Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Build Advice?

Posted by Razer0901 
First Build Advice?
February 21, 2014 01:36PM
Hello everyone,

I know you guys have probably answered this question many times but I want to get a more up to date answer. What is the first printer a new repraper should build? And should one even build one?

I've been browsing around and did a lot of research on my first printer build. I've pretty much settled on the Mendel90 and buying the whole kit from Nophead. I was going to source my own parts but after seeing a 499 Euro price tag (with 60 euro shipping to USA [559 euros=766.67 USD at the moment]) I figured it was easier to just buy my parts from him.

I want to ask if I should make a Mendel90, or are there other printers under $800s (could be commercial) that are better? Also is it hard to put a Mendel90 together? Anything I absolutely need to watch out for? I am planning on working on it after school ends. So printers that aren't released now but will be then could also be possibilities. Like maybe the Buccaneer 3d printer, or the PeachyPrinter for commercial printers.

If recommending a printer better than the Mendel90 (in this $800 price range) it would be helpful if you could tell me some specs. Maybe in this format? Add more data if you feel it is important since that is all the specs I know so far.

Name:
Print Material:
Speed:
Source:
Resolution
Strengths:
Weaknesses:

-Razer0901

P.S. This is my first post so please bear with me. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

@Nophead Could there be a Mendel90 v2 in the works? cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 03:37PM by Razer0901.
Re: First Build Advice?
February 21, 2014 07:14PM
For conventional reprap machines that are easy to build, the Mendel 90 and Prusa V3 are probably the current choices. Both should be easy to build compared to the older models. It looks to me like Mendel 90 is likely a bit quicker build and possibly stiffer in some dimensions than Prusa V3 unless you use the braces that show up on some variants of Prusa V3.

If you want easy upgrade to three extruders of course there is the RepRap Pro mendel. It's probably a bit longer to put together.

MendelMax is another contender, easy build and very stiff frame, but likely a bit more expensive.

Then of course you could get into delta, folding, etc. etc. etc.

Bryan
Re: First Build Advice?
February 21, 2014 10:24PM
Thanks for the reply! Would the Mendel90 get outdated in the next 8 months? Seems to be a older printer but still getting good reviews. Also the mendel90 doesn't seem too have many upgrade options is that so?

Sorry for all the questions!

-Razer0901
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login