Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FiveD firmware with Reprap java host problems

Posted by mochen72 
FiveD firmware with Reprap java host problems
January 22, 2010 06:59PM
Hi everyone,

I have been having some trouble getting my Reprap to print.

I have loaded the FiveD_GCode_Interpreter firmware to the motherboard, and FiveD_GCode_Extruder to the extruder controller.

When I use the Reprap java host to nudge the X and Y axes, everything works fine. However, when I do the same with the Z axis, the motor would try to move but fail. I am not quite sure what the problem is since I've used the control panel in ReplicatorG and all three axes move fine. Perhaps I am using the wrong settings somewhere, for example in configuration.h or in the preferences?

Secondly, I cannot seem to move the the extruder stepper motor that's supposed to be driven by the extruder controller. The only thing I've tried here is to set the extrude speed to 3000 mm/min and press Extrude in all three extruder tabs. Again, I'm not sure if there's a setting that I'm supposed to use.

Note that I have made one little change to the FiveD_GCode code...

I uncommented the line #define USE_THERMISTOR in thermistortable.h because I'm using a thermistor.

I also changed "int raw = sample_temperature(temp_pin);" to "int raw = sample_temperature();" in extruder.pde because otherwise it would not compile. From the code, it looks like the function sample_temperature() does not take any parameters.

Please advise.

Mo
Re: FiveD firmware with Reprap java host problems
January 23, 2010 01:42AM
Hi Mo,

I can not help with the Z axis as mine is functioning properly.

I think the problem with the extruder is likely that the step and direction are not transmitted over the rs485, but need their own wires. The mendel wiring diagram here [objects.reprap.org] shows the two wires you need marked from scl and sda on motherboard to d9 and d10 on extruder. That was my problem anywaysmiling smiley

Johnny Russell
January 23, 2010 04:52AM
I will try the two wires.

Are you using a Mendel?

I'm still using a Darwin. I wonder if that's why the Z wouldn't work.

Thanks a lot for your help smiling smiley

Mo
January 23, 2010 02:04PM
I am debugging my Mendel.

I think the 5D firmware is setup for Mendel so you will most likely need to adjust the steps_per_mm settings for all the axis. I do not have a Darwin, but I do not see that that should keep the Z from moving.

I too am using a thermistor, but did not have to make the "int raw = sample_temperature(temp_pin);" to "int raw = sample_temperature();" change you mentioned. Makes me think maybe you have a different version of firmware or something. I have rev. 3417.

Johnny
January 26, 2010 07:19PM
Thanks a lot!

I downloaded another version of the 5D firmware, and made the SDA and SCL connections, and got the extruder stepper to move. However, I can't seem to turn the heater on. Any suggestions?

Mo
January 26, 2010 07:59PM
Oh, apparently the heater output was one of the MOSFET outputs without PWM (output C- and C+). I wonder if there is a way to change. I suppose I could do without PWM.

One strange thing is still happening though. The stepper motor of the extruder would only turn on one of my computers and not the other. Is there any settings in the host software I should be aware of?
February 17, 2010 02:08PM
@Nielson

What part of net-etiquette don't you understand, spamming every active debate with your questions is hardly the way to get people to co-operate with you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login