Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot End

Posted by tron 
Hot End
March 12, 2014 06:28PM
Could I get a recommendation for a good hot end? I am building a new machine, my current one has a J-Head but I want to try something different. Thank you.
Re: Hot End
March 12, 2014 06:35PM
tron
my current one has a J-Head but I want to try something different.
Why? Is your current one not working well? Do you want to try new materials that your current one cannot extrude? What size filament are you using or do you want to use? We need to know the answers to these questions to give you a proper answer.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 13, 2014 07:01PM
I want to try other materials, yes the j-head works but I want to try an all metal hot end. I want to use 1.75mm filament and maybe make it a Bowden set up. Thank you for the help.
March 13, 2014 08:00PM
tron
I want to try other materials, yes the j-head works but I want to try an all metal hot end. I want to use 1.75mm filament and maybe make it a Bowden set up. Thank you for the help.
It helps to know that you are looking for an all-metal hot end. In which case, the current go-to recommendation is the E3D hot end. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

A2
March 13, 2014 08:33PM
Can some one list the available "all metal hot ends", no Teflon liner, "all metal".
March 13, 2014 10:17PM
Why don't you start a wiki page and ask for help in completing it?

A hotend table would be a nice addition to the wiki. Here's a useful link to start with: [reprap.org]
March 14, 2014 01:29PM
I bought a E3D a week or so ago to replace my Chinese J-head and have NOT regretted it at all. Heats in a flash, all metal, 2 parts in the filament path so if you do clog it, easy to disassemble and clear.
March 14, 2014 04:09PM
Thank you NewPefection, I been looking around the forum and I only get more confused, all the pictures are closed up so is hard to tell the size of the parts, I like the Prusa hot end but it only comes in 3mm and is long, the E3D looks cool but when I saw the specs is a big hot end and it is in England, I am in the USA I do not want to wait for it to get here. In the end there is 2 hot ends that call my attention the Prometheus and the Sunburn and it seems is the ones I can't have, the Prometheus is not for sale and the Sunburn seems is not for sale anymore, I send a PM to the OP but he as not answered, the links on that post are dead I did a search in Google and there is no where to look for more information all I found is a picture, the hot end looks nice is all black that called my attention and I was laughing so hard reading that thread, it remind me of a picture I saw earlier today, I think this is GSM when he was a kid smiling smiley take a look at the thread you'll understand why and have a laugh.
This dude single handed cut in half the 4-5 dudes that where pushing him ehehehe I was screaming USA, USA! As I was reading and when I was done I went to drink beer and shoot my guns ehheheehe. Just kidding GSM smiling smiley
I am still looking it seems I can't find a kick a$$ hot end. I saw A2 posts all over diferent hot ends and I like what I see in his posts, A2 what hot end are you using? I saw you said that the Prometheus should not be consider an all metal hot end because it has a Teflon liner, so now I discarded that hot end from my list.
Thank you for all the help and entertainment I have not laugh like that in a while smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - GSM.jpg (43.8 KB)
March 14, 2014 06:31PM
NormandC
Why don't you start a wiki page and ask for help in completing it?

A hotend table would be a nice addition to the wiki. Here's a useful link to start with: [reprap.org]

I've just started one, it's actually been on the to-do list for a little while , it's going to be one of those pages which is going to be quite controversial

Hotend_Comaprison wiki page

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 06:31PM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 14, 2014 06:50PM
thejollygrimreaper
I've just started one, it's actually been on the to-do list for a little while , it's going to be one of those pages which is going to be quite controversial

I corrected the spelling, hope you don't mind smiling smiley

March 14, 2014 06:54PM
NewPerfection
thejollygrimreaper

I corrected the spelling, hope you don't mind smiling smiley

lol, of course not , i can't type properly today smiling smiley

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 14, 2014 07:44PM
tron
the E3D looks cool but when I saw the specs is a big hot end and it is in England, I am in the USA I do not want to wait for it to get here.

There are at least two dealers in the USA with the E3D in stock for shipping today the last time that I checked:

http://store.makerstoolworks.com/

http://www.filastruder.com/products/all-metal-e3d-hotend

I purchased mine from MTW, and they shipped a nice, pre-wired thermistor assembly instead of making you suffer through slipping little teflon booties over loose thermistor leads and then crimp wires on.

Sorry that I can't help with the "big hot end" issue, but I can help take one of your excuses away..... smiling smiley
March 17, 2014 05:26PM
Thank you vreihen, I will consider getting the E3D.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login