Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D DLP Printer, 14″ of travel.

Posted by A2 
A2
3D DLP Printer, 14″ of travel.
April 03, 2014 04:23AM

The quality of the objects looks really good.

Graphite powder was added to the resin to make it black.

Is there a forum for DLP printers.

3D Printering: You Want UV Resin?
it’s actually cheaper to print with UV resin than plastic filament.
[hackaday.com]

3D DLP Printer
[3dprintzothar.blogspot.ca]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 04:32AM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_519 Apr. 03 04.10.jpg (108.3 KB)
VDX
Re: 3D DLP Printer, 14″ of travel.
April 03, 2014 06:34AM
A2
Is there a forum for DLP printers.

... this is the forum with most UV-resin/UV-printing related threads - [forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 03, 2014 09:20AM
They are using a price of $43.93 for PLA. I would say that is on the higher end of the filament pricing. Something around $35 would be more appropriate IMO.

But none that less, that is freaking cool!

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
April 03, 2014 01:45PM
gmh39
They are using a price of $43.93 for PLA. I would say that is on the higher end of the filament pricing. Something around $35 would be more appropriate IMO.
That price came from an article on Hackaday from last August that lists the vendos they got their prices from. The vendors came from the Reprap wiki page at that time and shipping for an individual roll is also included in that price. Not saying that $43.93 isn't high, but his numbers were sound at least at that time.

Besides, the cost comparison of UV cured resin to PLA, ABS, or any other by using just a weight is pointless. You'd have to factor in the density of the material before determining comparible costs unless you can find pricing of plastic filament based on a volume instead of a weight.
April 03, 2014 01:50PM
gmh39

$35/kg of PLA is $0.042/ml to $0.049/ml (1.2g/ml to 1.4g/ml density of PLA)

$40/liter of resin is $0.04/ml

There is cheaper PLA available, and more expensive resin, but I'm surprised how close in price they actually are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 01:52PM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 03, 2014 02:15PM
NewPerfection
gmh39

$35/kg of PLA is $0.042/ml to $0.049/ml (1.2g/ml to 1.4g/ml density of PLA)

$40/liter of resin is $0.04/ml

There is cheaper PLA available, and more expensive resin, but I'm surprised how close in price they actually are.

thanks for running the number! $35 was just an guestimate, but a price I saw as more current/realistic. It's great to see that the cost difference is only fractions of a penny!

greghoge.com

A2
April 03, 2014 03:49PM
This blog helped me understand the DLP build process.

The frame on this one looks very simple to construct.
Looks like the big expense items are the DLP projector, 1 stepper motor, and the frame.

DLP Resin Printer
[garyhodgson.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 03:57PM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_520 Apr. 03 15.42.jpg (67.5 KB)
April 03, 2014 04:05PM
This has me wanting to make a DLP printer with all the extrusion I have recently amassed.

greghoge.com

VDX
April 03, 2014 07:29PM
... DLP-beamers aren't so expensive - when starting with 3D-scanning and UV-curing, I've begun to collect 'broken' DLP-beamers from ebay -- the first one with working lamp was 65 Euros (now my oldest son uses it for home-cinema eye rolling smiley), then two SVGA-types without lamps for 10 and 13 Euros, which I've modded for UV-beaming ... but then we started two group-buys in a laser-forum for the special casio-DLP-beamers with removed blue-laser-banks but working red LED.

Have three of the A-130 types with 1024x786pix (one with red LED, two modded as 'lamp-less' for use with UV-LED) -- and two of the A-240 with 1200x800pix ... one with only the red LED modded for UV, the other with one working laserbank as full-color beamer for my David-Laserscanner.
The 'laser-less' casios were 35 Eruros for the A-130 and 45 Euros for the A-240 ... and 230 Euros for the 'full-color' A-240 with 6 of the 445nm-diodes in one of the banks.

Sometimes it's really easy to modify a DLP-beamer for 'lampless' and then insert an UV-lightsource instead of the original lamp - with the non-casio-beamers this was only a shortcut in a cable ... but with the casios this was a piece of SMD-soldering on the driver-PCB's eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

A2
April 03, 2014 09:17PM
A DLP printer looks really simple to me, I feel like I'm missing some thing, I'm going to look into this some more.

It looks like one could cost around $600.00 to $800.00 USD if you're careful.

