Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Want to build a Delta/Kossel/Rostock...

Posted by dan11 
Want to build a Delta/Kossel/Rostock...
March 23, 2014 12:15AM
So after attending the Midwest RepRap Festival ( I was the dude with the Makerfarm i3!), I was inspired to build a new printer. After seeing all the sweet Delta-style printers I think that's what I want to build. Then I saw the Misumi deal....so my idea is this: I would like to build this new printer, but using some of the parts from my current Makerfarm printer, namely, the headed bed. Since the heated bed is bigger, how would I scale up a current Delta design? I'm not sure how to go about it. I did see another thread about the guy who converted his Printrbot Simple into a Delta, but I'm not that great with Solidworks just yet.

Also, it seems people with Delta printers are huge fans of 1.75mm filament. I suppose this is because it's easier on bowden-style extruders, but how hard is it to accomplish this with 3mm filament? I ask because I have a ton of it waiting to be used.

If I've posted in the wrong place, I apologize. I just thought if I posted here, more people would probably see it.
Re: Want to build a Delta/Kossel/Rostock...
March 23, 2014 04:45PM
i think the delta bots are cool, though i dont see why a guy would have to use 1.75mm filament, other than the lighter the hot end the better for a delta.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 23, 2014 08:13PM
Hey. I've got a makerfarm i3 also! I used my i3 to build a rostock delta printer. It has the same size heatbed as the markerfarm also. 3mm filament would work but 1.75 is more popular for bowden extruders.
March 23, 2014 08:26PM
gman
Hey. I've got a makerfarm i3 also! I used my i3 to build a rostock delta printer. It has the same size heatbed as the markerfarm also. 3mm filament would work but 1.75 is more popular for bowden extruders.

Where did you source the design? I've been looking, but I can't seem to figure out the proportions that I need to hit, i.e. how long do the arms have to be to reach the whole 8" x 8" bed? I'm trying to put together an order at Misumi before the end of the month and I don't want to order the wrong parts.

I figured that once I've printed myself out of 3mm filament, I could just convert everything to 1.75mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2014 08:27PM by dan11.
March 23, 2014 08:43PM
Here's the shopping list I made a while back. Some of the ebay links might be gone but also a lot of the things were bought from mcmasters. The dowels with the hinges need to be 25cm from the hinge hole to hinge hole. I built it to specification [reprap.org]
Electronics: ----------------------------------------------
RAMPS 1.4 or similar $60
[www.ebay.com]
Heatbed $17
[www.ebay.com]
NEMA 17 $60
[www.makerfarm.com]
micro switches $5
[www.makerfarm.com]
Other Parts: ----------------------------------------------
AluHotend $28
PFA Tube $7
[www.mcmaster.com]
Zip ties $3
[www.ebay.com]
Dowels
[www.ebay.com]
Fasteners: ------------------------------------------------
M3 Nuts $3
[www.mcmaster.com]
M3 washers $2
[www.mcmaster.com]
M3x12 mm screws $3
[www.mcmaster.com]
M3x16 mm screws $3
[www.mcmaster.com]
M3x20 mm screws $3
[www.mcmaster.com]
M4x40 mm screws for plywood mounting $8
[www.mcmaster.com]
M4 nuts $2
[www.mcmaster.com]
M8x35 mm screws for 608 ball bearings $8
[www.mcmaster.com]
M8 washers $3
[www.mcmaster.com]
Frame Parts: ----------------------------------------------
Baltic Birch PLywood x 3 $30
[www.amazon.com]
Motion: ---------------------------------------------------
GT2 $44
[www.ebay.com]
762x8 mm smooth rod $40
[www.mcmaster.com]
Part number: 5544T272
LM8UU linear bearing $13
[www.ebay.com]
608ZZ $8
[www.ebay.com]
March 23, 2014 09:31PM
Thanks!!!

I'm going to put in my order later this week.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login