Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can i buy a replacement mosfet at radio shack ramps1.4

Posted by Anthony2014 
Can i buy a replacement mosfet at radio shack ramps1.4
April 08, 2014 02:46AM
Hello I am wondering can i buy a replacement mosfet at radio shack for D8 on ramps 1.4?
Re: Can i buy a replacement mosfet at radio shack ramps1.4
April 08, 2014 04:38AM
There's one way to find out...

April 08, 2014 04:42AM
Actually there is 2 ways. I can ask on here for some one with a little more knowledge than you I guess, or go find one with similar specs at radio shack. I prefer to know if someone has done this already. Due to the fact that all the replacement ones I came across are not listed on radio shack website.
April 08, 2014 05:30AM
these are some of the more popular mosfets:

IRLB3813, IRLB8743, FDP8870, AOT240L, CSD18502KCS

these will not requires a heatsink and can handle quite a bit, typically if radioshack is anything like jaycar is here most of the mosfets they stock are probably useless, you are best off finding a supplier of the above mosfets local or with free shipping to where you live

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

April 08, 2014 06:05AM
It appears that they only have one mosfet available in stores according to their web site:

Radio Shack - You've got questions? We've got blank stares.

I don't know about you, but I want my 1980's Radio Shack back.....
April 08, 2014 03:08PM
vreihen

I spent the better part of my childhood at Radio Shack in the early 80's, even to the point that staff would ask me to help with customers questions, I should have been on payroll.

Alas, they found it more profitable to sell pre made things rather than supply parts.
April 08, 2014 06:15PM
tmorris9
vreihen

I spent the better part of my childhood at Radio Shack in the early 80's, even to the point that staff would ask me to help with customers questions, I should have been on payroll.

Alas, they found it more profitable to sell pre made things rather than supply parts.

over here in Australia we saw Dick smith go through that very change and now they just sell "toys"

jay-car used to be pretty good too but if you are after something simple like a mosfet or a pic chip you're out of luck and stuck with a very limited over priced range , so most of the time we use digikey, rs-components , or get it in directly from someone in china ,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2014 06:17PM by thejollygrimreaper.

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

April 08, 2014 07:31PM
The one plus that I will give Radio Shack is that they had a whole rack of genuine Arduino Mega 2560's in stock when I was there a few months ago:

Anyone in the USA with a RAMPS board that accidentally pops their processor can be back online the same day.....
April 10, 2014 04:01AM
If you are replacing that really badly overheating heatbed mosfet then the one you want is the RLB87430PBF. Mine got so hot that it desoldered itself from the ramps board. This one runs nice and cool with no additional heatsink.
April 10, 2014 08:04AM
I am waiting on an external solid state relay to power the heatbed from the Ramps board. Hopefully, It will take the current and heat away from the board. I think it is a better way to go. Mine does get very hot.

[www.ebay.co.uk]
April 10, 2014 12:31PM
Thanks guys for the info I just ordered IRLB8743PBF hopefully it is correct. Yes it is for heater bed mosfet. smiling smiley I really do miss the old radio shack..lol. I am running the makerfarm heater bed 8.4*12 with their heater relay that they sale.( Well trying to)
December 03, 2015 01:36PM
You can. I've done it. It may be your only option if it's the weekend and you need it immediately.

The problem is the power FETs sold by radioshack have high on resistance ~540mOhm. I purchased 2 IRF510 from Radioshack (part link) two Saturdays ago. The FET resistance is so high I burned up the first one I installed just like the one I was replacing. The good news is it's failure mode was open instead of closed like the STP55NF06L I first replaced. It's disappointing that these are the only options stocked by Radioshack that writes on their website, "Transistors are our specialty."

So the solution is to go to a auto distributor like autozone and get a relay too. Use the repalcement FET to switch the relay in bang bang mode. The relay I got had a input resitance of 80 Ohms so there is much less current going through the FET this way. This will get you up and running again.

In the mean time order a power fet with lower on resistance from digikey. I would go with the IRLB3034PBF which has 1.4 mOhm on resistance. Get a heatsink for it too. Getting rid of the relay will allow you to get off off bang-bang mode and back onto PID which will probably be more temperature stable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2015 01:37PM by CTCHunter1.
December 03, 2015 02:59PM
Cough Cough...

Sorry, when you knocked the dust and cobwebs off this thread it stirred up my alergies...

grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login