Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chocolate Powder Sintering?

Posted by oatmonster 
Chocolate Powder Sintering?
March 15, 2014 10:56PM
Austin based chocolate company Piq Chocolates has built a 3D printer that uses a laser to melt chocolate powder (I don't think it's cocoa powder) in a process that is basically selective laser sintering. (Here's a video: [www.mystatesman.com])

What kind of a laser would it take to melt chocolate powder?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 10:57PM by oatmonster.
VDX
Re: Chocolate Powder Sintering?
March 16, 2014 04:39PM
... nearly any type with power above some hundred Milliwatts, as dark brown powder is really good absorbing light and so perfect heating up.

But avoid burning/evaporating, or it won't be eatable/enjoyable any more ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 16, 2014 08:52PM
It's probably a lower powered CO2. But you have to be very careful about how you heat chocolate... it's easy to cause a phase change that makes it not taste that great.
March 16, 2014 10:20PM
You can tell in the video it's not a C02 laser as it's just a compact diode laser head. Search ebay for burning laser diodes.

Issue #2 of the RepRap magazine had an article on lasers for cutting, probably about the same for making chocolate. (see top of screen Magazine button)
March 16, 2014 10:49PM
Oops, didn't see the video. Yea you're right -- it's just a red diode laser.

“Everything has a trade off,” Lalla says. “Since you’re fusing powders together, it’s not going to taste like traditional chocolate. It has more of a consistency of a sugar cube because the powder has more surface area. You get a lot of chocolate flavor all at once, but it’s not the silky, milky, creamy chocolate experience.”

I don't think that's an entirely accurate statement. It probably has the consistency of a sugar cube because the chocolate is being overheated by the laser. I can't imagine that chocolate 3d printing can be done well with a laser. It's hard enough to get it perfect using a double boiler...
March 17, 2014 03:28AM
Thanks, I'll look into burning laser diodes!

I'm not too concerned about how getting great tasting chocolate at the moment. Right now, I'm more worried about getting a powder that will melt well. They seem to be using straight cocoa powder right now, and although it's easy to get, it doesn't contain any cocoa butter, so I can't imagine getting anything with a texture like regular chocolate.
March 17, 2014 05:51AM
Sounds great for making a shell if the melt temperature difference is enough allow filling with liquid chocolate during/after without ruining the walls.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
March 17, 2014 01:13PM
Do you guys think a laser diode pulled out of a DVD burner would work?

Joe that's definitely an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how thin you can make the walls while maintaining structural integrity.
VDX
March 17, 2014 03:37PM
... as said in my first post - any diode with power >100mW can melt dark coloured shugar.

With most of my diodes the achievable spot size at around 40mm distance from the lens is roughly 0.05mm.

With very fine powder (<0.01mm) the 'fused' area is slightly bigger than the spot -- with coarser powders it's depending on the particle size, as the heated spot is surrounded/embedded by solid particles, that sticks to the molten zone.

So my estimation for the finest structures/walls is around 0.1mm for powders with 0.03mm ... and adequate bigger/thicker for greater particle sizes ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login