I took a look at DLP projectors on eBay, and older units (>6yrs old), can be found in working order for ~$250 USD.

BOM off the top of my head:
$250.00: One DLP projector.
$100.00: Aluminum frame.
_$20.00: One stepper motor.
_$60.00: Two laptop power supplies, (one for the controller, and one for the DLP projector).
_$60.00: One micro controller.
_$10.00: One stepper motor driver.
_$60.00: Z axis linear guide rails, pulley, belt, screws, brackets.
_$40.00: Odds and ends.

$560.00: Total.

I have a few ideas to solve some problems that I have read about:
Suction of the bed to the bottom of the reservoir. The Z axis is hard to lift up: one idea is to add a piezo actuator to the reservoir to shake it to help break the vacuum, or two, drill holes in each corner of the build plate, and pump resin under the bed.
I think shaking the reservoir is a better idea, and it doesn't mess up the Z axis.

To reduce resin waste, and to reduce the amount of resin exposed to the light, make multiple sizes of bath chambers to reduce the amount of resin used.

I'm also thinking a particulate filter should be added, but I don't have any justification for this, it just seems to make sense to me.

VDX
but then we started two group-buys in a laser-forum for the special casio-DLP-beamers with removed blue-laser-banks but working red LED.

Got a link please.

VDX
Sometimes it's really easy to modify a DLP-beamer for 'lampless' and then insert an UV-lightsource instead of the original lamp

All this is new terminology for me, I'm going to look into it, tks for mentioning it.

gmh39
This has me wanting to make a DLP printer with all the extrusion I have recently amassed.

I have one stepper motor that I can apply towards this project, and now I want to make one too grinning smiley

garyhodgson / Printrun (I believe this is for DLP printing)
[github.com]

Open Source Photopolymer DLP 3D Printer
Good explanation of how DLP printing works, and your options.
"a DLP with a native resolution of XGA 1024 x 768 may be used to print and area of 102mm x 77mm at 0.1mm resolution
with a Z resolution controlled by the slice thickness and stage at 0.025mm."
[code.google.com]

Links to other DLP printers:
[3dlprint.com]

DIY 3D Printing and Fabrication
DLP printer forum
[groups.yahoo.com]
VDX
April 04, 2014 03:27AM
A2
VDX
but then we started two group-buys in a laser-forum for the special casio-DLP-beamers with removed blue-laser-banks but working red LED.

Got a link please.

... the laserforum is [laserfreak.net] ... but you need a login to read the posts.

This unused Casio DLP-beamers with salvaged laser-banks can be found around the sellers of 445nm-diodes ... most of them are removed from the banks, containing 24 of them eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

April 04, 2014 10:06AM
Found this too:

[www.buildyourownsla.com]

Havent really explored it much, but it looks like a good resources for DIY SLA.

greghoge.com

A2
April 09, 2014 11:02PM
Found this on Reddit, interesting summary of the advantages of DLP projector 3d printers.

Gaspar_Guru_Of_Time
Why do people keep designing Cartesian 3D printers? I want to see more Microstereolithography printers designed for cheap. Check this out, Microstereolithography printers:

Are mechanically simpler, so they're easier to maintain. This also means they're quieter.
Have higher print quality because they use HD projectors to flash the cross sections.
For the same number of z-steps they print faster because all parts of a cross section are flashed simultaneously. There is no traveling extruder.
Because the prints don't need to cool they're not prone to warping.
Because they don't use extruders and the substrate is liquid they will never jam.

[www.reddit.com]
April 10, 2014 12:18PM
I'm willing to wager that once someone is able to successfully use a pico dlp projector, these style printer swill take off in the reprap community.

greghoge.com

April 10, 2014 12:58PM
I've got a BenQ MP776 ST DLP and enough extrusion to get one of these together, I was not aware these were so far along as far as software went. I may give it a shot in the next couple months. By the way, the BenQ is a short throw so I think I may have to mount it at an angle because it shoots upwards out of the projector, not straight on, but it can focus at a crazy close distance like 30" or maybe a little closer.
A2
April 13, 2014 05:05AM
Found this comparison on Reddit.

Advantages DLP
DLP will be faster because it can cure an entire layer in one go.
DLP will be faster for large objects.

