Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

These forums are very slow

Posted by nop head 
These forums are very slow
March 01, 2007 01:44PM
Fantastic project and web site, my only complaint is that I find these forums are very slow to access. I am in the UK with broadband. It typically takes 10 to 20 seconds to show a message. This is particulary a problem with the developers forum because messages are shown individually, rather than a whole thread at a time.

Do other people have the same experience?

Displaying the developers forum in the same way as the others would be a big help.

I don't wish to be a whinger but the more time I spend keeping up with the forums and blogs, the less time I have to build by RepStrap :-)
Re: These forums are very slow
March 01, 2007 01:49PM
i've noticed its a bit slow too... i'll send a message to simon and see what kind of hardware its on. i have a nice server we could probably run it from if thats turns out to be the problem.
sai
March 01, 2007 02:28PM
Yes, it was running very slow. Another process that had quite loose resource constraints was starting to run away and consume all available memory and swap space which was slowing things down. It isn't normally that slow.

Let me know if it's still slow for you. It's fairly zippy for me right now.
March 01, 2007 02:37PM
Yes its much better now, thanks.
sai
March 01, 2007 02:55PM
Normally I get paged about such things, but it didn't get quite bad enough. Maybe the threshold should be changed a touch... Thanks for pointing it out though.
March 01, 2007 03:05PM
Any chance you could make the developer's forum show a whole thread or is there a reason why it is different.
sai
March 01, 2007 04:11PM
You can actually control this behaviour yourself. If you go to the Control Center (from the main forums list) and go to the "Forum Settings", you can override the settings so that all of the forums appear the way you prefer.

The options to change are two Thread Override options.
March 01, 2007 05:52PM
All sorted, thanks Simon.
March 01, 2007 05:54PM
yeah, its quite speedy now. good stuff =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login