser price.

It may be worthwhile looking at how to adapt a PCI slot blower into the system, however, I think RRD have done a neat design job, and that's the trade-off. By the way, the replacement fan comes complete with the mounting sled.

If you in the uk, hit up Ryan of OOZNEST on facebook as he sells bulldogs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login