Disadvantages DLP
DLP printers will require tuning, are kind of big and bulky.
DLP printers use an image of each projected layer which is limited by the resolution of the printer.
The bigger the volume, the less accurate the image.

Advantages SLA
Lasers are accurate, small and low power.
Laser will be faster for small objects.
STL laser printers outline a vector of the printed object for each build layer.
STL process itself is far more predictable then FDM and as far as I know DLP.

Disadvantages SLA
Can be slow to cure a whole solid layer.
The downside to SLA technology is that the larger the print, the better peeling mechanism and resin you need.
[www.reddit.com]

This SLA printer looks pretty good for a finished printer.
Pegasus Touch SLA
[www.fsl3d.com]
[www.kickstarter.com]
A2
April 14, 2014 12:58AM
Could the DLP projector be orientated above the pool of resin, like this STL laser printer?

Delta Robot Stereolithography test
[www.youtube.com]

I'm still researching, but so far all the DLP printers are projecting from the bottom.
I also noticed that some DLP printers rock the pool of resin, slide the resin pool back and forth or do nothing before proceeding to the next layer.
Obviously the printers that are able to eliminate a rocking or sliding motion are simpler, but how are they getting away with it while the others cant. I'm thinking it might be due to the type of resin being processed.

I think it would be simpler to locate the DLP projector above the pool of resin, and eliminate the extra mechanics, if you have any link of how this works please post them.
Tks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 01:17AM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_539 Apr. 14 00.39.jpg (100.2 KB)
open | download - ScreenHunter_540 Apr. 14 00.43.jpg (43.4 KB)
A2
April 14, 2014 02:46AM
Found some one who made a top down DLP printer thumbs up
Looks easy to make too!

Top Down DLP projector 3d printer

Re: Foot in high heel - top down system
Postby gmoneyphx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:26 am

Nothing special is required to handle the platform displacement.
You have to start builds manually by lowering the platform into the resin until it covers the platform, then raising until about .5mm above the resin surface. Then I scrape excess resin from the platform, let the remaining settle out and start the build.

Can't even express in words how much more I prefer top down systems. After trying both systems, fighting with the vat coating and release issues top down is a breath of fresh air.

The widget was the first print from the system. Just a shape test really that included an angle, sharp corner, radius, fillet and square hole. 75 micron layers SubG+ .15% tan pigment.
Had an aspect ratio problem due to my video driver. Was supposed to be cylindrical not elliptical...

This shoe is the second print from this new system. 62.5 micron layers printed in SubG+ .15% tan pigment.
I need to fine tune the exposure and pigment levels to get sharper details but overall less than 1 week from start to finish building this printer and I am very happy with the results.

Never ending thanks go Steve. Creation Workshop makes it possible to build a printer in 1 week!

No build log, but feel free to ask questions.

Frame/structure is 80/20 aluminum (3030 to be exact).
Z Axis is stepper driven stage I bought years ago on ebay (has a Kerk screw and anti-backlash nut)
Controller is Mega2560 board from Amazon.
Vat is a 4.5in square steel tube - 5" tall currently.
I have the projector mounted on an Igus linear bearing so I can adjust it vertically to change the print size (within limits).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 02:51AM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_541 Apr. 14 02.28.jpg (158.8 KB)
open | download - ScreenHunter_542 Apr. 14 02.31.jpg (81.8 KB)
A2
April 14, 2014 04:31AM
Top Down DLP projector 3d printer

Ok, there is one negative with top down DLP printing, and that is the amount of resin to fill the vat.

Because you are moving the object down into the vat you are limited by the depth of the vat, and the amount of resin in the vat.
In addition you will need to make one small calculation to account for the volume of resin displaced by the armature supporting the build platform, that's not a deal killer just some thing to be accounted for.
So top down is reserved for small objects.

I wonder how degraded the resin becomes after printing an object, and how many objects you can print before the resin is set off.
If the resin degrades rather fast say after a few dozen parts, you could end up wasting a lot of resin.

