Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the best type of 3d printer?

Posted by landsharkxx 
What is the best type of 3d printer?
March 05, 2014 11:06PM
I want to get started with 3d printing and Im not sure what type of 3d printer I should build. I only want to spend $350 on it. I was thinking maybe I can build either a SLA printer (the one with a laser and resin) or a filament printer. Which one would be the best one to build?
Re: What is the best type of 3d printer?
March 05, 2014 11:10PM
If you only have $350 to spend you do not get to make choices. You will only be able to build/buy the cheapest of the cheap FFF printers like a printrbot simple or similar. For a Resin printer be sure to add a zero to the end of your budget.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 05, 2014 11:25PM
Im talking about building my own not buying a kit. Im thinking either making a reprap or designing my own.

EDIT: budget is now up to $450

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 11:31PM by landsharkxx.
March 05, 2014 11:38PM
You will have a very hard time building your own RepRap for $350. Not that it can't be done, but very few people have successfully sourced and built one for that much. The Printrbot Simple kit sells for $350, and they have the advantage of large quantity ordering. Even that is a bare minimum printer, using a wood frame, string-driven axes, and no heated bed. Sourcing all the components yourself for a Printrbot Simple would add up to more than $350.

If $350 is really your hard limit on spending, your best bet may be to get a Printrbot Simple. Just don't expect a lot out of it, and don't expect to print anything other than PLA.

Edit: I see your budget it up to $450. That is a bit more reasonable. With careful sourcing you may be able to build a Prusa i3 or other printer for that much. Don't expect to be able to make a resin printer though, that would require a significant jump in budget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 11:47PM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 06, 2014 12:37AM
building your own and designing your own are 2 completely different things. If you are and engineer and intend to design you will probably be fine. If not, prepare yourself for many challenges
March 06, 2014 06:11AM
This is the cheapest I've seen. I haven't bought anything from them myself - perhaps someone here has?
[www.rp3d.com]
March 06, 2014 06:45AM
With misumi's First150 promotion, I'm willing to bet you can source a mendelmax or extrusion based i3 and come in under budget.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
March 06, 2014 07:45AM
Could I make a reprap delta printer from this price point($450)
March 06, 2014 08:26AM
yes definitely. Order extrusion form Misumi using the discount code, hardware from mrmetric.com, printed parts from either ebay or here, hotend from hotends.com, and components from robotdigg.com. That should just about cover everything you need.

greghoge.com

March 06, 2014 09:20AM
So what exactly am I looking at on misumi? I looked on their site can't find what you are talking about
March 06, 2014 09:47AM
Ralph.Hilton
This is the cheapest I've seen. I haven't bought anything from them myself - perhaps someone here has?
[www.rp3d.com]

Just today unpacked and started assembly.
The kit is really complete, includes all assembly and maintenance tools.
First impression - excellent!
March 06, 2014 10:00AM
landsharkxx
Im talking about building my own not buying a kit. Im thinking either making a reprap or designing my own.

EDIT: budget is now up to $450

Uh, good luck then.
Start clicking web shops of electronics and motors, then just before 'confirm' check delivery prices.
Same with rods, teflon tubes and whatever else you can't simply buy in hardware store round the corner.

Kits turned out to be the cheapest option.
March 06, 2014 10:08AM
landsharkxx
Could I make a reprap delta printer from this price point($450)

But you can also buy a kit for that price IIRC.
Oh, maybe not, it's sold outsmiling smiley
http://bootsindustries.com/shop/rostock-kit/
March 06, 2014 10:27AM
Which kit is the best for this price point? I was thinking the Printrbot simple v2 or just do the reprap Kossel mini
March 06, 2014 10:34AM
Here's a link to the reddit thread:

[www.reddit.com]

There is a BOM at in the first post that has the Kossel parts you can get form Misumi. All you have to pay is shipping. Don't forget to add the discount code!

Edit - I would suggest just buying the extrusion from Misumi. Everything else is WAY over priced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 10:34AM by gmh39.

greghoge.com

March 06, 2014 10:37AM
landsharkxx
Which kit is the best for this price point? I was thinking the Printrbot simple v2 or just do the reprap Kossel mini

The Simple is good. Plus I know there are some guys on the Printrbot forum that have expanded the build volume of their simples. I personally run a Printrbot JR. It's a nice little printer. Does what I tell it to.

What do you want to print? Do you have requirements for size, speed, resolution, etc?

greghoge.com

March 06, 2014 12:29PM
I want to print aviation model, iPhone cases, and reprap parts. I want to try and make money from 3d printing so that I Atleast get a roi(return on investment) where I break even.
March 07, 2014 04:33AM
landsharkxx
I want to print aviation model, iPhone cases, and reprap parts. I want to try and make money from 3d printing so that I Atleast get a roi(return on investment) where I break even.
Your jumping to different ends of the spectrum there.
RepRap parts don't need anywhere near the resolution of an aviation model and an iPhone case you'd want to have smooth edges and surfaces.

Personally I would avoid looking into 3d printers as a way to get rich quick. A set of prusa i3 printed parts can take 24hours+ to print (more if you include the extruder parts) and sell for ~$35 shipped. After filament, electricity and shipping costs along with selling fees (eBay, PayPal, tax etc) your not left with much margin.

The amazing looking prints (on RepRaps/custom printers) you've probably seen floating around are by people who have spend weeks if not months tinkering and tweaking to get the best possible setup.
Don't get me wrong you can build and setup a printer and get good results pretty quickly, but for great ones it requires a fair bit of effort and investment (both time and money) and for the amazing ones (like these prints) well most don't ever get to that stage as they are happy with great prints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 04:34AM by JoeDaStudd.
March 09, 2014 05:12PM
Extrusion, definitely the extrusion from Misumi. But I may be biased.. (And maybe the vitamins..) Sorry to hear we are overpriced on other stuff, but GMH39 knows what he is talking about. smiling smiley We have lots of other stuff too, but if you're looking to keep costs down, use a supplier that specializes in each component.

gmh39
Here's a link to the reddit thread:

[www.reddit.com]

There is a BOM at in the first post that has the Kossel parts you can get form Misumi. All you have to pay is shipping. Don't forget to add the discount code!

Edit - I would suggest just buying the extrusion from Misumi. Everything else is WAY over priced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 05:13PM by Misumi_Carey.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login