Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thingiverse Publishing Problems?

Posted by JohnSL 
Thingiverse Publishing Problems?
March 09, 2014 12:15AM
I'm having problems publishing a new thing on Thingiverse, and I'm wondering if anyone else is running into the same issues. What happens is that I attach some STL files, fill in all the required fields, and then click Publish. After a short while it comes back and says I need to publish the thing before anyone else can see it. When I click Edit, none of my STL files are included anymore (but the images are included). I'm using a Windows 7 computer, and I've tried using FireFox and Chrome (IE never seems to work). Is anyone else noticing this? Or have ideas on how to get around the problem?

Thanks,
-- John
Re: Thingiverse Publishing Problems?
March 10, 2014 08:42PM
Don't use thingiverse.

youmagine.com

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
March 10, 2014 08:48PM
It happens from time to time. Best thing to do is wait a day and try again. If it still does not work then double check that everything is correct.
March 11, 2014 04:26AM
akhlut
Don't use thingiverse.

youmagine.com

Why?

March 11, 2014 08:41AM
waitaki
akhlut
Don't use thingiverse.

youmagine.com

Why?

I'm guessing he/she is one of the "DEATH TO THINGIVERSE" crowd that all went nuts when they claimed to change the TOS and now are sticking it to the man (Makerbot/Stratasys) by not using it.

All I can say is, good luck with that. None of the other repositories have any amount of following and as you'll see, everyone here recommends a different one.
March 11, 2014 12:05PM
I have had intermittent trouble with Thingiverse in that the menu options at the top of the screen aren't displaying meaning I can't "create" anything. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.
March 11, 2014 02:16PM
Had the same problems.

remove any spaces in the filename (for source files / STL / photos).

that's the way i got it to work :-)
March 12, 2014 12:34AM
tjb1
I'm guessing he/she is one of the "DEATH TO THINGIVERSE" crowd that all went nuts when they claimed to change the TOS and now are sticking it to the man (Makerbot/Stratasys) by not using it.

All I can say is, good luck with that. None of the other repositories have any amount of following and as you'll see, everyone here recommends a different one.

Pretty much. They never fully explained their ToS and gave the old "just trust us, we're the good guys".

3.2 is the same as ever.

"You agree to irrevocably waive (and cause to be waived) any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to your User Content." D:

Basically they own whatever you upload.

And as far as the other repositories go they're having a tough time as thingiverse was the first mover in the space and as such has a huge advantage. It's tough to get traction when movies like 'print the legend' that equate 3D printing with makerbots and thingiverse, and ignore the wellspring from which those machines were derived (reprap).

So we should all use thingiverse because it's a near monopoly? Eventually stratasys, makerbot and thingiverse will turn against reprap and won't you be glad you supported them?

From Makezine:
PT: Are you planning on suing individually hobbyists who are making 3D printers at home?
BRE: I legally can’t make forward-looking statements on behalf of MakerBot or Stratasys. I can say that we are regularly inspired by the innovation created by individual hobbyists. At MakerBot, we often try to hire and collaborate with clever and smart people.

How long will it be before stratasys/makerbot put thingiverse behind a paywall? How long will it be before you have to pay to simply search thingiverse? Of course there will be anti-competitive policies put in place for designers to upload exclusive content as a quid pro quo for 'free' access to the site. I could go on, but I won't.

Suffice it to say, that thingiverse is not a charity. It's there to support makerbots and hoover up as much CAD content as possible. The worst part of this whole thing is that more than likely no one will see what you upload, unless it's an octopus with a cats head or some other innane object. So go ahead, upload to thingiverse so the hipsters with makerbots can ignore your content while they print out mustaches for their pets or some other stupid s***.

- akhlut

March 12, 2014 08:08AM
akhlut
tjb1

Pretty much. They never fully explained their ToS and gave the old "just trust us, we're the good guys".

3.2 is the same as ever.

"You agree to irrevocably waive (and cause to be waived) any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to your User Content." D:

Basically they own whatever you upload.

And as far as the other repositories go they're having a tough time as thingiverse was the first mover in the space and as such has a huge advantage. It's tough to get traction when movies like 'print the legend' that equate 3D printing with makerbots and thingiverse, and ignore the wellspring from which those machines were derived (reprap).

So we should all use thingiverse because it's a near monopoly? Eventually stratasys, makerbot and thingiverse will turn against reprap and won't you be glad you supported them?