But there is now UV resin costing only $22.50 + $12.00 shipping = $34.50/quart.
[www.solarez.com]

I imagine if you mask off the resin regions that you are not using you could further extend the resin pot life.
April 15, 2014 07:55AM
What is the software toolchain for DLP printing?
A2
April 15, 2014 08:04AM
@tjb1:

I can't provide any insight other than I'm collecting tons of links at the present, these are all the software links that I have to date:

DLP Software

Software for DLP: gary hodgson / Printrun:
[github.com]

Forum: Build your own SLA
ENVISION LABS CREATION WORKSHOP
[www.envisionlabs.net]
auto download
[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]
Creation Workshop - SLA / FDM Slicer and Controller
[www.thingiverse.com]

UVDLPSlicerController / UVDLP
[github.com]

A slicer and print controller for SLA and FDM based 3d printers
[github.com]

3 D L P rint
[3dlprint.blogspot.com]
[3dlprint.com]

ChemShapes, open source 3D rapid modeling technology
[www.chemshapes.com]

This is an example of how one person has done it:
[3dlprint.blogspot.com]

The Software

Slicing the STL:
I use the Freesteel Slicer to slice the STL in PNG images.
[www.freesteel.co.uk]

I have an old version MS Office 2003 Standard, that I use to assemble the PNG images into a PPS file to be fed to the macro below.

The Macro:
I have modified the John Watson Macro from [www.chemshapes.com], since I'm familiar with Mach3.

For instructions on how to use:
[www.chemshapes.com]

To download Power Point Viewer 97:
[download.microsoft.com]

[ftp.microsoft.com]

To download MACH3 Demo:
Please download the "Lock-down" versions.
[www.machsupport.com]

To download the macro:
From; [3dlprint.com]

The script works with MACH3 Demo (500 line limit)version 3.42.40/42 and FREE PPView97( you can download from Microsoft Links Above) perfectly!
Meaning on the HOST computer you have only the XP License cost.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 09:27PM by A2.
A2
April 15, 2014 08:25AM
gmh39
I'm willing to wager that once someone is able to successfully use a pico dlp projector, these style printer swill take off in the reprap community.

Pico DLP projectors have been done by at least 2 companies, (one appears to be out of business, and the other filling orders), and there is some one working on what I believe to be an open source version (55 lumen pico DLP).

The pico DLP's lumen ratings are very low (avg I'm guessing 55 lumens, up to 100), so printing is slower, but it works.
The small foot print of the pico DLP's are attractive, but after studying this, I'm more interested in the maximum lumen output that I can afford to speed up the printing process, and strength.
Top dollar for a DLP is around $38,000.00, and they have about +12,000 lumens.

I'm learning a lot fast, and new questions arise quickly, current concern is the strength, toughness, brittleness, flexibility, etc of the finish product.
I haven't run across any structural applications of a DLP printed part, but I've only just begun my research, I think I'll find a real world structural use, other than art.
VDX
April 15, 2014 08:34AM
... the strongest parts I've got per DLP was with 'remoulding' the printed part with metal.

The resin part was printed with solid shell and hollow innner structure (similar to a sparse honeycomb infill) -- inserted/covered with moulding sand -- and burnt away with the molten metal ...

Viktor
--------

A2
April 15, 2014 08:48AM
VDX
... the strongest parts I've got per DLP was with 'remoulding' the printed part with metal.

Very cool you've actually done that, metal rules!
I'm thinking about electroless nickel plating plastic parts, but it's expensive, and disposing of the chemicals is not appealing.
I have a kiln too, but it's not going on line any time soon. sad smiley

Lost foam casting comes to mind, EPS is used, huge stamping dies are made that way.
I've made aluminum molds to form EPS in the lab, cool material, and I was thinking the other day how to use DLP to replace the aluminum molds.

I'm seeing a lot of people asking if the UV resins can be used in place of wax for lost wax casting of rings, I'm not sure if it's been done.
The high resolution of the DLP objects is amazing, I can see why jewelry designers are interested.
VDX
April 15, 2014 04:10PM
... Fernando (from spota-materials) had plans to mix UV-resin with wax-microbeads for casting.

Attached are images of two resin-parts - one is solid, the other with this 'holow honeycomb-infill' as used for lost form casting:

Viktor
--------

A2
April 16, 2014 08:45PM
Notes on the build size, and resolution of DLP printers:

lemoncurry
Native resolution of: XGA, 1024 x 768.
Print area: 102.0 mm x 77.0 mm, (4.016 inch x 3.032 inch).
XY resolution: 0.10 mm.

Native resolution of: SVGA, 800 x 600.
Print area: 80 mm x 60 mm, (3.150 inch x 2.362 inch).
XY resolution: 0.10 mm.

