Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question: Polyamide pneumatic tube for Bowden? will work?

Posted by fleming 
Question: Polyamide pneumatic tube for Bowden? will work?
March 27, 2014 05:03AM
Hi,
I am looking in the local stores for bowden tubes, for 1,75mm filament.
I am trying to find Teflon tube with ID of 2mm, but without success.
The only available tube with an 2mm ID is polyamide tube.
I was googleling to find some reference, but without too much success.
I was wondering if someone had experience using this material instead of PTFE.
Thanks in advance.
PS:I know many sources in internet, but I would like to give a chance to the local stores..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 05:03AM by fleming.
A2
Re: Question: Polyamide pneumatic tube for Bowden? will work?
March 27, 2014 07:05AM
Polyamide (Nylon)
[en.wikipedia.org]

Most hardware stores carry Nylon tubing, it's cheap give it a try.
You can also try ridged HDPE tubing, another inexpensive tubing to test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 07:06AM by A2.
March 27, 2014 08:59AM
It can but that doesn't necessarily mean it will.

Nylon tubing has a coefficient of friction of 0.15 - 0.25. PTFE is 0.05–0.10. Translated, that means that it take 2-3 times more force to push the filament through the nylon tubing than the PTFE, all other variables being the same. The length of the tubing and stepper torque will determine if it will work or not.
March 27, 2014 11:13AM
I have no problem sourcing PTFE tubing with 2mm ID and 4mm OU, at least here in germany. Lately i got a 50m roll from ebay for €48. Usually you will pay €1.5 and up per meter. Currently it's not on offer, maybe check this ebay shop if it comes up again: [myworld.ebay.de]
While Nylon is ok for some slideing bearings it isn't realy useable for a bowden. I tried and it is not worth the effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 11:15AM by Srek.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 27, 2014 11:18AM
My first machine has a Nylon Bowden and my First Tantillus used Nylon until I finally got some PTFE. Both are 3mm which you can push on with more force than 1.75mm so that may be a difference.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 27, 2014 12:02PM
I have converted my OrdBot Hadron to a Bowden setup. I used 2mm PTFE with 1.75mm filament.

As mentioned the advantage is the very low coefficient of friction for PTFE. Don't know where you live but it is readily available on UK Ebay.
March 29, 2014 05:35PM
I'd say give it a try. I use 2mm ID MFA tubing with great results. Just make sure you have a small bit of lubricant in the tube and I think it'll work. If not, 2 ft of tubing isn't going to break the bank.
March 29, 2014 05:56PM
Hi,
Thanks for your input.
I need to continue looking around (or order a china), because it seems impossible to find this tube with 2mm ID... the only think that I found was in a pneumatic store, a spool of 50m for more than 80€ (110$ - 65Pounds).
I was trying to let part profit in the local stores... but I will finish ordering in internet.
A2
March 29, 2014 07:11PM
Just an idea, use Bowden control cables from:
Motorcycle
Go cart
Bicycle
Lawn mower
March 29, 2014 09:30PM
Bike cable housings would be awesome, but unfortunately I don't think the standard sizes are big enough. It's like 1.6mm ID for brake cable housings, which are bigger than the derailleur cable housings.
March 30, 2014 10:35AM
A Bowden cable for a 3D printer needs to be anchored securely at both ends. When using a lot of retraction there is a strong push/pull force on the tube. The tube also needs to be a good fit for the filament so the filament does not have a snaking effect inside the tube causing slack in the system. Unfortunately only standard sizes are available so I had to use 2mm id ptfe tube for 1.75mm filament. It is all a trade off, so I kept my Bowden tubes a short as possible. Mine are barely 15 inches long now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login