Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to get some MK7 & MK8

Posted by Rigor_M 
Where to get some MK7 & MK8
March 15, 2014 04:35PM
Hi,

Like the subject says, i'm looking for a place where I can get MK7 & MK8. I bought some on ebay but I think they are a bit crappy. I get uneven extrusions and they look homemade.

thank for any leeds on this :-)

J-F
Re: Where to get some MK7 & MK8
March 15, 2014 04:53PM
Rigor_M
Hi,

Like the subject says, i'm looking for a place where I can get MK7 & MK8. I bought some on ebay but I think they are a bit crappy. I get uneven extrusions and they look homemade.

thank for any leeds on this :-)

J-F

are these what you mean? click here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 04:53PM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 15, 2014 05:32PM
If you want the original ones? Get these babies: [www.ebay.nl]

Not sure if they are the original, but I bought two of these and they work flawlessly! Direct Drive 1.75mm bowden setup PLA.
March 16, 2014 01:27AM
The original MK7 were on Makerbot Thing-O-Matic, hence MK for Maker.

Can't beat the original designer and maker of these flawless stainless steel MK7 filament drivers, Made In The USA. I have gone through 100+ kg spools, never a slip, grind or showing any wear whatsoever.

Buy the originals, and never look back.

MakerBot Orginal MK7
March 16, 2014 11:19AM
Thanks guys, I new they where makerbot but the though never crossed my mind to get them direct from them.. I hope they ship to canada and dosent cost a arm and a leg for the shipping ;-)

@Ohmarinus: lucky you, My first design was using a bowden style setup but had terrible time getting the filament trough the tube. Then I make a makerbot style extruder, even then, I have some slipping.

That is why I want to change the MK7/8 gear.

Again, Thanks to all :-)

J-F
March 16, 2014 11:21AM
Ohmarinus

Not sure if they are the original, but I bought two of these and they work flawlessly! Direct Drive 1.75mm bowden setup PLA.

I saw the reprap.me ones but I wasent sure of there quality..

does reprap.me sell good stuff ?
March 16, 2014 01:56PM
Rigor_M
Ohmarinus

I'm a bit doubting about the quality of the J-head, but the MK8 drive gear works super good.
Airtripper (also here on the forums) did a very detailed review on drive gears and the MK8 (by reprap.me) won hands down.

Find it here:
[airtripper.com]

And here the extruder I'm using:
[www.thingiverse.com]
March 16, 2014 02:09PM
Ohmarinus
Rigor_M
Ohmarinus

I'm a bit doubting about the quality of the J-head, but the MK8 drive gear works super good.
Airtripper (also here on the forums) did a very detailed review on drive gears and the MK8 (by reprap.me) won hands down.

Find it here:
[airtripper.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

I remember vaguely the airtripper's review about the MK7/8. I did now know its was from reprap.me.

Its a good thing that they are good because I just ordered 3x MK7 and 2x MK8.

Hope they work alot better that I have at the present time :-)

Thank.
March 16, 2014 03:25PM
Rigor_M
Ohmarinus
Rigor_M
Ohmarinus

Find it here:
[airtripper.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

I remember vaguely the airtripper's review about the MK7/8. I did now know its was from reprap.me.

Its a good thing that they are good because I just ordered 3x MK7 and 2x MK8.

Hope they work alot better that I have at the present time :-)

Thank.

Cool, well, if you had read it well, you would've noted that the MK8 gear has a smaller diameter, which really helps a lot. The MK7 therefor is less successful.

I hope you have a good experience too. For me the biggest plus is that the gear doesn't get clogged very fast, even when it's slipping (which I have experienced on a particular print last week due to bad gcode) it doesn't get very dirty. The teeth have a good bite in the filament and the filament doesn't twist as it does with badly threaded hobbed bolts. Also, after retracting and extruding again, the filament doesn't get damaged more from the movement back- and forth.
March 16, 2014 04:46PM
ShawnT98027
The original MK7 were on Makerbot Thing-O-Matic, hence MK for Maker.
Not quite: [en.wikipedia.org]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login