Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LEGO RepRap

Posted by spacexula 
LEGO RepRap
January 22, 2010 08:42AM
Surely someone has thought of this, but can't find if there has actually been any work done on it.

Basicly you build all the peices for mendel out of hybrid rp/lego peices.

The standard dimentions of legos are set internationally, and already based of metric measurements. They also have an already active development community.

[www.robertcailliau.eu]

The parts can be had new and used cheap

Basicly what you would do is print custome lego interface peices, so on the vertex peices all you would actually print would be the tear drop hole, the rest would be lego, The main bulk of the x caraige would be lego, but all the interfaces would be RP.

I know we have printed lego bricks, but has anyone started any work on this idea? Is it not doable (considering what is done in the mindstorm community it seems hard to imagine it's not doable).

Think of it this way, That would bring THOUSANDS of mind storm fans under the RepRap umbrella.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
VDX
Re: LEGO RepRap
January 22, 2010 09:00AM
... there were some post about running Lego-RepStraps, but not a really big community behind eye rolling smiley

Building with 'standard' Lego-pieces isn't really stable ... or you have to use glue to fix the bricks to a solid body.

Better use the Technics-bricks with interconnectors ... but for bigger dimensions this is something shaky too.

I think with a good design you can build a frame rigid enough for the common 0.1mm-accuracy with an estimated size of a cube smaller 50x50x50cm.

In this dimensions and with typical legolice fixatures you'll have a building volume around 20cm in diameter, what's not so impressive sad smiley

But for starting with ideas and function-prototypes it's really good grinning smiley

By the way - i'm prototyping mostly with "FischerTechnik" because of the higher stiffnes and slightly better interconnection-design, but we have some big boxes full of Lego, Lego-Technics and the Mindstorm Nxt at home too spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
January 22, 2010 01:35PM
We already have steel rods providing most of the bulk-material for the Mendel. When I think about any of the existing pieces, like the frame-vertex I can't see how they could be made out of LEGOs. The two holes for the 60 degree angle come very close on one side and so you might as well make them out of one piece. Then you have to two perpendicular pieces in the gap, and the LEGO pieces for those would meet the 60 degree piece so they should be joined. Eventually you end up with the same thing as we have to print and no actual LEGOs saving any work.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
VDX
January 22, 2010 04:14PM
... with Lego or other 'constructor'-kits you'll make a specific frame- and feeding design best fitting to the mechanical and static possibilities of the bricks/elements.

Darwin and Mendel were 'born' in the view of rod'n'thread-frames ... with other construction basics there will be complete different mechanics and designs, so this would be a complete different world to explore grinning smiley

Viktor
January 22, 2010 04:18PM
[Edit: I nuked what I wrote here. I'll give it its own thread. -Sebastien]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 05:13PM by SebastienBailard.
January 22, 2010 04:47PM
Im not sure that you guys in the USA or any where else in the world apart from the UK will have seen any of the BBC programs by James May of Top Gear called "James Mays Toy Stories" from Lego to full life size "Spitfire" Airfix Kits and more.

So here is a Link regarding Lego to amaze you all.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

So if you can make a full size house why not a RepRap or the Eiffel tower come to that.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 26, 2010 01:21PM
I was attempting to use Lego a while back but was running into massive backlash problems:

[objects.reprap.org]
[www.flickr.com]
January 26, 2010 09:32PM
There where some very good points made here on why a Lego RepRap might not work all that well. I think some things it might be good for, but most things it's not optimal.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
February 07, 2013 12:40AM
I see I am not the only one that would like to see a RepStrap built mostly from Lego parts:

Honestly I'm a little surprised that there are already 3 working RepStraps built from fischertechnik parts
and apparently none of the Lego projects are extruding plastic yet.
February 07, 2013 02:04AM
A Lego RepStrap should be possible. There are videos of,Lego,CNC machines carving foam...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login