Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions about STL files

Posted by ohiomike 
Questions about STL files
July 05, 2007 04:07PM
While researching hardware I noticed that paper lamination is a method of 3d modeling. This got me thinking.

If it were possible to print cross-sections of a STL file onto stock paper then cut and paste (literally!) the sections together you would have a rough form of a part. That might be enough to allow impregnation, resin casting, or more importantly the casting of a negative mold. If I can figure out the mold making process I can potentially start turning out parts fairly quickly.

I really am no good at the software issues, is it even possible to print out an STL file in this manner even if I have to do screen captures of a STL viewer.

Also what do you guys recommend in STL compatable freeware?

And where is the site that actually contains the raw STL files?

Mike

The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:00PM by ohiomike.
Re: Questions about STL files
July 05, 2007 04:31PM
I bet it would be pretty easy to get the Slice and Dice software to spit out outlines at whatever intervals you please. Actually I would talk to Forrest, he created some software that does exactly that and posted it on the blog a few days ago. [builders.reprap.org] there on the builder blog, it's the 3rd one down. He might be nice enough to let you see it if you ask... smiling smiley
July 05, 2007 05:36PM
if you want to go this route, you may want to snag a 'cricut' machine.

as for where the STL files are stored, check our sourceforge page.

also, for STL file programs, try Art of Illusion or Blender.
July 06, 2007 12:22AM
Of interesting note, some mechanical parts manufacturers put out CAD files of their products as STL files. I was just digging through the CAD repository of dodge-pt.com for some 3D CAD files of their timing belt pulleys for work and found that they support a few dozen CAD formats, including STL and STEP.
July 23, 2007 10:51PM
There is a program that is available now called "RapidPro", I believe for around $900.00 USD. Basiclly it will import an .STL and slice and dice after which it will plot out the cross sections and print them to a plotter/cutter, after that you peel off the sticky back paper or plastic and stack the layers using location pegs. Looks like a neet system but you become the RP machine.

Here's there address [www.boxford.co.uk]
August 01, 2007 11:21AM
Mike (or anyone) can send me the stl files and I'll do the slicing and jpg images of the slices (in required size) and post them here for you (for free of course smiling smiley)

I'm a 3ds max user, and such things take only a few mins to do in max.
Also, if anyone wants any models, please let me know. Just send me rough diagrams with dimensions (or post here).

If you need molds (negatives in 3d!) that can also be done very easily.

I feel molds are the easy way for replicating reprap parts. We should not need a full fledged self replicator at this stage, to do that.
August 01, 2007 01:19PM
Something like this:
[www.youtube.com]

(Its a teapot, quick and dirty)
August 01, 2007 06:41PM
I'm not at work right now (the files are on my work computer) but expect an email in the next couple of days. Both positives and negatives would be appreciated since I may end up making disposable molds from a laminated positive for resin based investment casting. Or maybe I'll do a resin casting of a negative mold from a laminated postive and burn off the paper at 300C or so. I suspect I will be trying lots of things and might end up using different methods based on part geometery.

Mike

The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:09PM by ohiomike.
August 09, 2007 09:50AM
Hello Mike,
Have you received the files and are they useful?
I did not get any reply from you so I was wondering if you got them.
August 10, 2007 08:54AM
Sorry about the wait, the files were exactly what I was looking for. Now its just a matter of the time to start making molds.

I will try and start on them this weekend when I get a couple of hours to work without interruption.

Mike
August 10, 2007 10:45AM
Great... smiling smiley
September 17, 2007 04:35PM
be sure to let us know how to contact you in case we want to order some parts from you, mate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login