Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seperate fan system

Posted by sungod3k 
Seperate fan system
March 15, 2014 04:56PM
Hey printer commanders,

as I´m adding more and more details to upgrade my printer I noticed that most kits neglect the amount of fans a printer needs.
Of course this is a bit of a luxury problem and the essential model cooling fan is implemented easily on most boards, but when I imagine that I´d like to cool 4 motors during longer prints, 1 nozzle, 1-2 for cooling the board and 1-2 more for model cooling from all sides.
I end up with 6-8 additional fans that I have to wire into my power terminal/supply and I find this not really elegant.

So I was wondering If someone has seen a printer where this was solved particular well?
I think a breadboard with clean wiring into the main terminal of the board and a parallel connection with connectors and something similar to a trimpot to regulate the speed of the fans would be nice.

Cheers
Re: Seperate fan system
March 15, 2014 11:43PM
i know if i was looking at that many fans i would start looking at some of the computer controler options, http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49873

i am thinking about going to a option like that,

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 15, 2014 11:44PM
You really shouldn't need to cool the electronics - the SMD chips are designed to only require PCB heatsinking. You absolutely should not need to cool the stepper motors unless they are sitting right above the heated bed.

Most of these components are designed to run hot. Nothing will really happen to a stepper motor until the insulation starts burning, and silicone is generally good to 80c+ as well. If you can touch a component without burning your hand it is fine, and even if you can't it still might be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 11:44PM by 691175002.
March 16, 2014 12:27AM
@dissidence: that a great product, probably the easiest solution

Ill probably start with something like that [3.bp.blogspot.com] soldered together from scrap.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 12:32AM by sungod3k.
March 16, 2014 12:29AM
bad link.

i am looking into something like that, because i dont want to hear all the fans i have just going at full speed, might help if i found some quieter ones.

the old one i have seems to be getting some issues.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login