From Makezine:
PT: Are you planning on suing individually hobbyists who are making 3D printers at home?
BRE: I legally can’t make forward-looking statements on behalf of MakerBot or Stratasys. I can say that we are regularly inspired by the innovation created by individual hobbyists. At MakerBot, we often try to hire and collaborate with clever and smart people.

How long will it be before stratasys/makerbot put thingiverse behind a paywall? How long will it be before you have to pay to simply search thingiverse? Of course there will be anti-competitive policies put in place for designers to upload exclusive content as a quid pro quo for 'free' access to the site. I could go on, but I won't.

Suffice it to say, that thingiverse is not a charity. It's there to support makerbots and hoover up as much CAD content as possible. The worst part of this whole thing is that more than likely no one will see what you upload, unless it's an octopus with a cats head or some other innane object. So go ahead, upload to thingiverse so the hipsters with makerbots can ignore your content while they print out mustaches for their pets or some other stupid s***.

I will and you can continue to upload to the 30 other fragmented websites that each have a little piece of the puzzle that is Thingiverse but yet none of them have everything that Thingiverse has. I get so tired of this argument, if you upload something to the internet, you should expect your design to be used in one way or another. Whether someone uses it directly or as inspiration for something else. Then we get to where everyone wants an alternative but no one will make one that has the current feature set of Thingiverse.

Who cares if they own it? Were you going to take it and make it profitable? If it's for your thing, be it printer or whatever, host it on your own website and maybe you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not like it matters anyway, you aren't going to win a legal battle against Makerbot/Stratasys even if they grab the model from your website or another repository, they will bleed you dry if you try.

Don't want your design taken, don't upload the damn thing.
March 12, 2014 09:49AM
I was just trying to clarify as to why someone might not want to use thingiverse.

I didn't say anything about fair use by individuals of uploaded content. That's pretty much the point, isn't it? So that you can share things with others so that they can use them and change/improve them? But attribution is pretty important in such a transaction, isn't it? It's the least someone can do for free content.

So it's OK to steal? That's a new one. In the sharing economy that surrounds 3D printing name and reputation are everything. Everyone here knows nophead, richrap, VDX, sublime and many other high-level contributors. Would it be OK for someone to sell an identical copy of a Mendel90 or a 3DR and not acknowledge the creators? Is this what you're advocating? That it's not a big deal? I think it's a HUGE problem. I don't care if they commercialize something that I design. Isn't that the nature of open source? If someone chooses to adopt a design and improve then commercialize it, great. But they don't own the idea, and have to at least acknowledge somewhere along the line where the roots of whatever they're selling came from.

All I'm saying that as a group we're better off not using thingiverse. Maybe as a group we should engender some competition in this space, unless you think that competition is a bad idea.

- akhlut

March 12, 2014 10:03AM
akhlut
I was just trying to clarify as to why someone might not want to use thingiverse.

I didn't say anything about fair use by individuals of uploaded content. That's pretty much the point, isn't it? So that you can share things with others so that they can use them and change/improve them? But attribution is pretty important in such a transaction, isn't it? It's the least someone can do for free content.

So it's OK to steal? That's a new one. In the sharing economy that surrounds 3D printing name and reputation are everything. Everyone here knows nophead, richrap, VDX, sublime and many other high-level contributors. Would it be OK for someone to sell an identical copy of a Mendel90 or a 3DR and not acknowledge the creators? Is this what you're advocating? That it's not a big deal? I think it's a HUGE problem. I don't care if they commercialize something that I design. Isn't that the nature of open source? If someone chooses to adopt a design and improve then commercialize it, great. But they don't own the idea, and have to at least acknowledge somewhere along the line where the roots of whatever they're selling came from.

All I'm saying that as a group we're better off not using thingiverse. Maybe as a group we should engender some competition in this space, unless you think that competition is a bad idea.

Never said stealing was ok but it will happen regardless of where the file is put. You seem to think just because a file is put on some magical website not tied to Makerbot that others aren't going to take your design. You realize that RepRap is not just a US thing? And countries like China could give 2 squats about US copyright, patents, trademarks, etc.

You keep living in your fantasy world where you think it wont get taken if it isn't on Thingiverse.
March 12, 2014 10:18AM
First point:
akhlut
Would it be OK for someone to sell an identical copy of a Mendel90 or a 3DR and not acknowledge the creators?
People do this all the time, and as far as I know, nophead and richrap are fine with it. A while ago some company put a clone of a Rostock up on Kickstarter, and everyone was up in arms that they were ripping off Johann. Until Johann said he was fine with it.

