Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SLDPRT to anything usable

Posted by miso 
SLDPRT to anything usable
March 20, 2014 07:12AM
Hi, what is the simplest way to convert solidworks SLDPRT/SLDASM files to stl/amf, or something that can be imported into FreeCAD (igs) or other free tools? I have seen couple of guides, but they all involved solidworks software. Does that mean that there are no free tools and I need access to solidworks software to do that? Thanks.
Re: SLDPRT to anything usable
March 20, 2014 07:35AM
I bet you could use fusion360 to do the conversion. Its not open source but free to use.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
March 20, 2014 08:35AM
Without Solidworks im not sure if there is a way to open and convert.
I have 2014 SW so its a non issue for me winking smiley
March 20, 2014 02:14PM
You can download a trial version of BobCad V26, it will open solidworks and convert to STL, IGES and STEP
March 20, 2014 05:21PM
I have Solidworks, PM me a dropbox link and I'll convert it to STL for you.
March 22, 2014 12:32AM
miso
Does that mean that there are no free tools and I need access to solidworks software to do that? Thanks.

There is certainly no open source software that can open SW files because they are proprietary formats with undisclosed specifications. Commercial competitors of SW are able to reverse engineer these file formats. Open source projects with limited resources can't, nor can they license third-party libraries (it would probably cost a boatload of money and be in violation of their license).

That is why open exchange formats such as STEP and IGES exist. It would be nice if designers using proprietary software were providing their files in an open format as well as their original files...
March 25, 2014 09:38AM
Thanks greenman100, fortunately I can have access to solidworks (2011 I think) from time to time, I was just hoping for free solution that I can have more at hand.

@BobCAD: Unless there is some trial license, that I have missed, in addition to out of the box demo mode, it won't save to anything else except native BobCAD format.
@Fusion360: I haven't tried it yet because it requires either MacOS or Win7 (I have linux and WinXP here), and I have already converted the files, but thanks anyway.
March 25, 2014 04:09PM
Keep in mind that solidworks files are not backwards compatible. If your file was saved in 2012 upward you wont be able to open it in 2011. Best bet would be getting someone with 2014 to open it for you and save it as something you can use.
March 25, 2014 04:39PM
If you save the file as a parasolid (solidwork's kernel), you should be able to take it to any version of SW.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
March 25, 2014 06:02PM
I have Solidworks 2014 and I'd be happy to convert file formats for anyone who needs it as long as it doesn't get crazy with how many need to be done. I also have Rhino 3, and AutoCAD 2014 LT which convert other file formats too.
March 25, 2014 06:29PM
gmh39
If you save the file as a parasolid (solidwork's kernel), you should be able to take it to any version of SW.

AFAIK the Parasolid geometric kernel is updated every year, I doubt any SolidWorks version shares the same kernel version, so that might not be true, unless the Parasolid file (*.x_t, *.x_b) was specifically saved in an older version.
March 26, 2014 08:35AM
When 3d solid modelers became popular backwards compatibilty mostly went out the door. Solid Edge can't save in a previous version. That forces everyone to keep upgrading. You can't upgrade one seat. A real cash cow.
March 27, 2014 01:05AM
I agree. As for backwards compatibility, it's a sham. I mean, I'm sure it's technologically possible to program converters to translate from one version to another. But they would not benefit from it, so...

And wait until they've all forced their customers to lease their apps in the cloud...
Re: SLDPRT to anything usable; it can now be done!
April 20, 2015 02:31PM
I know it's typically bad manners to revive a thread that's been dead and buried for a this long (almost a year exactly). But I came across this while googling and I've come up with a free solution to the SLDPRT issue.

There's a service online called grabcad workbench, it used to cost money but now that stratasys bought the company they've made it free. The service is designed with the idea of a sort of github for 3D CAD, and also has a repository of some free CAD files, but that's not what I'm using it for.

[grabcad.com]

Just create a free account, I just used my personal email when it asked for a business email, level I said other, Company I put personal use/open source development, not a company, sadly you do have to give them a phone number, and say if you have a 3D printer.

Then you get a confirmation email, click on the link and you have an account.

Then in the workbench, just create a project, upload your .SLDPRT file. Once it's uploaded, right click on it and select Download as, and I chose .Step since freecad likes it. If it's a large file you might have to wait a bit (you'll get an email with a download link too so you can leave and go do something else). you have your choice of AP 214 and AP 203 for .step both seemed to work for freecad....

You can also convert to .IGES .STL Parasolid ( .x_t ) ACIS ( .sat ) .jt and VRML ( .wrl )
some of them have additional options, but I know little about these formats, other than .STL and .STEP

So far for me it's worked great! I assume you can also do this with other proprietary CAD formats (I'd assume all the big names), so we can finally convert most files to something free open source programs can use!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 02:33PM by shadow651.
May 09, 2015 05:48AM
AWESOME advice man! GrabCAD works like a charm!!! (you just have to wait a bit, but it's worth it)

Source is being freed, step by step.
November 26, 2016 05:00PM
+1: GrabCad:

Didn't see 'Workbench' at first... sldprt file was found on GrabCad to begin with, for me. lol

After a few mins, found your post. Saved me from a lot of 'work around'...
November 27, 2016 06:22AM
Fusion360 can handle solidworks parts. However it will translate the sldprt file into a solid part without the feature tree from solidworks.

Regards

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login