Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I am tired of thermistors and I think we all need to look for a better solution

Posted by jzatopa 
Re: I am tired of thermistors and I think we all need to look for a better solution
April 04, 2014 07:30PM
vreihen
jzatopa
I would like to point out that the solution doesn't really need to be a thermocouple. If we could find an M3 threaded thermistor that operated up to 300C we would have an ideal solution. I just can't seem to find one.

Did you check eBay? winking smiley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modular-Screw-on-M3-Stud-Thermistor-for-Reprap-Prusa-3D-Printer-Hot-End-Hotend-/221312429218?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item33873faca2

Not currently in stock, but it appears to be nothing more than an M3 brass standoff with a thermistor attached with JB Weld or something similar.

If you can find a thermistor small enough, they even make M2 brass standoffs if you want to DIY your own:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pcs-Male-to-Female-Screw-Brass-Pillars-Standoff-Spacer-M2x3mmx6mm-/131106624103?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1e86905267

What size thread is the set screw on an E3D hotend? grinning smiley

How the extra mass and metal will impact the temperature measurement accuracy is the big question.....

So I went ahead and ordered one of those thermistors and one of their hotends to test out. I think I need to do a hotend shootout one of these days with all the different ones I am trying out.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
Re: I am tired of thermistors and I think we all need to look for a better solution
April 05, 2014 05:01AM
I'm just thinking...
Are there any possibilities to use the logic and instead read out ex. resistance from heatbed/hotend instead?
/darneg
April 08, 2014 05:41PM
Here's a cartridge heating element with a built in thermocouple. Cartridge might be a bit long, though.
[www.aliexpress.com]
April 08, 2014 07:21PM
They have one that is 6mm x 20mm:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Heater-Cartridge-12-V-40-W-OD6-x-20-mm-for-3D-printer/1656199662.html

It appears that you can custom-order many different sizes and configurations. At $4.26 each shipped (minimum quantity 10), it really isn't a bad price if it works and has a K-type thermocouple. If it is only a few bucks more, getting one with aright angle cable exit and/or strain relief would be another huge plus over current 3D printer heaters in the supply chain.....
A2
April 08, 2014 09:32PM
At first glance this appears to be a nice solution, but I don't think it really is.

I don't think locating the temperature sensor within the heater cartridge is going to match the temperature of a thermistor mounted near the nozzle.
An integrated temperature sensor is not going to sense the diffused heat at the nozzle.
You'll probably be operating at a lower temperature.
I think you'll end up having to calibrate it by offsetting the temperature within the heater cartridge to the actual (i.e. desired) temperature at the nozzle.

I would like to see this work, testing/validating should be performed.
April 09, 2014 12:04AM
I think this needs some testing. I could see temperature fluctuations being an issue with depending on the size and material. In reality though it may only require the temps being off set a few degrees to compensate. If so this would be a great step towards hotend simplicity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 11:52AM by jzatopa.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
April 09, 2014 08:19PM
The beauty is that current hotends are still drilled for thermistors, so you can run the thermistor and the heater's K-type thermocouple side-by-side to chart the fluctuations and see what the actual difference is. Unfortunately, I am still swamped with trying to get a solid printer running, so I personally don't have time or a test environment to pursue this further at the moment.....
A2
April 09, 2014 08:31PM
For a test, plug the integrated heater cartridge K-type thermocouple into a handheld multimeter, and compare it to the thermistor temperature.
April 10, 2014 04:30PM
After I get some things off my plate I will try one of these with multimeter, it may take a while though.

fr
April 12, 2014 06:14AM
I found thermistors quite unattractive as well and designed a small thermocouple amplifier board. It's based on an AD8495 thermocouple amplifier chip, which is not the cheapest option, but offers reasonabl accurate temperatures. However, it is still less expensive than the other popular thermocouple amplifier choices for Repraps. The board is mounted near the hotend, so the fragile thermocouple wires do not need to move around. To the firmware, it just looks like another analogue temperature sensor, so the only things that need to be adapted are the thermistor tables. Thermocouples are nice for high temperatures, they're also inexpensive and quite robust. Of course, they do not offer the extreme amount of accuracy that thermistors can offer. However, I don't think this is important for these applications. Is there an interest in the board files/BOM/etc.?
fr
I found thermistors quite unattractive as well and designed a small thermocouple amplifier board. It's based on an AD8495 thermocouple amplifier chip, which is not the cheapest option, but offers reasonabl accurate temperatures. However, it is still less expensive than the other popular thermocouple amplifier choices for Repraps. The board is mounted near the hotend, so the fragile thermocouple wires do not need to move around. To the firmware, it just looks like another analogue temperature sensor, so the only things that need to be adapted are the thermistor tables. Thermocouples are nice for high temperatures, they're also inexpensive and quite robust. Of course, they do not offer the extreme amount of accuracy that thermistors can offer. However, I don't think this is important for these applications. Is there an interest in the board files/BOM/etc.?
Yep, there is interest from me at least!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login