Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help needed finding print file please

Posted by kdtop 
Help needed finding print file please
April 13, 2014 06:52PM
Hello all,

I have a Rep Rap Mendel Mono. I have had my printer for about a year now, and just recently my extruder gear stripped out. The hex-head slot that the metal bolt fits into at the gear axis doesn't hold strength anymore. I wish I would have noticed this earlier enough that I could have printed out a replacement, but now I'm stuck.

I have two problems: 1) find the file to print, and then 2) get one printed.

My current arrangement looks like the one at this link [reprap.org]

The very top image shows alternatives. Mine is the one on the right. I am looking for the STL file for the large wagon wheel appearing gear.

I spent about a half hour trying to track down the print file to no avail. Could anyone post a link to it? I would appreciate it.

Item two, how would be the best way to get one printed? I know that I can use Shapeways if noting else. Is there a forum for people willing to make prints for others?

Thanks

Kevin

EDIT: I live in Tennessee, USA. I would be happy to reimburse expenses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 09:53PM by kdtop.
Re: Help needed finding print file please
April 13, 2014 08:39PM
I think this is it [www.thingiverse.com]

Or this one [www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 08:42PM by tmorris9.
April 13, 2014 08:40PM
Yes someone will likely offer to print you one but it really helps to know what part of the world you are in to make postage easier.
April 13, 2014 09:53PM
Thanks, I live in TN, USA.
April 13, 2014 11:17PM
Thank you for these links. I downloaded the files and imported them into OpenSCAD. They appear to be the correct diameter, and even the correct number of teeth. One has 4 spokes, the other with 5 spokes.

My concern is that the center hub of both options is fully the height of the rim, with gears. Below is a photo of my gear.

[imgur.com]

My center hub is about 2 mm below the level of the rim and has a slight conical shape. I am concerned that a difference in height will throw off the groove that grips the ABS/PLA filament.

I thought that the RepRap people had repositories of the original files. I wish I could find them! If no one knows of them, I may be able to shave down the center hub with modeling software, though OpenSCAD gave me a fit when I tried it a minute ago.

Thanks for all the effort so far!

Kevin
April 14, 2014 03:52AM
Why don't you superglue the bolt in the gear and that way you'll be able to print your own gear. Second option is to heat a bolt up just a little bit hold it by the threaded end with vice grips and gently press it in where hex was an creative small pocket not to deep unless you're experienced I would try the glue first

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 03:58AM by cnc dick.
April 14, 2014 04:10AM
kdtop
My center hub is about 2 mm below the level of the rim and has a slight conical shape
Kevin

Like this one?
April 14, 2014 07:12AM
Hurray!! Thank you so much!

I think I am going to first check on the cost of making a metal one from Shapeways. If that's too expensive, I'll post back to see if I can get anyone to print me one.

Thanks again.

Kevin
April 14, 2014 07:35AM
OK. To print a metallic one on ShapeWays would cost $60. That's too much right now.

Is anyone willing to print one for me? I would prefer ABS, but anything would be OK. Any color is OK.

Attached is a zip file with the .STL file and my work address.

I am willing to reimburse for postage and a reasonable amount for your time and effort.

Thanks!

Kevin
Attachments:
open | download - Archive.zip (76.9 KB)
April 14, 2014 03:00PM
Did you read my reply that must be dozens of ways that you can temporarily fix this to print your own drilling inserting a pin through the hex or shaft. I think glue would be the first thing to try
April 14, 2014 04:06PM
Sent you a PM
April 16, 2014 12:16PM
User tmorris9 printed one out for me. I just got it today. He is the man! I looks great. I sent him some cash as a thank-you.

Thanks so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 12:17PM by kdtop.
April 16, 2014 12:20PM
I had missed your posts. Sorry! I did try super glue, and it wasn't strong enough. I like your idea about heating the bolt up. That is a good idea. And putting a pin through is interesting, but I don't think I have enough precision tools to achieve that one. But as per my other post, another user sent me a replacement, so I should be back in business.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Kevin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login