Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Axis troubles

Posted by kfootball15 
Z Axis troubles
March 08, 2014 02:38PM
I am having a problem with my Z axis.

Everything else on my printer works perfectly fine except for my Z-axis, which makes a loud grinding noise whenever I try to move it up or down.

I've tried re-soldering the connection to the plugs a million times to no success. I've even tried plugging it into the slot on the electronics right above it (not sure what its for) and I had the same results; a loud grinding noise.

I've gotten the Z-motors to sort of freak out, which is progress I guess. They move the slightest bit but still grinding noise and the movement is erratic.

It has to be the connections right? I've just tried resoldering them over and over with the same results

Thanks,
Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 03:29PM by kfootball15.
Re: Z Axis troubles
March 08, 2014 02:51PM
kfootball15
I am having a problem with my Z axis.

Everything else on my printer works perfectly fine except for my Z-axis, which makes a loud grinding noise whenever I try to move it up or down.

I've tried re-soldering the connection to the plugs a million times to no success. I've even tried plugging it into the slot on the electronics right above it (not sure what its for) and I had the same results; a loud grinding noise.

Any idea how I could trouble shoot this problem? Is there a to test and see if the electronics may be broken?

Thanks,
Jeff

I think I can safely rule out the ramps being faulty. Tested it out on my other printer and its the same problem
March 08, 2014 06:55PM
This one is really bugging me guys. I've used a multimeter to check that the wire is conducting all the way through and it is, but I still get the same loud grinding noise and a very stunted spin from the z-axis motors.

Any ideas? I cannot figure this one out!
March 08, 2014 07:28PM
kfootball15

Thanks,
Jeff

Where exactly do you mean by the above?
Have you not got each motor plugged into its own Z receptacle?

March 08, 2014 07:40PM
Which printer design are you running?

Can you disconnect you Z screws from your motors? Disconnected: Same sound without any load on motor?

Is the grinding coming from your motors, or the all-thread/nut?
March 08, 2014 07:49PM
Disconnect the coupler on the motors then hook one up to the y axis on your ramps to test it out, then test the other. If possible use the wiring from the y axis as well if it has a plug. If it works, then try the z axis motors wire. That'll let you know if it's the motor or wire.

Also have you adjusted the trim pot on the driver board? My z axis likes being at .4 volts.
March 08, 2014 07:59PM
waitaki
kfootball15

Thanks,
Jeff

Where exactly do you mean by the above?
Have you not got each motor plugged into its own Z receptacle?

I do not. The tutorial I followed had me solder the wires together and plug them into the same Z receptacle. This was working great for a while and is currently working on my other printer, so that cannot be the issue.
March 15, 2015 10:22PM
Hey, what kind of board are you using for your control? I have been fighting my motors for a few days, and just got them working. what kind of motor drivers are you using? My situation: I bought a Sanguinololu from amazon (would go with ramps next time, but i have it now, so it's what i'm gonna use) and there are 2 places for z axis motor plug in, one in-line with the other 3, and one vertically... I ended up on the pololu driver site, and noticed a chart that detailed the state of the MS1, MS2, MS3 pins. using a voltmeter, I checked and noticed that the pins were all logic low, and that meant that they would be only full steps. I changed the firmware per [www.prusaprinters.org] and they are now moving consistently. The issue now is that they are really freaking loud. It may not be a problem, but I am still in search.

-Andy
April 08, 2015 01:27PM
What kind of printer??
April 08, 2015 02:18PM
Your acceleration and feed rate is probably too high
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login