Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mounting E3D v5 hotend

Posted by Bharadwaj 
Mounting E3D v5 hotend
March 11, 2014 12:39PM
Hello,

We are working with a RepRap Prusa i2 and the Wades Extruder.

We are planning to upgrade our hotend to an all metal E3D v5.

For mounting this on the wades extruder, Can we use a regular J head mount plate ?

Should the mount plate be necessarily Metal, or will the printed ABS one work ?

I was worrying if the ABS would melt, because of the direct metallic contact with the hotend.

Will the hotend dissipate heat fast enough that the ABS remains intact without melting ?

Experienced ones, Please Help grinning smiley
Re: Mounting E3D v5 hotend
March 11, 2014 01:55PM
According to the drawing provided by E3D, that standard mounting plate will not work. It needs to match the groove size of the E3D, which is 5.6mm rather than the 4.4mm of the mounting plate you show.

It can definitely be printed. The E3D's heat sink, above the bottom fin or two, is barely above room-temperature when operating.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 12, 2014 05:01PM
yeah e3d does not work with j-head mounts needs to be thicker .

just print one from thingiverse. theres a fair few.

i use one printed in PLA never have any issues. remeber the e3d has a fan cooling the hotend so heat will not rise enough to get to the mount anyway.
March 12, 2014 06:54PM
Enlightx
i use one printed in PLA never have any issues. remeber the e3d has a fan cooling the hotend so heat will not rise enough to get to the mount anyway.
Yep, PLA works just fine with an actively-cooled hot end. I wouldn't recommend using a PLA mount for a J Head for example, because if you run it without a fan (e.g. for printing ABS), the PLA mount will deform from the heat migrating up the hot end (ask me how I know sad smiley).
I also wouldn't recommend using PLA for a mount for an actively-cooled hot end inside of a heated chamber. But that applies to all the parts of the printer then.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 13, 2014 03:58AM
Thanks for the response guys.

I donot find any base plate for Prusa i2.

Has anyone made one ?

Is it fine if we just increase the thickness of the J Head Mount from 4.4mm to 5.6 mm ?

Thanks
Bharadwaj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 03:58AM by Bharadwaj.
March 13, 2014 02:48PM
[www.thingiverse.com]

You can download the E3D mount adapter and it will fit under the Wade Extruder (50mm center to center). Depending on your Wade, you will need to plug up the hotend mount hole so the filament doesn't buckle between the mount adapter and Wade Extruder, maybe print a plug with a small hole for the filament to go through.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login