Layer thickness maybe be any range you wish from 0.001 mm to 0.250 mm, (1 um to 250 um) based upon the resin and lamp used.
[code.google.com]

3 D L P rint
Native resolution of: SXGA+, 1400 x 1050.
Print area: 200.0 mm x 150.0 mm, ( 8.0 inch x 6.0 inch).
XY resolution: 0.043 mm.
Z resolution: 0.025 mm.
[3dlprint.blogspot.com]

3D DLP Printer
Native resolution of: SXGA+, 1400 x 1050.
Z resolution: .050 mm.
Build envelope: 104 mm x 204 mm x 14 inch, (8.031 in x 4.094 inch x 14 in).
You can make it 10 cm x 19 cm without losing detail.
[3dprintzothar.blogspot.ca]
[www.instructables.com]

Kudo3D Titan1:
Native resolution of: Full HD 1920 × 1080, (1080p).
XY resolution: 0.05 mm to 0.10 mm.
Z resolution: 0.10 mm to 0.20 mm.
Print area: 190.5 mm x 107.95 mm x 241.3 mm, (7.5″ x 4.25″ x 9.5″), (WxDxH approx).
Print speed: 1.9 to 2.7 inches/hr.
[www.kudo3d.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 12:39AM by A2.
April 21, 2014 07:08PM
Hi A2,

First of all - you are doing an amazing job with your printer. Our team at Kudo3D are always very happy to see progress within our industry!

There are just some modifications to our specs that we like to call out which are also on our website (http://www.kudo3d.com/products/):

XY resolution: 0.037mm to 0.10mm
Z resolution: one micron and above

Maximum printing speed: 2.7 inches / hr for xy:50 micron and z:100 micron resolution
1.3 inches / hr for xy:100 micron and z:100 micron resolution

Thanks!

Regards,
Jon
April 22, 2014 08:31AM
Unfortunately I do not think I will be making one now, my only DLP projector is a short throw version, It makes a 60" image from 30" away and has quite a convex lens on it and I can't see a way to focus it any closer. I will maybe take it apart and look at letting the lens move further but it's not looking good so far.
A2
April 22, 2014 10:36AM
What projector do you have.
Depending on the projector, different mods are required.

Check this list out for projectors that have worked with mods.

DLP projectors that have worked for 3d printing:
[www.allinbox.com]

DLP Projectors already being used for 3d printing:
1. Acer H6510BD DLP.
2. Acer 6500.
3. DELL 5100MP, [www.projectorcentral.com] It might not be the best for the purpose, but it has a 1400x1050 (only through the Analog VGA connector) native resolution and a 300W P-VIP lamp.
4. Optoma EP728 1024 X 768, 0.55'' DLP chip, 100X80X130 build size, XY resolution 0.10 mm, 0.01 mm on Z . [donsdeals.blogspot.com]
5. InFocus IN2104, 1024 × 768, 200W bulb. [garyhodgson.com]

DLP projectors hard to implement, (i.e. don't buy):
1. HP xp7030, [3dprinter.wikidot.com]

Presently I'm considering this projector, but still studing: Acer H6510BD DLP.

Acer H6510BD
1. Color Brightness: 580 lumens
2. White Brightness: 3000 lumens
3. [www.colorlightoutput.com]
8. Lamp Life: 4000 hours (Standard), 5000 hours (ECO), 7000 Hours (ExtremeECO)
9. Projection Lens: F = 2.59 ~ 2.87, f = 16.88mm ~ 21.88mm, 1:1.3 Manual Zoom and Manual Focus
10. Keystone Correction: +/-40 degrees (Vertical), manual
11. Input Interface: Analog RGB/Component Video (D-sub) x 2, Composite Video (RCA) x 1, S-Video (mini DIN) x 1, HDMI (Video, Audio, HDCP) x 1, PC Audio (Stereo mini jack) x 2
12. Control Interface: USB (mini-B ) x 1, RS-232 (mini-DIN) x 1
13. 1920 x 1080p.
14. Lamp: Osram 210 W user replaceable P-VIP lamp.
[www.newegg.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 04:19AM by A2.
April 22, 2014 10:55AM
Has anyone tried Sony's ~$50,000 4K projector yet?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login