Second point: It can be really hard to give credit to everyone that contributed to a design. Just take a look at this family tree for the famous heart gears object(s) on Thingiverse. Are you saying that every time someone derives something, you have to credit everyone up the tree? (side note: using some kind of thingtracker or bitcoin-like-blockchain you might actually be able to do this...)

Third Point: Thingiverse is actually very good at allowing authors to credit people they derive their work from, with the "remix" tags and so on. If you look at a thing that has been derived from something else, they have icons right there you can click on that take you to the earlier work. In contrast, many of the 30 other fragmented websites do not do anything like this, and some of the content on those sites is simply ripped off from Thingiverse anyway and they don't even credit the primary author of the work!
March 12, 2014 11:09AM
Did you read any of what I wrote? I know that reading is hard, but the concepts expressed in sentences are sometimes worthwhile.

Actually, you kinda did say it was OK to steal.

"Who cares if they own it?"

Maybe the creator of the content cares.

I'm not saying that objects that you upload won't be taken and used by others - of course they will. That is the point of sharing them. Wholesale appropriation isn't cool though. You acknowledge this yourself.

Should we even bother with choosing a license when a file is published on one of these sites? You imply that doing so is pointless.

Dizingof doesn't think so.

You keep living in your fantasy world where you think it wont get taken if it isn't on Thingiverse.

Where did I say or imply this? I'm not going to sit here and defend each and every CAD hosting site out there. What I am going to say is to choose one that best protects your interests. For me and others, thingiverse is not that site.

- akhlut

March 12, 2014 11:38AM
Matt,
this isn't about the structure of thingiverse.

It's a fantastic website that I would like to use. I used it in the past and would use it in the future. Right now I just can't until they change that last line in 3.2 to something acceptable.

If richrap, Johann and nophead are cool with people taking their designs and commercializing them without attribution I cannot argue with that. I imagine those folks have enough on their plates as it is. And as tool builders perhaps they're happy to see their machines taken up by and built/sold by others - it's one thing to complement a machine and another to believe in something so much as to put your money where your mouth is and invest in it. Generally free riders suck, but in open source they seem to be necessary to disseminate the genetics of popular machines.

As far as crediting previous works I think the current system works just fine so long as derivatives provide proper attribution to their direct progenitor. Ethically this is the right thing to do. Some other websites are lacking in this department as you point out.

MattMoses
First point:
People do this all the time, and as far as I know, nophead and richrap are fine with it. A while ago some company put a clone of a Rostock up on Kickstarter, and everyone was up in arms that they were ripping off Johann. Until Johann said he was fine with it.

Second point: It can be really hard to give credit to everyone that contributed to a design. Just take a look at this family tree for the famous heart gears object(s) on Thingiverse. Are you saying that every time someone derives something, you have to credit everyone up the tree? (side note: using some kind of thingtracker or bitcoin-like-blockchain you might actually be able to do this...)

Third Point: Thingiverse is actually very good at allowing authors to credit people they derive their work from, with the "remix" tags and so on. If you look at a thing that has been derived from something else, they have icons right there you can click on that take you to the earlier work. In contrast, many of the 30 other fragmented websites do not do anything like this, and some of the content on those sites is simply ripped off from Thingiverse anyway and they don't even credit the primary author of the work!

- akhlut

March 12, 2014 11:48AM
akhlut
Did you read any of what I wrote? I know that reading is hard, but the concepts expressed in sentences are sometimes worthwhile.

Actually, you kinda did say it was OK to steal.

"Who cares if they own it?"

Maybe the creator of the content cares.

I'm not saying that objects that you upload won't be taken and used by others - of course they will. That is the point of sharing them. Wholesale appropriation isn't cool though. You acknowledge this yourself.

Should we even bother with choosing a license when a file is published on one of these sites? You imply that doing so is pointless.

Dizingof doesn't think so.

Where did I say or imply this? I'm not going to sit here and defend each and every CAD hosting site out there. What I am going to say is to choose one that best protects your interests. For me and others, thingiverse is not that site.

You're a hopeless cause, if you don't like Thingiverse, make something to compete with it then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 11:48AM by tjb1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login