Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hardware Emergency Stop

Posted by epicepee 
Hardware Emergency Stop
April 11, 2014 10:42PM
As the subject says, I want a hardware emergency stop button. AFAIK, Pronterface doesn't even have an emergency stop button, and besides it's nice for it to be in hardware. I've got the hardware side covered, but I couldn't figure out how to wire it to the RAMPS.

My first thought was to wire a switch to the reset pin. Apparently, though, RAMPS doesn't break it out -- it just wires it to the built-in button.

Next, I figured I could use one of the endstop pins. I can't seem to find where in Repetier-Firmware I can set an emergency stop pin, though.

Has anyone done this?
Re: Hardware Emergency Stop
April 12, 2014 05:13AM
You do want to use the reset pin. Everything else is handled by software and as such not 100% reliable. Gen7's reset is available at the extension header, for RAMPS you likely want to solder a wire directly onto the board.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 12, 2014 02:42PM
How about one of these? Ebay
April 12, 2014 03:01PM
Wire the emergency-stop inline with the ac input of your power supply. An e-stop needs to absolutely shutdown the entire printer to stop it, hitting a reset doesn't always do that.
Remember, an e-stop is used for those "it's on fire" moments. hot smiley
April 13, 2014 12:59AM
I have just used a ESB (Emergency Stop Button) purchased on ebay. I connected it between the DC supply line to RAMPS.
It kills to power to the motors and the hotend and heated bed.
If the USB connection is still being used instead of the SD, power enough to keep the file alive is still there, but not enough power to move any motors.
Problem can be rectified if something simple like broken filament or a jam, and on restoring power the print can possibly continue.
It is simple and safe and also very cheap.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
April 13, 2014 09:56AM
I am using reset pin and power supply switchs, both. Depend what and how have to stop.
April 13, 2014 09:30PM
I use Repetier host and it has an emergency stop and so far it's worked perfect every time I used it. Though a power supply switch would be the ultimate stop.
April 14, 2014 11:38AM
I can't connect mine to the power supply, since it doesn't have an on/off and my switch can't handle that kind of current. I'll see if I can solder to the Reset button.
April 15, 2014 05:23AM
Not quite the same thing, but I have wired up a smoke alarm to cut the mains power to the printer.
It has a test button which allows it to be activated manually, so in effect it can act like an emergency stop if necessary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login