Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any ideas on how to modify a Prusa Nozzle Mk1 to work better

Posted by jzatopa 
Any ideas on how to modify a Prusa Nozzle Mk1 to work better
March 27, 2014 02:27AM
I purchased a Prusa Nozzle a while ago, got it printing ABS and then stopped using it due to jams. The prints I did get from it looked great, I think the extra attention to polishing had a very positive effect on my prints. I pulled it out to play with tonight and it seems to jam even worse then I remember. It seems to me like there might be a way to salvage the nozzle but I'm not sure how to go about it. The only ideas I can come up to improve the nozzle are finding a way to mount a heatsink or trying to find a way to water cool the nozzle. Anyone else have any ideas?

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
Re: Any ideas on how to modify a Prusa Nozzle Mk1 to work better
March 27, 2014 02:49AM
jzatopa
I purchased a Prusa Nozzle a while ago, got it printing ABS and then stopped using it due to jams. The prints I did get from it looked great, I think the extra attention to polishing had a very positive effect on my prints. I pulled it out to play with tonight and it seems to jam even worse then I remember. It seems to me like there might be a way to salvage the nozzle but I'm not sure how to go about it. The only ideas I can come up to improve the nozzle are finding a way to mount a heatsink or trying to find a way to water cool the nozzle. Anyone else have any ideas?

somthing i know a few people have done with those is the put a piece of ptfe tube down the bore and use it for 1.75mm filament, the catch is though that the ptfe tube has nothing to hold it in place, there are glues like loctite which should glue the top half of the ptfe tubing in place fairly well,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

March 27, 2014 01:44PM
I guess that would be better then nothing but it kind of defeats the purpose of an all metal hotend.

Think I could braise a copper tube to it for water cooling?

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
March 27, 2014 02:41PM
Can you update this thread if you try ptfe tubing? I am interested in trying the same thing but i cannot find a ptfe tube locally. 2/4mm and 4/6mm ptfe tubing is avaible, not impreial ones
March 27, 2014 03:22PM
If I end up trying it I will update but that may be a while. I have a lot of 3mm around.

March 27, 2014 03:51PM
I got my prusa nozzle printing and here is what I did. I took a paper towel, folded it up, put some olive oil on it and clipped it around my filament. I did have to run quite a bit of oiled filament through before it started to work. I am now completing my first print in ABS and I am not so sure this would work with PLA.

This may not be a long term fix but it's better then nothing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login