Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Source for a replacement PEEK barrel for Merlin Hotend

Posted by tymm 
Source for a replacement PEEK barrel for Merlin Hotend
March 16, 2014 01:53AM
Hi,

trying to track down a replacement PEEK barrel for a Merlin hotend -- sadly due to a poor Z endstop connection I ended up totaling mine (fast Y axis move… bed whacked it from the side & bent it in half).

I'd bought the hotend from RepRapDiscount; I send them a message months ago asking about replacement parts but never heard back -- hoping anyhow there might be a source in the states.

Thanks for any suggestions...

-Tymm
Re: Source for a replacement PEEK barrel for Merlin Hotend
March 16, 2014 02:15AM
FYI...

I bought my PEEK stock to make my own replacements from McMaster Carr

You can also buy PEEK stock to make your own replacements off of Amazon.com

Hope this helps you... enjoy Happy Printing !smileys with beer

Shawn
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

25+ Years Experience as a Manufacturing Engineer and New Product Developer
Three Years Experience... Printing 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week, complex and close tolerance functional engineering prototypes.
Printing PLA @0.1mm Layer Height with +- 0.05mm tolerance for all dimensional shapes (except slightly undersized hole I.D.s).
No printing of... toys, trinkets, low quality prints, or other useless printed objects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 01:24PM by ShawnT98027.
March 18, 2014 09:24PM
I am very charmed by this hotend. Sad enough it's hard go get a hold on here in Europe. The German seller is terribly overpriced, compared to the other shops.

I tried contacting fabber-parts but they have not replied to my emails.

Where else can I get this hotend for a decent price?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 09:26PM by Ohmarinus.
March 19, 2014 12:21AM
Thanks Shawn.

Björn (the developer) is great and actually contacted me... and hopefully we'll get it sorted out (though I'm amazed at the prices for shipping things from Germany!).

As a backup I've got some PEEK on order, though it's likely to be a long time before I've got the spare time to do the machining -- and sadly Amazon's PEEK comes in imperial sizes that are spaced such that for M10 threads one either has to go for a diameter that's slightly too small for full threads (9.5mm), or has to waste a lot of material (12.7mm).

I've got a small lathe, but it also needs work (and possibly a motor… and a steady rest) before it's up to the task.

Ohmarinus: have you considered RepRapDiscount.com? Looks like shipping to Germany is not cheap, but total price isn't too bad.
March 19, 2014 10:51AM
tymm
Thanks Shawn.

Björn (the developer) is great and actually contacted me... and hopefully we'll get it sorted out (though I'm amazed at the prices for shipping things from Germany!).

As a backup I've got some PEEK on order, though it's likely to be a long time before I've got the spare time to do the machining -- and sadly Amazon's PEEK comes in imperial sizes that are spaced such that for M10 threads one either has to go for a diameter that's slightly too small for full threads (9.5mm), or has to waste a lot of material (12.7mm).

I've got a small lathe, but it also needs work (and possibly a motor… and a steady rest) before it's up to the task.

Ohmarinus: have you considered RepRapDiscount.com? Looks like shipping to Germany is not cheap, but total price isn't too bad.

Well, the total price for me is 65 dollars, which totals 46.68 Euro. If I am able to buy the 2x hotend set from Fabber-parts, it will only cost me around 67 euros, so thats 33,5 eur per hotend, which means it's 13 euros cheaper for me in the end. This also comes in handy because I have two machines that need a better hotend.
March 19, 2014 11:21AM
Ohmarinus
Well, the total price for me is 65 dollars, which totals 46.68 Euro. If I am able to buy the 2x hotend set from Fabber-parts, it will only cost me around 67 euros, so thats 33,5 eur per hotend, which means it's 13 euros cheaper for me in the end. This also comes in handy because I have two machines that need a better hotend.

If you buy two hot ends from RepRap Discount, that totals $105 USD or 75.45 Euro (RapRap Discount charges a flat shipping rate). That's 37.72 Euro each, or about 4 Euro per hot end more expensive than the ones from Fabber-parts. Not bad.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 19, 2014 01:38PM
NewPerfection
Ohmarinus

If you buy two hot ends from RepRap Discount, that totals $105 USD or 75.45 Euro (RapRap Discount charges a flat shipping rate). That's 37.72 Euro each, or about 4 Euro per hot end more expensive than the ones from Fabber-parts. Not bad.

Well, in total it's around 8 euros more expensive, but I also like the fact that they're closer to me so that if there is a problem, it's less of a hassle when parts have to be sent back and forth.
I just hope Fabber-parts will answer me soon. If not they are probably also not gonna answer quickly when I have a problem, so then I might end up ordering them from the US anyway winking smiley
March 21, 2014 08:43AM
Okay, still haven't heard from Fabber-parts so I'm going to buy it from reprapdiscount.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login